You HAVE to see this...

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

7:31 PM - Nov 18, 2011 #1

Just arrived In The Balcony, a gift from a friend in NY who found it in an attic. It's for the 1939 French classic (a film I love, remade with Henry Fonda, which is a good film, too). This is massive, measuring 60x45. Beautiful!

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

11:37 PM - Dec 26, 2014 #2

My sister painted this for my son Bone Gravy!

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

AndyFish
AndyFish

3:52 AM - Dec 27, 2014 #3

Both are amazing!

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

12:43 PM - Apr 14, 2015 #4

I scored some old newspaper movie stuff from the '20s and '30 this weekend, including this Sept. 1928 pull-out section, four pages on The Jazz Singer's premiere. I framed it already.

The Batman
The Batman

2:46 PM - Apr 14, 2015 #5

That is pretty darn cool.

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

8:22 PM - Apr 14, 2015 #6

Except that it's missing "Warner Bros.' Supreme Triumph!" splashed across the top.

Well, I guess the Herald Tribune couldn’t do that.

BTW I read the Herald Tribune pretty consistently on Sundays in the early 60's. It couldn’t compete with the Times, but it was an enjoyable rag. Unfortunately, the '62-63 strikes effectively killed it (and a lot of other things.)

panzer the great & terrible
panzer the great & terrible

3:02 AM - Apr 15, 2015 #7

I liked the Trib better than the Times. It had comics. Especially Barnaby.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

9:23 PM - May 09, 2015 #8

Scored a bunch of GREAT books today. First, a haul of Big Little Books (and a Saalfield) for as low as $2.50 each, all in good conditions with intact spine - I can read the darn things!

Then, somebody donated dozens of theatrical books to the used book store, and most of 'em ended up in the .50 bin. I got - all but one still in the original dust jackets! - Much Ado About Me, Fred Allen; We Barrymores by Lionel; and several others.

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

2:49 AM - May 29, 2015 #9

A friend of mine who cares about me picked up 28 lobby cards in NYC for $10 each from the '30s and '40s. I bought 'em sight unseen, and they're on their way to me. He said, "They're movies I've never heard of" and then reeled off the names of Eddie Cantor and Zasu Pitts from two of them. (He isn't into old films, you see.)

I told him not to tell me any more, I wanted to be surprised. I'll keep you in the loop when they arrive.

The Batman
The Batman

3:18 AM - May 29, 2015 #10

Very cool, LG. Definitely curious as to what's in that lot. Please keep us in the loop.