April 9th, 2013, 6:27 pm #41

Looks like ye all flew the flag Well..nice and busy display table..well done

April 10th, 2013, 12:13 pm #42

Really nice looking table of models showing great varity. Well done guys.
Joe
On the bench in order of nearest to completion;
A Z Models 1/72 Morane "WR". (Schneider race entry from 1914).
SRAM Models 1/144 SIA 7-B (Resin)
Valom Models 1144 A pair of Sopwith Pups
MSD Models 1/72 Vickers Vimy 66 Commercial
Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII conversion to a two seater
Curtiss Condor (added 24/4/18) 1/81

April 10th, 2013, 12:22 pm #43

Thanks guys, this was our 2nd time on this show - we missed last year's one - and somebody commented that the quality of the models on display is much better than 2years ago.
I think, that regular meetings and visiting shows and competitions here and abroad are a good way of how to improve modelling skills.
Filip . . . .

April 18th, 2013, 3:10 pm #44

Our next meeting is a couple of weeks away yet, but just a quick thought... While doing some bits on one of my long term projects I thought, that it might be good to go back to basics this time and do some quick demo to cover basic modelling skill of 'Sprue stretching' and working with the stretched plastic.

The workshop should cover the following:

- sprue stretching
- aircraft aerial making and fixing those to the model
- afv aerial making
- making rivet and bolt heads out of the stretched sprue
- cables and wires imitation using stretched sprue
- weld seams enhancement and so on...

We will be talking about forthcoming IMSS Show in Dublin and our possible attendance on this event as well as the usual banter over our finished, half finished or not yet started bits of plastic.

Any input welcome, see you all on May the 4th, as mentioned on previous page
Last edited by FiSe on April 19th, 2013, 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filip . . . .

April 18th, 2013, 10:53 pm #45

FiSe wrote:Our next meeting is a couple of weeks away yet, but just a quick thought... While doing some bits on one of my long term projects I thought, that it might be good to go back to basics this time and do some quick demo to cover basic modelling skill of 'Sprue stretching' and working with the stretched plastic.

The workshop should cover the following:

- sprue stretching
- afv aerial making

Any input welcome
Filip

If you are going down the route of stretching sprue and making aerials (to say nothing of rigging), I do know an expert in this area:

Joe Moran (Joseph M).

You could do worse that invite him down to the Limerick area to show how it should be done! A real "experten"!

See page 2 of the Dublin thread:- http://w11.zetaboards.com/IPMS_Ireland_ ... 8199887/2/ - the posts of November 17th 2012 and November 18th 2012 refer.

Joe can stretch sprue like nobody can! ;)

Cheers,

Philip
Last edited by Prenton on April 18th, 2013, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To boldly go..."

April 19th, 2013, 7:02 am #46

Thanks, Philip, looks like that Joe is the man.
Nevertheless, we'll try to use our own expertise this time and we'll see how far we'll get and how good is our knowledge in this field.

edit: before it gets misinterpreted, Joe and everyone else are more than welcome to attend our meeting and share their knowledge and modelling skills, but, as it stands at the moment, our branch, can not afford to invite people from other parts of Ireland on sole purpose of workshop/demos/lectures and so on. The cost connected with such an invites is, simply, too high.
Last edited by FiSe on April 19th, 2013, 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filip . . . .

May 1st, 2013, 9:43 am #47

As it has been announced in the previous posts, next regular meeting of Limerick / Shannon Branch will be on this Saturday 4th of May at 14.00 hours in the usual venue – Atlantic Airventure Centre, Shannon.

..and to repeat myself once again:

We should have a quick master class on stretching sprue and consequent work with the stretched plastic ‘thread’, during our 1st half of the meeting and we should be covering the following techniques during this workshop:
- sprue stretching
- afv aerial making
- weld seams enhancement...

On top of this, we should have the usual model related banter and inspection of work in progress and recently finished models of our branch members.
And we should be talking about our plans for upcoming IMSS Show and our branch display at The Conclave in Thomond Park in June. I have another one or two things to discuss with branch members as well.
Looks like another busy meeting ahead and, as per usual practice, everybody’s welcome to come along.

BTW, I have updated our list of events for 2013 – post #24 on the previous page
Filip . . . .

May 7th, 2013, 4:14 pm #48

Well, we have welcomed a new member of IPMS Ireland on our latest meeting - Christy, who is planning and scheming his master piece. In utmost secrecy, I have to say and he has let out only a few hints, so, good luck to you, Christy, let's hope everything will work out for you as it should. We can't wait to see this project, partial progress or finished as it sounds very interesting.

As announced we have had a crash course on sprue stretching and some other basic techniques using the raw stretched polymer. Nothing over complicated, nothing from the obscure art of modelling, just a basic stuff. But important stuff...

There's been a lot of sci-fi, Star Wars, Galactica and game talking thanks to Liam, who started it all by bringing his 2 kits of Colonial Viper, one from Revell in 1/32 scale, the other one cast in resin in much larger 1/24 scale. Don't remember the manufacturer though...
In between the parachuting jeeps and invincible players talk we have managed to have a word about upcoming IMSS show and The Conclave as well.

And finaly, airbrush and air compressor have been made available to our branch members thanks to The Mad Clown Design Industry to push our skills that bit further.
Just to satisfy your curiosity, the air compressor is Iwata Sprint Jet and airbrush is Badger 200NH, with medium and fine nozzles and side cup.

Filip . . . .

May 7th, 2013, 6:39 pm #49

07 05 2013
The resin Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper is by FM Sci-Fi Models. I am not sure of the actual scale but I think it's possibly larger than 1/24. Never got the actual scale. I bought it about 6 years ago but never got around to building it. :)

Liam

May 27th, 2013, 12:55 pm #50

Before I'll start, only quick re-cap of our branch member success on the, just gone, IMSS show:
Alan - 2 bronzes
Lindsay - 1 bronze, 1 commended
Filip - 2 golds, 1 bronze, 1 commended

Alan and Lindsay made 100% 'return' with 2 kits each entered in the competition. It was nice to see other IPMS IRL members going back and forth to get some precious metal for their creations - see the main IMSS thread in the 'event' section. The standard of the competition was much higher than in the previous years so well done guys and well deserved!

So, after success on this year's IMSS show, we are back to usual business...

Next regular meeting of Limerick/Shannon Branch will be on this Saturday 1st of June, 14.00 hours, at Atlantic Airventure Centre, Shannon.
There is no any specific program on, this time, but we'll have a chat about the above mentioned competition and we'll be planning our attendance on upcoming Wargaming event in Thomond Park - 'The Conclave'. This event is on over the weekend 15-16th of June.
And there's a thing or two I'd like to run through re our 'Modelling Munster' show in December.

Everybody's welcome
See yis all there
Filip . . . .