Honest help for new fed...

Honest help for new fed...

July 31st, 2011, 1:10 pm #1

Ok, here's my story. I am only a fan. I am a huge wrestling fan. I am 36 years old and I have a degree in business management. I have loved wrestling my whole life. I also do very well for myself in the monetary department. My questions are as follows: I wanted to start a fed in the Mon Valley area. I've been to every single show in the Pittsburgh area , and I've seen all the workers. I've also seen how everyone on here bashes Dr. Feelbad and the RWA for beng yarders and a bad overall product. Like I said, I'm just a fan, but I love this business, so would the same happen to me? I'm not going to be out in every segment like he is, or use untrained workers. My main questions are, I'm just going to buy my ring, buy the liscense, and everything I need to get this started, and I already have a planned venue to start at. So, who do I go for, talent wise to book to wrestle? Referees, announcers, and everything and everyone involved. I just want some help to get the ball rolling to put on an entertaining wrestling show for the fans to watch. So please with questions, comments, advice, please feedback is apprecated.

Thank you

July 31st, 2011, 2:02 pm #2

if you have gone to all the shows and are knowledgeable about the people...then you know who to book and who not to book.

good luck in your venture. see you ringside.
Last edited by indymessageboard on July 31st, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2011, 2:28 pm #3

Ok, here's my story. I am only a fan. I am a huge wrestling fan. I am 36 years old and I have a degree in business management. I have loved wrestling my whole life. I also do very well for myself in the monetary department. My questions are as follows: I wanted to start a fed in the Mon Valley area. I've been to every single show in the Pittsburgh area , and I've seen all the workers. I've also seen how everyone on here bashes Dr. Feelbad and the RWA for beng yarders and a bad overall product. Like I said, I'm just a fan, but I love this business, so would the same happen to me? I'm not going to be out in every segment like he is, or use untrained workers. My main questions are, I'm just going to buy my ring, buy the liscense, and everything I need to get this started, and I already have a planned venue to start at. So, who do I go for, talent wise to book to wrestle? Referees, announcers, and everything and everyone involved. I just want some help to get the ball rolling to put on an entertaining wrestling show for the fans to watch. So please with questions, comments, advice, please feedback is apprecated.

Thank you
I you have a degree in business management, what are you going to do different to get a return on your investment? If you truly have been to all the shows which a dault because many run the same night you would see the avg house size then take away freebees. The rest you should be able to figure out. Right now the market is just about right one more will cut down the market. One more makes workers start making discussions on were to go. This is wrestling its not a normal business. So good luck its going to be a challange.

July 31st, 2011, 2:43 pm #4

You hire me for $30,000 a year to run it for you!

that is all!

July 31st, 2011, 4:49 pm #5

lol 100 people a show $10 avg ticket $1000. Thats 30 shows to cover you. No other exspenses. Funny thing is some believe people make that in indy wrestling.

July 31st, 2011, 6:19 pm #6

If we told you who to book then what would be the point of owning your own promotion? You need to find guys that fit your product and that mesh well together. Most new promotions don't draw well at first, so it's going to take some time to figure out what works.

July 31st, 2011, 9:39 pm #7

You do not want to get into Indy Wrestling. At least not right now. There does not seem to be much money to be made. Unless you are willing to do a lot of work to promote, and run shows properly, and have some guys help you out so you do not get lost in attempting to do this. You have IWC which draws a lot, but with the amount of names they bring in and the money they spend on them, they are probably just breaking even or profiting very little. PWX is hit or miss with draws, and even their good draws are about the size of IWC's small draws. They have a hard enough time financially, where they can not even pay their roster.

August 1st, 2011, 12:51 am #8

You also definitely DON'T want to use a bunch of Pitt guys. I'm not from there, so I'm not saying that they suck, but the fact is, if fans can go see them elsewhere, why would they come see them at your shows?

Bringing in names only isn't great either because contrary to popular belief, most 'names', especially the super indie guys, don't really draw, they just get paid like they do. Casual fan doesn't know who Davey Richards is and doesn't care how hard he hits, but he'll still cost you a ton of money.

I'd say a mixture of young locals, young RoH guys who aren't overexposed and overpaid everywhere else and a big name or two a show is the way to go.

Also, email Chico Dorito (see posts below). A lot of us want to see him work. LULZ.

August 1st, 2011, 3:34 am #9

dont listen to him about the pittsburgh guys. there are quite a few good workers in pittsburgh area. Just gotta find the right ones. Shiima(probably gone since hes in TNA) Mitchell and his crew know how to wrestle. and theres ohio guys to like Marion Fontaine, Johnny Gargano and those types. If you wanna know business wise look to IWC. I mean they have been slipping up lately but they know how to be a actual legit indy company. But yea get big indy names too!! good luck man

Hoo Flung Poo
Hoo Flung Poo

August 1st, 2011, 4:09 am #10

You might not like what I have to say but my advice to you is not to start a new fed in the first place. There are too many as it is and there are so many "promoters" out there who don't really know what they're doing. As someone who has never been in our business, you're in real danger of getting grouped in with those I just mentioned, no matter how good your intentions are. Putting a good Indy fed together and running it properly would be a real challenge. You would need help from someone whose been doing this for awhile. You'll have volunteers from all over popping up to help you but most of them won't be any help at all. They're going to use your fed as a means to get themselves over while you pay the expense. Is this what you really want? Save yourself a lot of headache and find something else to put your efforts into.