November 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm #41

I see that Lidl are selling an illuminated magnifier next Monday(02/12/13) if anyone is interested.
See here for further details
Vincent
It's my hobby and I will enjoy it my way!

November 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm #42

Looks good but no idea of size. Worth taking a look at though. Thanks Vincent
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

November 28th, 2013, 11:36 pm #43

That's a GREAT find, Vincent - many thanks....I will certainly be going there on Monday - early....

I have one magnifier, but you can never have too many.....even for just the daylight type light...

I notice other things too, such as threads - should be good from SWMBO, who is into crafts of a more fabric type....

The paintbrushes are not really worth it, IMHO - got a set some time back, and they shed fairly quickly.....useful, I suppose, for weathering or dry brushing etc., but I wouldn't trust them to do main painting on a model.

Thanks!

Philip
Last edited by Prenton on November 29th, 2013, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To boldly go..."

November 29th, 2013, 10:48 am #44

Good call Vincent. I'll certainly pop down to my local Lidl on Monday lunchtime to take a look.

December 2nd, 2013, 11:22 pm #45

I went down to my local Lidl this morning and got one of the LED illuminated magnifiers. Well worth it, IMHO.

It provides an excellent level of light with the LED's - very much like daylight. Well worth the cost, I'd say, especially if your modelling area is only lit by normal spotlights or fluorescent tubes. If you don't want to use the magnifying centre, then that's fine, as there is a cover for that, and then it can be used only as a light. However, the magnifier is quite strong - the level of magnification is good. And the whole thing is reasonably sturdy, and clamps onto the side of the modelling table/desk.

Also on sale was a compressor and airbrush set - not worth it, IMHO, unless you are starting off with airbrushing and need to try it as your first before going for something more serious.

They also have various Art supplies including paintbrush sets (fairly crude but quite cheap - €1.99 - either in "hair" or "bristle" versions) and charcoal sets (perhaps worth getting for weathering purposes etc.). The rest of the artists stock is more for kids etc. If your SWMBO is into crafts of the fabric kind, there are other goodies there, including a quite reasonably priced sewing machine.

Thanks for the heads up, Vincent.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

December 5th, 2013, 8:45 pm #46

Prenton wrote:I went down to my local Lidl this morning and got one of the LED illuminated magnifiers. Well worth it, IMHO.

It provides an excellent level of light with the LED's - very much like daylight. Well worth the cost, I'd say, especially if your modelling area is only lit by normal spotlights or fluorescent tubes. If you don't want to use the magnifying centre, then that's fine, as there is a cover for that, and then it can be used only as a light. However, the magnifier is quite strong - the level of magnification is good. And the whole thing is reasonably sturdy, and clamps onto the side of the modelling table/desk.

Thanks for the heads up, Vincent.

Philip
I completely agree with everything Philip said there.Tthe area I have at the moment is not well lit. The Lidl lamp really makes a difference to me. At €36.99 well worth it for the hours usage I'm going to get out of it.

Graham

December 12th, 2013, 11:58 am #47

Available in Aldi on Sunday -> Airfix kits
Vincent
It's my hobby and I will enjoy it my way!

December 12th, 2013, 3:43 pm #48

Murfv wrote:Available in Aldi on Sunday -> Airfix kits
€6.99 is that a bargain?
How much do these cost in Marks or Toymaster?
(I left out Walshies because everything is a bargain there :) )
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

December 12th, 2013, 4:28 pm #49

Average price of these sets in Mark's seems to be €9.99, assuming they are the same sets (i.e. the Mark's ones aren't newer tools etc.).

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

December 12th, 2013, 6:28 pm #50

I was in Eason's today, and the same kits are going for between €10.99 and €13.99, so definitely a bargain.

Philip

"To boldly go..."