airbrush tips, guides

December 4th, 2014, 11:53 am #1

hi all just ordered this set, to get some more detailed paint finishes onto future models, can anyone recommend a source or tips for maintaining the airbrush, compressor, flows etc... as its all new to me

been working from a basic cheap single action brush and aircan till now... so well excited about this...

ebay airbrush http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS-186-Comple ... OC:IE:3160

December 4th, 2014, 1:54 pm #2

Best and easiest thing to do is contact their shop and see if they do the spares or can put you in contact with the source of the brush. As for maintaining, just follow all the usual tips. Spray it through with whatever thinners you use to clear out the paint. Run a drop of water through to rinse it out almost. Careful with the needle and follow all the instructions on how to take it apart and put it back together.
Compressor looks fairly alright. Same basic thing, follow everything it tells you and seems to have a release valve in the bottom. When you use all the air in the tank you might need to open that to get the water out of the tank as it can build up inside and cause you problems. Again just follow anything the instructions tell you and shouldn't have any problems :D

December 4th, 2014, 2:45 pm #3

Brill thanks Dasike, have a few tutorial videos bookmarked from youtube to get through...
looking forward to experimenting with it :D

June 30th, 2015, 2:50 pm #4

Before applying primer by airbrush should i polish the model BEFORE or AFTER the primer goes on (polshing by means of a polishing stick).thanks

June 30th, 2015, 3:00 pm #5

What is the reason for polishing?
Removing small scratches and dust?
There's thing called sanding mesh or polishing cloth. Basically, a cloth covered with very fine sanding dust. That'll should polish model and give it nice finish. You can polish before primer and after primer as well. All depends how happy you are with the primer finish.

A small basic tutorial of 'how to paint' is here
Filip . . . .

July 1st, 2015, 12:39 am #6

The idea is simply to have a "shiny" finish to the plastic in the hope Iit gives a better surface for primer/ paint to adhere to.

July 1st, 2015, 6:46 am #7

Well, in theory, the shinier finish the worse adhesion as there is no 'key' to which the paint can stick to.
But, in plastic modelling, we are blessed that it doesn't work, entirely, this way.
So, polish the model before primer, wash the model as per the step-by-step thread in the link in my above post, do your primer, polish it again, if you wish, wash it again, ready for camouflage.

Some people do the polishing after each cammo paint... There's no right and no wrong, it's all down to the quality of finish during each stage of painting process and paints used. Some paints are very fragile, some can withstand a bit of abuse.
Filip . . . .

July 1st, 2015, 10:04 am #8

Forgot to say the model in question is the airfix 1/72 hawk t1 "red arrows 50th anniversary" kit (yep I love the bae hawk,this will be my 3rd one)

July 5th, 2015, 8:01 pm #9

This maybe a stupid question but here it goes when igot my airbrush kit I bought 2 extra air brushes 1 cheap ones and one a bit more expensive I'm going to use the dear one for all the main painting of wings ect, and the cheap ones I'm gonna use one for metallic paints and the other for clear coats only I'm at the stage now on my mephis belle where I'm gonna start on the first clear coat which I'll be using klear so do I need to dilute this in anyway and if so what with and also when cleaning the air brush will I use thinners and then airbrush cleaner or will water do and is it alright to use klear in a airbrush as I don't want to ruin it or melt the o rings or something like that just want to be safe than sorry
Thank in advance

Des
Last edited by des byrne on July 5th, 2015, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2015, 9:03 pm #10

des byrne wrote:This maybe a stupid question but here it goes when igot my airbrush kit I bought 2 extra air brushes 1 cheap ones and one a bit more expensive I'm going to use the dear one for all the main painting of wings ect, and the cheap ones I'm gonna use one for metallic paints and the other for clear coats only I'm at the stage now on my mephis belle where I'm gonna start on the first clear coat which I'll be using klear so do I need to dilute this in anyway and if so what with and also when cleaning the air brush will I use thinners and then airbrush cleaner or will water do and is it alright to use klear in a airbrush as I don't want to ruin it or melt the o rings or something like that just want to be safe than sorry
Thank in advance

Des
Hi Des

I use Klear neat in my airbrush, and it works fine. If you want, you can dilute it with a little water. Main thing is to give it a soft light coat, so as to avoid ponding / drips. Better to do two or three light coats rather than one heavy one (you can guess how I know!)

I just clean Klear from my airbrush the same way as any acrylic (it is an acrylic varnish) - with airbrush cleaner first, and then a final push through of water. (Other may differ, but it works for me!)

I don't think Klear can melt o-rings. Cellulose thinners definitely can!

Philip
"To boldly go..."