Mid-West Branch Meetings

October 25th, 2012, 4:51 pm #1

The Mid-West Branch typically meet on the first Saturday of every month at the Atlantic Airventure Centre in Shannon town, Co. Clare. That's located at Hogan's Cross as you come in on the old road (not the dual carriageway). Meetings are usually held in the afternoon. Please check the latest postings in this thread for updated information.

Last edited by Admin on August 1st, 2014, 6:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

October 25th, 2012, 5:01 pm #2

Here are the Limerick\Shannon lads enjoying themselves on the 21st of January, 2012 in the canteen of Airventure.

On the 11th of March, 2012 the Limerick\Shannon branch put on a large, and impressive, display at the Irish Amateur Radio Society just outside Limerick City.

First the Wehrmact and followed by the Luftwaffe.

Last edited by Admin on October 25th, 2012, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 25th, 2012, 5:39 pm #3

On the 7th of April, 2012 the lads had a bit of a small meeting as they were busy sorting out details for the IPMS Ireland Nationals in September.

Still, they provided us with this little gem.

On the 25th of August, 2012 the lads set up for an open day at the Airventure centre which provided a handy dry run for setting up the competition area for the Nationals.

They also got themselves a new toy to look at; a fully functional Blackburn Buccaneer fitted with the nose of a Panavia Tornado. :wub:

October 25th, 2012, 5:49 pm #4

Finally we have this picture, taken on October 6th, 2012.

Liam wrote:Martin is the seated gentleman in the middle.

Martin flew a huge range of aircraft during the Second World War with the RAF ending the war flying Lancasters. He also flew BAC 1-11's and 737's. He brought his log-books as well and his last entry for active service in World War 2 was 'War finished. Germany kaput!'

He was very gracious to allow us to take a group shot with him. I should also mention that today ( I think he said it was today) is his 90th birthday. Many thanks to all at the Atlantic Airventure for allowing us to borrow their guest for the photo.
This is why I love this hobby and this club!

November 4th, 2012, 9:18 am #5

Our latest meeting was held on Saturday November 3rd.

Some 'old' punters couldn't make it, namely Alan and Lindsay and we have welcomed Colin and his three boys again and first time Lim/Shnn meeting attendee Martin, sorry if I got the name wrong, I believe he's known to a Dublin folk from their meetings.
We have been doing some simple plaster casting demonstration, using ordinary Plaster of Paris and some cheap plastic 'party plates' as a casting mould.
The ultimate aim of this demo is to have a number of universal unified bases for our models with range of various terrain surfaces - grass, road, tarmac, airfield concrete runway and so on - to suit most of our models. These bases will be used during our branch displays and will be there for any of Lim/Shnn member to use them when entering model to some competition.

No photos have been taken this time, but we'll keep you posted on the progress...

Our next meeting will be held in Atlantic Airventure, Shannon, on Saturday 1st of December at 1400 hours. The plan for this meeting is to:
- create terrain on our currently cast bases
- paint wooden effect on the edges
And we expect some brief talk on Telford show from Alan, Lindsay and Danny amongst many other things

Everybody's welcome
Last edited by FiSe on November 4th, 2012, 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filip . . . .

November 4th, 2012, 10:53 am #6

04 11 2012
Thanks for the demonstration Filip. Very much appreciated.

Liam

November 27th, 2012, 10:40 am #7

I have received message from organisers of the Cork model fair, in which they expressed gratitude to our branch for attending this fair. So, I am passing it on to all members of Limerick/Shannon Branch.
Well done and thank you for showing real team spirit and unity on which IPMS Ireland is based and on which or club should operate.

Just thought that I will post this one here, just in case I will forget to mention it on Saturday during our 'business talk' over a cup of tea...
Last edited by FiSe on November 27th, 2012, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filip . . . .

December 2nd, 2012, 2:30 pm #8

Last regular meeting of Limerick/Shannon Branch was busy enough, with most of the branch members in attendance.
We have continued with our 'base building skills' crash course and, as you can see from the photograph we kept busy and quiet. The 'glasshouse' area was nice and bright, warm and christmassy. We have tried simple wooden effect using oil paints and sponge, although tutor forgot to bring a drop or two of white spirit :$ , so it was slightly tougher task than it should be, but we've got there at the end.
Some of the Limerick/Shannon branch members hard at work:

After all the plaster of Paris bases were transformed into nice wooden ones we have tried various types of basic surfaces on the top of the bases for displaying our models.
Using hi-tech technology like sauce-pan lid, business cards and a bit of sharpened wire we have created : Grass, that was the easy one, concrete slabs and some natural field/desert finish, using ashes and PVA glue.
All of the basis are resting in warm area to get remaining trapped moisture out of the plaster, before final painting and finishing will commence:

Their big premiere will be during our 'Regionals' on 16th of December.

This will be as well our last club meeting before the end of the World and we'll see all survivors on our regular post-apocalypse meeting on 5th of January 2013, usual time - 14.00 - usual place - Atlantic Airventure Centre, Shannon.

All and every surviving modeller is welcome
Last edited by FiSe on December 2nd, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Filip . . . .

December 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm #9

Thanks Filip,
Sorry I was late and missed the mixing and spreading.
See you on the 16th
David
PS Anybody know where one can get Alclad II in the republic?
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

December 8th, 2012, 7:29 am #10

Nice one lads, good to see some young blood in attendance.

James
To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.