National Competition

August 29th, 2018, 8:26 pm #1

Hi guys, as this will be my first attempt at showing my builds and diaramas at the national competition in October, I would like to know if there are strict rules and regulations regarding what size, form or types etc are acceptable, if so, where can I obtain a list of the 'does and dont's'.
Thanks for any help.

August 29th, 2018, 9:46 pm #2

Hi Paul,

Look forward to seeing your builds at the show! :wave:

You can find rules and regs as well as entry forms on the IPMS website

There are some do's (not many don'ts) but hopefully it's all clear - most of the classes are fairly straightforward but if you're in any doubt, just ask here and you'll get an answer. Sean (35th Scale) is the Competition Secretary so he'll answer any sticky ones... :-"

The only restrictions re sizes would be the size of diorama bases (Rule 13). There are size limits and for any base over 4 sq ft needs advance notice - that's just to ensure we have adequate table space to display it at the show. For your other queries, probably best to read the rules and ask a question here.

Hope that helps but any other queries, ask away.

Cheers,
Dermot

August 30th, 2018, 9:09 am #3

Paul - just one further point. If you have models that you do not intend to enter in the competition, there is the option of displaying them on the Dublin Chapter table at the show. Just let me know how much space you need.

Cheers,

Philip
"To boldly go..."

August 30th, 2018, 7:12 pm #4

Philip may I ask you a question, I have an aircraft that I intend to enter in October.it is an Eduard Profipack kit, hopefully this still qualifies as an oob build, as it was bought this way. Just want to clarify this for myself. Thanking you.

August 30th, 2018, 9:12 pm #5

providerjack wrote:Philip may I ask you a question, I have an aircraft that I intend to enter in October.it is an Eduard Profipack kit, hopefully this still qualifies as an oob build, as it was bought this way. Just want to clarify this for myself. Thanking you.
John - if the kit is done completely from the kit instructions (which instructions of course must be placed with the model), then it is an oob build (notwithstanding the etch, masks etc that come with the Profipack). That qualifies in the SK category. If, however, you have added something to it, other than allowed in the SK definition in the rules, then it cannot be in the SK class.

Sounds like, from what you have said, that is is eligible in the SK class (ie the out of the box build class)

Philip
"To boldly go..."

August 31st, 2018, 8:34 am #6

Prenton wrote:
providerjack wrote:Philip may I ask you a question, I have an aircraft that I intend to enter in October.it is an Eduard Profipack kit, hopefully this still qualifies as an oob build, as it was bought this way. Just want to clarify this for myself. Thanking you.
John - if the kit is done completely from the kit instructions (which instructions of course must be placed with the model), then it is an oob build (notwithstanding the etch, masks etc that come with the Profipack). That qualifies in the SK category. If, however, you have added something to it, other than allowed in the SK definition in the rules, then it cannot be in the SK class.

Sounds like, from what you have said, that is is eligible in the SK class (ie the out of the box build class)

Philip
One more query Philip, what if a kit is bought without instructions and decals, downloaded instructions but I am afraid printer of mine does not cooperate what then/. Thanking you.

August 31st, 2018, 1:36 pm #7

John - the rules say that, if you don't have instructions, it cannot enter the SK classes. Sorry - them's the rules!

(you might get a friend to download them for you, though, if they have a handy printer..... ;) )

Philip
"To boldly go..."

August 31st, 2018, 5:05 pm #8

As this thread is up can I recommend that all members read the rules and regulations of the competition, there are a lot of helpful tips in there re judging and what is expected of a model entered in the competition.

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire