February 26th, 2013, 3:22 pm #31

FiSe wrote:Forgot about those cockpits, Liam... Well, that makes this meeting even busier than planned :)
Filip,
A bit late now but wqould you consider a change from "Modelling Munster" to " Scale Modelling Munster" it will make googleing it a lot easier. If one googles Modelling Munster, one gets all the model agencies in the country.
And you never know what else you might get !!
David
Last edited by Opadag on February 26th, 2013, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

February 26th, 2013, 6:27 pm #32

I like the 'modelling' stuff as you've describe it... a play on words and a bit of fun. You will not get any goooogle results until there's a bit of traffic on the - still only working version of the - webpage. If that makes sense.

Furthermore, I was intentionally trying to avoid that 'scale modelling' phrase as is already occupied by 'rebel' crowd and I didn't want to cause any confusion, bad blood or just stupid comments on the almighty web, after all, you never know when the big bro is looking over your shoulder...
Last edited by FiSe on February 27th, 2013, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filip . . . .

February 26th, 2013, 9:31 pm #33

26 02 2013
You wouldn't want to give us a bit more detail about those other 'modelling' sites, David? Just so we know what to avoid.
:)

Liam

February 26th, 2013, 10:30 pm #34

yeehah1 wrote:26 02 2013
You wouldn't want to give us a bit more detail about those other 'modelling' sites, David? Just so we know what to avoid.
:)

Liam
easy, just google "Modelling Munster" all clean etc but no scale plastic modelling
Opadag
IPMS Ireland
AMSIG

February 27th, 2013, 8:05 am #35

Anyone gooogled 'D2' yet?

BTW, David, you will get a few results on Modelling Munster re scale modelling - links to a scale model display in the Tank Museum Münster in Germany.
All that googling is not as simple as it looks like. As I've said, the more hits on the page, the better position on the search engine ranking, the more request the better and so on... The page has to be promoted, talked about and so on.
Furthermore, as I have already mentioned, using 'Scale Modelling' in Irish connection could be quite misleading and as long as we are part of IPMS Ireland it would be wise, in my opinion, to make sure that any such connection leading to similar misinterpretation and indirect referrals to other groups is avoided.

As Modelling Munster project is still in a working stages and I will not put any links up until I am happy with the content and how it looks like. Speaking of which, only Liam has supplied profile info for this web presentation so far.

The point I am trying to make is, that at this stage, we have to focus on contents and then we can see what can be done in terms of Google ranking and web promotion.
No point of googling an empty page, or is there?

...and while at it, another edit of this post. The last one, promise: Just searched for 'modelling munster' in images to see what shows up, wel apart from a lot of rugby and some well dressed models there was this theme going through the pages:

Munsters vehicles, maybe we should accept these as our mascots? I think, that they are wowsers.
Last edited by FiSe on February 27th, 2013, 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Filip . . . .

February 27th, 2013, 11:18 am #36

Now for something totally different...

David, one of our junior members, has his picture in doodle for google competition, looking good too, so if you can cast your vote on this link for David H - muffin maker, it's the 5th image left to right or 2nd image from the top on left hand side.
Last edited by FiSe on February 27th, 2013, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filip . . . .

March 31st, 2013, 9:09 am #37

It’s been a few really busy weeks and, after a long silence, here’s the last from the Limerick / Shannon Branch...
Last month’s meeting went well. We had boring, nevertheless useful, lecture on theory behind structure and individual components which form painted surface. We had some sample of primers, varnishes and paints on show and we had a good discussion about our personal experiences and preferred materials and brands.

And, well, yes, Atlantic Airventure took delivery of ex-Swiss Vampire –FB.6 /?/ re-painted in the RAF desert colours with Suez crisis stripes. And we had a quick look at the Spitfire Mk.Vb cockpit, which is new to the AA Centre as well. The cockpit replica has been built using mostly original parts and it looks pretty good. We were guessing the mark, but we settled for Mk.Vb – or c version at the end. /Photos will be coming at some stage too/

Our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday the 6th of April at 14.00 and we should be welcoming a special guest - Gary from the Gathering - to teach us a trick or two.... Gary is top class figure painter. His speciality are tiny Warhammer figures and he has been awarded the 1st ever ‘Best Finish’ award on IPMS IRL Nationals in Cork for his creations. He’ll be attending our meeting to show us some of his skills and teach us the basics of figure painting.

We are delighted to have him for the afternoon and anyone interested in this workshop is more than welcome to pop in on the day.
Last edited by FiSe on March 31st, 2013, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filip . . . .

April 5th, 2013, 8:47 am #38

As promised, a couple of photos taken during last meeting of Limerick / Shannon Branch of IPMS Ireland:

Ex-Swiss AF Vampire, a new addition to the Atlantic Airventure outdoor display

Lindsay exploring details of another new arrival, a Spitfire cockpit replica, which was built using parts from the real aircraft

...and just a reminder our next meeting is on tomorrow Saturday 6th at 14.00 hours and we will be attending Die Cast show in West County Hotel this Sunday 7th!
I have completely forgot about this one, although I have made such a nice list of our shows only a few posts above, thanks Alan for reminding me.
There is a question mark over Gary attendance and his figure painting masterclass, we have a backup plan ready, just in case that Gary will not be able to attend. So, don't worry we will be busy either way, as usual...
Filip . . . .

April 9th, 2013, 12:59 pm #39

As is often the case, outside world intervened and we had to switch to our plan 'B' during our latest meeting of Limerick / Shannon Branch, as Gary couldn't made it at the end, due to circumstances beyond our or his control.
Nevertheless, we haven't stood still, boringly looking at each other, shaking our shoulders. Oh no, it's not us. We can always make a cup o'tea...

It was a final day of our local branch Irish themed non-aviation competition and there were some nice models on display.
Hamilton boys were very busy over the last few weeks and every member of the family in attendance brought a model and those were the stars of the day. 2 of those were scratch-built, 2 of them were conversions.
I know that I might be repeating myself again and again, but it's so nice to see such a talent and passion between the younger generation of modellers and you can see what I am talking about:

This is Sam's Free State Army officer, converted from Airfix figures in 1/32 scale. Sam is our youngest member.
Behind this figure you can see David's Bren carrier in 1/35 scale, photo of which can be found a few posts above

Colin's scratch-built RR armoured car in 1/48 scale, built without much of a reference material and based on some sketchy drawings found on the web.

Paul's Lancia AC, scratch-built in 1/48 scale as well, using the same sort of sketchy references as used on his father's RR above. This was the star of the day and well deserved winner, although it was a tough decision and every featured model would deserve to get an award.

Let's hope that this will be the case of Alan's RR AC in 1/35 scale, which looks the part so far and it's Alan's 1st ever venture to some proper modelling - aircraft are sooooooo yesterday like :P
Filip . . . .

April 9th, 2013, 1:10 pm #40

...and finally, our 2nd half of our 2days meeting took part in Ennis.
Limerick / Shannon Branch has been invited to the 3rd Die Cast Show and what a busy show that was. We have arrived around 10.00AM set up the table, pulled out our 'mobile workshops' to do some modelling while sitting there all day... well, did we get a chance? No!
People kept piling up since the time of our arrival and we have been busy talking, promoting and storytelling till 2o'clock! After a bit of a lull it all started again, although not with such a ferocity as in the morning.
It was a good day for our branch - and for IPMS Ireland.

the show itself was surprisingly big with a massive display of anything die cast, from cars, trucks to farm machinery, tractors and cranes as well as nicely done train layout from Midwest Scale Railway Club - I think anyway.

Our table on the show:

...and I should add the date of our next meeting, which is the usual 1st Saturday of each month: 4th of May, 14.00 hours, Atlantic Airventure Centre, Shannon and program of the meeting will be finalised and announced in due course...
Last edited by FiSe on April 9th, 2013, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Filip . . . .