July 5th, 2015, 9:18 pm #11

Cheers philip I'll be trying that way tomorrow and when the mephis belle is finished I'll be airbrushing all my models so expect a few more questions hahaha :D

September 6th, 2015, 9:04 pm #12

Good little demo on preshading

http://www.plasticmodelsworld.com/node/1361

Pat McGrath

Work to become not to acquire

December 13th, 2016, 7:57 am #13

cornflake kid wrote:hi all just ordered this set, to get some more detailed paint finishes onto future models, can anyone recommend a source or tips for maintaining the airbrush, compressor, flows etc... as its all new to me

been working from a basic cheap single action brush and aircan till now... so well excited about this...

ebay airbrush http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS-186-Comple ... OC:IE:3160

Hi mate , how are you getting on with this kit ? Iv seen the same one online , and I'm thinking of getting it as my first airbrush and compressor , iv never used or even seen one in operation other then on videos. Is it a good one to start with ? That would be my price range at the moment , and after some practice I would get a better quality airbrush for for now is it ok ? if anyone else on here has any advice or suggestions all is welcome . Cheers

December 13th, 2016, 2:22 pm #14

Hi Al...

I got this set a couple of weeks ago. So far I've only tried it out a couple of times, and haven't brought it near a model yet (though that'll happen soon).

Initial opinion is that it's decent, especially the compressor, which if you treat it well should last you. It has everything you need, Moisture Trap, Tank, safety valves, Pressure Regulator etc. etc.

The airbrushes are cheap and cheerful, but like you I'm using them in a 'get used to airburshing' way. I find keeping them clean is awkward, but that's more to do with my lack of airbrush experience than the airbrush itself.

Haven't really used it enough for a more detailed opinion, but really for the money (I think mine cost €110 including shipping) it's a great 'starter' set, with the advantage that the compressor should never need to be upgraded, though the airbrush probably will be.

Hope that helps, if you've any particular questions please let me know...

J.
On the bench -
Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F2001

Completed builds -
Click here

December 14th, 2016, 9:14 am #15

Hi Jason ,
I just ordered one. It can't be too bad for someone starting out, I'll have play around with it for a while and see how I get on.

December 14th, 2016, 1:45 pm #16

It's the one to have for beginner , it's great ,I have mine five or six years .The airbrush will break nozzle ( certainly if you remove it for cleaning after every use -the thread snaps after around 12-20 'releases ' or a year ) or needle knurled nut ('tightener' )which will also be loosened every cleaning session .Some do a strip down of airbrush every time ,others unclog them with really strong fluids when they clog .I guess it depends on your outlook/philosophy and how you treat your bike , car , pet , 'significant other ' etc etc !
The airbrushed can be got on EBay for €12-20 posted so there's no need to pamper them I guess .Next upgrade would be H&S Ultra with paint set included (€65-90)then Badger SOTAR(€100++ ) ( in my opinion )
Last edited by fs2005 on December 14th, 2016, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2017, 12:15 pm #17

Hi Al and all!
I agree with fs2005, this is a good choice for beginner. Choice of compressor is crucial in my opinion when starting airbrushing.....the wrong compressor and you could end up frustrated.Those brushes in the kit have small nozzles, so the the compressor doesn't need a very high working pressure......
I personally bought the Badger Patriot with a .5 nozzle along with the Paasche D3000R .....very happy with those 2...:)
Don't rush in buying cheap compressor or brush....I found really good advices on airbrushes and compressors on airbrushGeek
Good luck

May 28th, 2017, 8:18 pm #18

If your paint isn't coming out with the slightest rearward pressure on trigger ( as it should ) the quick fix is a rub of needle with alcohol or thinners soaked brush ( for acrylics or enamel respectively ) .If that doesn't work there's a fair chance the nozzle is full of gunk .This is very likely if using white ( which has bigger pigments) or cheaper paint .The only answer ( apart from maybe the ultrasonic route which I never tried ) is to VERY carefully try tease out the gunk through the nozzle tip .Theres a high chance of damaging needle tip doing this :-( but at least your airbrush will work again .H&S and Chinese needles are delicate , Badger ones seem tougher .
Last edited by fs2005 on May 28th, 2017, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2017, 10:01 pm #19

This happened to me this evening - there was a bit of gunk in the nozzle, and I didn't want to risk the H & S needle. Water and normal cleaners didn't do it. So I soaked the nozzle in a little bit of cellulose thinners for ten minutes (the nozzle has a teflon seal - don't even think of soaking if it hasn't!).

Anyhow, after ten minutes, I loaded up the airbrush, put water through it at about 40 psi, and, hey presto, it cleared. (I then of course took it apart and cleaned everything with lots of water , to get any residue of cellulose thinners away). Job was OXO, and clear again.

Philip
"To boldly go..."

June 25th, 2017, 6:20 pm #20

Well I've been having mixed success with my airbrushing lately and in particular LOADS of tip dry and some nozzle clogging ....

So last night I was messing around with my trusty 5 or 6 year old AS186 compressor and heard water sloshing about .Now I regularly empty the water drain plug at bottom of tank and press in release tap on water trap ( THAT has a hole down the centre and if you press it from below with finger tip you're blocking hole and it ain't emptying water .)ANYWAY there was a layer of black gunk blocking the tank drain hole ( must be only a couple months old as water def drained out this year ) .I unclogged it with a pencil tip ( which was blackened ) I was then astonished to get several eggcup fills of filthy rusty water out of the tank !!!

I also took a wrench to the front of the water trap mechanism to remove it and clean out the inside of rusty gunk .

I made the mistake of removing a partially perished , crumbling washer from inside the metal pipe .The darn thing then leaked at the joint ( and when fully tight the airbrush holder and pressure adjuster /gauge sat diagonally )

I got a set of 'rubber rings ' ( and some plumbers tape and sealant which in the end I didn't need )from B and Q .No common plumbers washers would fit .I was amazed that two of the rings kept it perfectly airtight even though the nut was loose enough to rotate water trap around .

Anyway airbrushing is now vastly superior .

So maybe shake your compressors tonight !
Last edited by fs2005 on June 25th, 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.