Two storied franchises in Schmalz Cup semifinal...

Two storied franchises in Schmalz Cup semifinal...

March 30th, 2012, 2:06 pm #1

The Essex 73's and the Grimsby Peach Kings start their semifinal series Sunday in Grimsby (full schedule below) this Sunday night.

Since they were founded in 1973, hence the name, Essex, champions of the Great Lakes Junior C League, has won the Clarence (Tubby) Schmalz Cup no fewer than six times and have been losing finalists on five occasions. Ex- NHL'ers Bruce and Keith Crowder and Warren Rychel are alumni.

The Peach Kings, champions of the Niagara District, have won the trophy three times and lost out to Essex in the 2005 version. They were also Jr. C champions in 1940. Bill Berg and Steve Mason are htier two most famous NHL'ers.

The winners of this will face the winner of the Alliston Hornets vs. Clarington/Campbellford semi final. The Eagles lead the Rebels 3-2.

Grimsby has the extra game at home should it go seven, after Sunday night they play Friday, April 6 then Wednesday April 11 and if a seven should be necessary it would be Tuesday April 17. Home games for the 73's are scheduled for Tuesday April 3, Sunday April 8 and game six would be Sunday April 15. The Peach Kings start at 7.30 and Essex's games get underway at seven.

Essex defeated the Belle River Canadiens 4 games to 1 in the quarter finals and before reaching that point they had taken care of Kingsville 4-0 and Dresden 4 games to 2. The Peach Kings topped the New Hamburg Firebirds four straight. Grimsby got past Chippawa and Glanbrook also in four games straight before beating New Hamburg.

In the regular campaign Essex won 33 of 40 games scoring a League high of 185 goals while Grimsby took 32 of 36 bouts outscoring the opposition 171 to 73.

Admission will probably be around a tenner..and you're guaranteed a fun evening.

March 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm #2

The Rebels lead the Eagles 3 games to 2.

March 30th, 2012, 4:04 pm #3

..thanks..Campbellford leads 3-2 and hosts game six Saturday night. If necessary Clarington hosts game seven Sunday at half past six. This time I think I got it right!

March 31st, 2012, 12:02 pm #4

The impressive part of the Clarington Eagles is that they are an expansion team. Congratulations to the players, coaching staff and organization.
""""

April 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm #5

The 73's scored four unanswered in the second to beat the Peach Kings 5-3 in game one. The Rebels beat the Eagles 4-2 in their game seven and now meet Alliston in the other semi-final.

April 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm #6

Grimsby and Campbellford are on the verge of advancing to the final. The Peach Kings lead Essex three games to one and the Rebels are on top of the Alliston Hornets 3-0. Next games Wednesday night in Grimsby and Alliston.

April 10th, 2012, 3:39 am #7

be no small feat. The Empire Junior "C" loop has long been not in the same class as the representative powerhouses of Essex and Alliston have been over the last few years.

I was born in that tiny town of Cambellford. I did not spend a lot of time there miving away to the big city of Trenton when I was a baby. But I know they love their junior "C" franchise. They have a wonderful small town arena that is steeped in history there. I made a number of trips up there to see some great junior "C" hockey over the years.

I would be willing to bet a ticket there is a hot item these days.

Way to go Cambellford Rebels.
The Clarence Tubby Smaltz Cup is awaiting you.
You are not there yet but it's sure looking good.

Wayjoy
x?S?8?|??pӡ?@? H???{?qI??Q?_?K??.??R?$mh????2I?p?0b?b?bbq?裖?[`???XGƔ?t?|\r??J}T?

April 11th, 2012, 2:59 am #8

Campbellford fans are playoff fans packing their barn for playoffs but it was an abandoned building in the regular season most away teams brought in more fans then the rebels it has been that way the last couple season.

Good to see the team getting the support from the fans better late then never

They are representing the empire well only one team in the empire has won the schmalz and that was Napanee this league is getting a lot stronger and I'm sure will be contenders over the next few years

April 12th, 2012, 11:47 am #9

The Peach Kings are in thanks to a goal in the waning seconds of the overtime from Drew Whalen giving them the 5-4 win but the Rebels could not sweep and opened the door for the Hornets who took a 6-1 victory.

April 16th, 2012, 11:49 am #10

A remarkable comeback by the Hornets from a three to nothing deficit as they topped the Rebels Sunday 5-4 in overtime. The final game goes tomorrow night in Alliston and the home side must now be the favourites to take the series.