Installing Ad-block Extensions

November 3rd, 2012, 11:58 am #1

As you're probably now aware there is an advertisement banner at the top and bottom of the forum. At some point in the future the club may decide the to pay these away but for now we'll see how much of an impact they have.

Of course if you're using either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome then you're in luck because you can install the ever so handy adblock extension.

You're in more in luck because I'm going to show you how.

Installing Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox

Step One:

• Press the Alt key on your keyboard. That should bring up the toolbar menu above the browser tabs.
  • Click on the Tools from the menu.
  • Click on Add-ons, this will open a new window.
Step Two:

This is the new window you'll be presented with.
  • Once you enter the new window the browser will start you off in the Extensions tab. Ignore it and click on the Get Add-ons tab instead.
  • One again ignore everything here but the search bar in the upper right hand corner.
  • Type in Adblock Plus and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Step Three:

• The search shows up a list of options including Adblock Edge & Adblock Lite. Ignore them, they're are not the extensions you're looking for. ;)
  • Click on the link at the bottom: See all 119 results. You'll be taken to a new window.
Step Four:

This is the next window you're presented with and all you have to do is click on the Adblock Plus link.

Step Five:

Now just click Add to Firefox, it'll install and you're good to go. The next time you load a webpage with ad banners they'll be gone.
Last edited by Admin on November 3rd, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm #2

Installing Adblock Plus on Google Chrome

Step One:

• First you want to click on the triple bar symbol on the right hand side of the browser. This will bring up a menu.
  • Next click on Settings. This will open a new window.
Step Two:

• The new window will drop in the Settings tab but you want to click the Extensions tab.
  • As you can see I've already installed Adblock Plus. In your case you want to click on the link at the bottom called Get More Extensions. This will open a new window.
Step Three:

• When you enter the Chrome Web Store there will be banners for all sorts of extensions; you can ignore them.
  • Type Adblock Plus into the search bar and a list of extensions will present itself.
  • You want the one from ablockplus.org called, unsurprisingly, Adblock Plus. Click on Add to Chrome.
  • You've successfully installed the extension but we're not quite done. Re-open the Extensions tab from the settings menu and under Adblock Plus click on Options.
Step Four:

• The first thing you want to do here is add a new subscription to the list, in this case Easylist (English). Add it and make sure it is enabled.
  • Finally press the check box beside 'Allow non-intrusive advertising' to switch it off. You're finally done.

November 3rd, 2012, 2:20 pm #3

Now, if you're using Internet Explorer, Opera or Safari I can't really help you because they either don't support extensions or I'm not familiar with them. I will say though that Firefox and Chrome are the two highest rated browsers out there.

November 3rd, 2012, 11:39 pm #4

Thanks for that Sean. Simple to do and frighteningly effective
Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

November 4th, 2012, 1:19 pm #5

worked great for me sean ..thanks

November 5th, 2012, 7:42 pm #6

Thanks for the guidence Sean, worked perfectly for my Firefox
Vincent
It's my hobby and I will enjoy it my way!

November 12th, 2012, 1:01 pm #7

Just noticed that my IE9 isn't showing the Ads, so I'm guessing there's something built-in there that's blocking them...

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here