Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter

May 4th, 2018, 2:07 pm #1

Just had to start this thread today :)

My plan B for the group build (A is still there just not starting it till there's a bit of clear space on my desk). I've also realized that I have only completed one model so far this year (although the Dep and the Mig are close) So this will help the numbers so long as I don't take 6 months on it.

May 8th, 2018, 7:45 am #2

This was going to be an OOB and I tried and tried, I would avoid being the serious modeler and have some fun, however my compulsive nature got the better of me and I've ended up hacking it a bit (just a little) My main issue was that it has neither an undercarriage or a stand, since I don't like putting figures into my builds (at small scales I think they never look right) if I had to choose an option I'd favor the former, but I wasn't doing either or was I . Regardless I stated the build planning to do neither.

As you can see cockpit painted and installed and hull zipped up, all oob.

But then the above started to niggle me so after a bit of research on the web and my book of starwars machines that I got for christmas out came the razor saw ...

Leaving me with this, and feeling much happier, just needs a bit of detailing on the scratchbuilt bits . It also needs and Astromech (how could revel kit it with a blank space here) and a decision on the wing positions ( you wouldn't model an X-wing on the ground with the wings in attack position, so why would you do this on an ARC-170?).

The final question is colourscheme, there seem to be two that are cannon, the revenge of the Sith standard and the Razor squadron one from clone wars, I like both but I'm veering towards the classic one as I think the clone wars one although dramatic is a bit too toy like.

And the long and the short of it .. I'm enjoying the build.
Last edited by Marklo on May 8th, 2018, 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

May 8th, 2018, 7:54 am #3

Nice one Mark and liking the scratchbuilding work.

(looks like your text in your first post is linking to your images, btw).

Cheers,
Dermot

May 8th, 2018, 8:00 am #4

wrote:Nice one Mark and liking the scratchbuilding work.
Thanks for that. I found it a little tricky as the kit is so tiny compared to anything I'm working on at the moment (it is literally only as tall as the wheel on the Dep, which isn't a huge model itself), but I am pleased with the overall look of it.
wrote:(looks like your text in your first post is linking to your images, btw).

Yes I did something weird with the tags, seeing as how Flicr is predominantly for my model photos that's ok ( I use iCloud for my main photo storage)
Last edited by Marklo on May 8th, 2018, 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

May 8th, 2018, 11:42 am #5

Nice work so far Mark and the landing gear is a great addition.

Not making any promises but I might have a spare left over R2 Astromech in 1/72 scale left over from one of my Bandia kits. If i can find it and it will help you out, you can have it.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't ?

May 8th, 2018, 11:55 am #6

wrote:but I might have a spare left over R2 Astromech in 1/72 scale left over from one of my Bandia kits.
Thanks for the offer, but the kit is a funny scale 1:83 i think, plus as it's only head and shoulders I'll have it scratched in no time (I know I just can't help it :) )
Last edited by Marklo on May 8th, 2018, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2018, 10:02 pm #7

Making good progress, construction mostly completed, I had to shorten the cannon mounts to give a little ground clearance, although I think they may have been too deep anyway, the ones in the star wars vehicles book look more like the modified kit.

My first attempt at a scratchbuilt astromech, got accidentally binned ( shows how small it was :) ) so working on a second one.

As you can see pale grey and red are on, black, dark grey and gunmetal to follow, decals, then a bit of weathering, the movie ship is absolutely scruffy so I'll try to replicate that with washes and oils.
Last edited by Marklo on May 28th, 2018, 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

June 14th, 2018, 7:04 am #9

Painting pretty much finished and ready for Decals
Last edited by Marklo on June 14th, 2018, 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

June 14th, 2018, 8:06 am #10

the model is looking good , Mark.
Pete

On the bench - What isn't ?