Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

April 21st, 2018, 10:57 pm #1

Trouble Makers (1948) Dir. Reginald LeBorg
A Monogram Picture
69 min. / B&W / 1.37:1
DVD: Warner Archive (The Bowery Boys Vol. 4)

Background

William Beaudine had directed the previous eight Bowery Boys movies, but Reginald LeBorg would direct this and the next two. How much of the credit goes to LeBorg it's hard to say, but they're three of the better films in the series. LeBorg had churned out some B movies for Universal earlier in his career (Dead Man's Eyes, The Mummy's Ghost) and would work for Lippert in the 1950s, so it's not like he took this assignment in between epics.

Cast

The Bowery Boys are Leo Gorcey as Slip, Huntz Hall as Sach, Billy Benedict as Whitey, David Gorcey as Chuck, and Bennie Bartlett as Butch; Gabe Dell is new patrolman Officer Gabe Moreno, and Bernard Gorcey is back as Louie.

Joining our regulars are John Ridgley as "Silkie," the head of the gang; the funny Lionel Stander as bootleg muscleman "Hatchet" Moran, newly out of stir after 20 years and having trouble accustoming himself to the new era; Frankie Darro (who was practically a regular in this series at this point) as "Feathers," a mob henchman; Helen Parrish as the beautiful lady in trouble; and Fritz Feld as (what else?) the hotel desk clerk.

Story

The Boys are running a "two peeks for a nickel" stargazing business on the sidewalk in front of Louie's; Slip and Sach spot a murder through their telescope and enlist Officer Gabe's help in solving the crime, which involves the killing of a hotel shareholder for his stock in the company.

I'm pretty sure by this point that all 48 of the Bowery Boys' movies will engage them with a criminal gang of some kind or other, so we look for laughs and thrills and this film delivers both, particularly in the very funny climactic chase along the hotel ledge on the 22nd floor and down the laundry chute to the basement. This is an example of the series at its above-averagedness.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Darro, boasting that he can handle Gabe: "We were babies together, so high! I used to push him around in the crib at the welfare house! I could con that guy out of a bottle of milk before I could talk!"

Silkie, not letting Hatchet shoot anybody: "Forget it, lead head! You'll have every cop in New York up here!"
Hatchet: "Oh, you're so narrow minded!"

Aftermath

12 Bowery Boys movies down, 36 to go. This was their final release of 1948, out for Christmas; the next one would be in theatres in April.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

CliffClaven
CliffClaven

April 22nd, 2018, 2:14 am #2

Laughing Gravy wrote:Aftermath

12 Bowery Boys movies down, 36 to go. This was their final release of 1948, out for Christmas; the next one would be in theatres in April.
There's something charming about the idea of a new Bowery Boys movie as a holiday treat.

"We'll look at the window displays, meet Santa Claus, and see TROUBLE MAKERS. Maybe we'll stay for the Charlie Chan before we go caroling."
"Gee, Dad! I love our old-fashioned Christmas traditions!"