Sci Fi GB Chat

February 27th, 2018, 10:50 am #1

Discuss your favourite Sci Fi models, movies or TV shows. You can also share your reference photos, books and websites.

This is the thread you're looking for.

February 28th, 2018, 10:07 am #3

OOPS too long editing.

Interesting resource Here. Still trying to decide what to build.

Current thinking is to either finish my Dalek with the Victory of the Daleks scheme

But it's more or less just a paint job with the utility belt thing added, and I think as it's part built it violates the 25% rule, but it's an excuse to get it off the top of the bookcase that it's been parked on for the last 10 years.

OR.... (And I'm leaning towards this one) the UD- 4L Cheyenne otherwise known as the dropship from Aliens (probably my favorite film)

Now there are some complications here. There is Halcyon kit in 1:72, however they are listed on ebay for upwards of €650 so that's not a runner, however I have this (there are actually 6 a3 pages, so it's going to be big).

Which I've scaled and printed to 1:72 (more or less) so I'm thinking 172 scratchbuild (should be somewhere between the Saint Chamond and the Depredussin wrt difficulty) and maybe add a few mods etc rather than a pure Aliens replica (there's a slightly different model in both Alien vs Predator and Aliens Covenant) I have the paint (part of my recent AK international purchase) I have the skills (I think) just need to make sure I have enough plastic card on hand, Oh and I may still finish the Dalek as well

Last edited by Marklo on February 28th, 2018, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2018, 11:07 am #4

Nice one Marklo!

If ever a kit needed reissuing, it's the Dropship from Aliens. The original kit wasn't great to start with from what i've seen.

Probably a Star Wars build for me.....maybe the Bandai Slave One ;)

What is everyone else building?

Dermot

February 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm #5

Can't wait to start my builds. I have a Bandai A-wing, and a little unusual build.

Last edited by Mick_Keenan on February 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2018, 1:03 pm #6

Dermot wrote: What is everyone else building?

Dermot
I will be doing the NX-Alpha/NX-Beta (1:144) from the Star Trek "Enterprise" series.

I may also, if the kit arrives from the US on time, do the Rocinante from the Netflix "The Expanse" series - it is on order with Fantastic Plastic in California.

Philip
Last edited by Prenton on February 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To boldly go..."

March 5th, 2018, 8:53 am #7

I'd agree the drop ship from aliens definitely needs re-issue or someone to make it in resin at reasonable cost as those prices on ebay is stupid money.

I'd love to take part but still got so much other stuff to complete and not even started the A6 for Vietnam. Other issue is without buying a new kit all my sci-fi stuff is work and progress and if the rule applied to 25% build time then I'd have no issues as the paint jobs on the Star Destroyer and Falcon would take over 75% of the model build time :)

Then again the Halo warthog with some alternations is tempting me as it is a cheap enough kit, where all other sci-fi kits I am after well lets not talk price on those.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't ?

March 5th, 2018, 10:56 pm #8

I just looked up that kit, and it is a mad price on ebay. You would think it was made of gold, or something.

I just started the build and posted about my little odd ship.

March 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm #9

My entry is going to be the Revell republic Gunship

2018-03-08_05-15-52

I also have in my stash somewhere some large mishapen lumps of resin that allegedly when assembled resemble a Galor/Keldon-type Cardassian cruiser which I picked up in a charity shop a few years ago. It's made the trip out to Tallaght to the kitswap each year since with no success so I might put it out of its misery and fulfil its destiny
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

March 8th, 2018, 7:42 pm #10

Parkadge wrote:so I might put it out of its misery and fulfil its destiny
What, a warp core breach?
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here