Revell 1:24 Red Bull Racing RB8 +++FINISHED+++

December 27th, 2014, 9:04 pm #1

Hi all,

I'm doing the KUTA GB and I took advantage of getting back to the bench for the first time in a long time to also get started on my next build, Vettel's RB8. I've always had an interest in F1 and I watched a few races at the end of the most recent season which got me into it again. Then I went looking for F1 kits and this one grabbed my eye:

It's Red Bull's 2012 car, with which Vettel won the World Championship and Red Bull won the Constructor's Championship (both for the third consecutive year).

I've never done any sort of car in my life, so I'm definitely out of my comfort zone with this one. I am already trying to figure out what order to build it, and more importantly, when to paint/decal it. The main Blue is a Tamiya Rattle Can that I also bought, so I reckon I'll be spraying most of the blue on the individual parts and then assembling them, as masking the non-blue parts would be a nightmare. The decals go on as you build, though I'm not certain whether I should put any colour on the parts that are covered by the 'Carbon Fibre' decals.

Anyhow, today I got all the sprues primed, and here they are:

And here are all the decals, a key component of this build as you can imagine:

Most of the top right of the sheet are the 'Carbon Fibre' decals.

The first few steps are assembling the engine, which won't really be seen anyhow, so I'm safe enough there. But I'd appreciate any build advice about cars, especially F1 cars. Apart from the Tamiya Rattle Can for the blue, everything else will be brush painted. I hope to get started on this in the next couple of days.

Thanks...

J.
Last edited by Jasonb on March 2nd, 2015, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

December 27th, 2014, 9:54 pm #2

Interesting build, Jason - good luck!

Philip
"To boldly go..."

December 28th, 2014, 6:41 pm #3

That looks cool Jason - I didn't think you had a 'comfort zone', given the variety of builds you do.

I sent you an SMS link to an online build of that kit; there's plenty of build examples out there on the 'web. From what I've read, the tail assembly needs to be all built & finished first, with the other parts built as sub-assemblies. And the decals need plenty of solution to fit around all the curves.

Good luck with the build!
Dermot

December 29th, 2014, 11:37 am #4

Thanks for that Dermot! And I suppose you right, I've done a few different types of builds over the last few years. That said, this does actually have wings on it, though they're upside down... :)

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

KMF

December 29th, 2014, 11:24 pm #5

Hi Jason

I built a Jordan F1 car years ago. I was thinking of building one over the Christmas, but ended up starting a London Taxi.

The only thing I can say to you is that the paint finish has to be perfect. As gloss paint will show up any mistakes. The paint finish is the BIG thing in car, motorbike and airline models.

Regards

Ken
Production Line
Line No. 1 - 1/72 Iranian Air Force F-14A Tomcat
Line No. 2 - 1/72 F-4F Phantom Pharewell 1973-2013

Deleivered Line
1 - 1/144 Airbus A330-300 Aer Lingus
2- 1/48 F-15j 50th Anniversary of JASDF 305th TFS Hyakuri Air Base
3 - 1/200 CP Air Boeing 747-200
4 - 1/144 Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

December 30th, 2014, 10:02 pm #6

Thanks Ken, I was thinking/worried about that myself, it's all about the paint/decals. I'll see how I get on, I could do with an airbrush (and being skilled at using one!) but I'll make do with my normal brushes and the rattle can.

I broke the habit of a lifetime and started on this kit while still working on another (the 2nd gloss coat on the F-117a is drying). I got the engine done tonight, pretty straight forward, especially as none of it will be seen, so I could make do with a simple paint job and a bit of a wash:

I quite like the metallic black part on the top, it's also the colour I'll be using under all the Carbon Fibre decals and it looks the part, which is good.

Anyhow, tomorrow is back to the F-117a so it'll be another couple of days before I get back to this, but it's good to have it started!

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

December 31st, 2014, 10:20 am #7

Jasonb wrote:I broke the habit of a lifetime and started on this kit while still working on another (the 2nd gloss coat on the F-117a is drying).
Jason, I think that is an easy habit to break, made myself the same promise when I took modelling back up and I think even before finishing the first model it got broke and a second begun.

Anyway looking very good, and like you a big F1 fan and even though this is Red Bull and Vettel of whom I'm not a fan of either I am following this build with interest and looking forward to it progressing.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't ?

December 31st, 2014, 2:40 pm #8

Thanks! Not a particular Red Bull or Vettel fan myself, but I'm very interested in the technological aspect of F1 so I wanted to build a pretty modern car, and this was the most modern one I could find! :)

J.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here

December 31st, 2014, 8:26 pm #9

Interesting subject, I'm for a change completely uninterested in F1 ;) But why have you primed the parts in sprues ? Glue won't bite properly and you're losing the advantage of the first priming cote showing imperfections of sanding and filling. Or am I missing something? ;)

December 31st, 2014, 10:53 pm #10

Nope, not missing anything Michael, it's basically a compromise!

Firstly, I'm a brush painter, and I prime using a rattle can. Which means I have to prime outside, which depends on the weather, always awkward this time of year. So, to make things a bit easier for me, what I tend to do with a normal build (i.e an aircraft) is I prime all the internal parts (cockpit etc.) and some of the external parts (undercarriage, pylons etc.) on the sprues. The parts that make up the airframe I leave until assembled, and then prime to check seams etc. like you say. To be honest, I've never had much issue gluing primed parts together.

However, and here's the next point, I'm not familiar with this type of build (F1 car) at all, and even after checking the instructions several times, it's still not clear to me which parts will be fully internal or fully external, or worse, half and half, and therefore which parts could be primed separately. It's also very hard to tell which seams I have to worry about, and which will be hidden by other parts, once assembled.

So, to save time, make it easier on myself, and to take advantage of a bright, dry day, I primed the lot in one go. As I build, if I find a sub-assembly that has seams etc. that will be visible, I can always just do a light coat of primer again. The worry of the thickness of two coats of rattle can primer fades away compared to the thickness of brush painted paint anyhow.

So, basically I did it this way to make it easier on myself due to some restrictions (having to rattle can prime outdoors) and due to lack of familiarity with the construction process with this type of build.

Hope that all makes sense?

J.
Last edited by Jasonb on January 6th, 2015, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench -

Completed builds -
Click here