outerlimit
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
outerlimit

6:50 PM - Sep 15, 2018 #91

Thanks.I shall look out for it.  A cast like that is not to be missed!

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

9:02 PM - Sep 15, 2018 #92

I'm in season 5.

Every episode has old stars resurrected from the dead, or young actors like Robert Redford who turned out to be famous. Gail Patrick might as well have been running the Motion Picture Relief Fund.

John English even directed an episode.

That's most of the fun, since the actual mystery solutions remain incomprehensible (at least to me), even after being explained at the end by Paul Drake and Della Street.

I'm still waiting for the episode where Bette Davis solves the case by knowing that women always cross their trench coat lapels from right to left, unlike us manly Humphrey Bogart types.

Fantomas
Fantomas

5:15 PM - Oct 06, 2018 #93

I just saw The Case of the Daring Decoy on cable.  Jack Weston must've been reading Stanislavski between takes because with only two scenes and minimal help from the script, he manages to create a complete human character.  He has really thought about his movements and line readings--a rarity on most Perry Mason episodes.  I wonder what a lazy TV actor like William Hopper thought as he watched Weston?  Maybe something like, "Oh crap, this guy's really acting.  They're not going to expect me to do that, are they?  I just say my lines without flubbing them, cash the check, and go home.  That's enough, isn't it?"
"For life is short, but death is long."

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

10:18 PM - Oct 06, 2018 #94

Never thought of Jack Weston as a method actor, but I'll roll with it. That episode was Season 1 and I'd have to revisit.

The appeal of the long-lasting Mason series would make for a good Ph.D thesis.

I know how every episode is going to end.

I know that I won’t have a clue as to the final solution of the mystery, even after it is explained to me.

I know that I enjoy all the old-timers showing up.

I know that William Hopper had really bad taste in clothing.

Most importantly, I know that, somehow, Perry and the truth will prevail.

And, yes, the truth will prevail, even in these benighted times.

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

5:15 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #95

Inspector Tragg and his stooge sidekick Hamilton Burger are the two main selling points on the series for me. They never seem to conspire to get to the truth and bag the guilty, they seem intent on showing up Perry Mason and failing miserably week after week. The more they act condescendingly (Tragg) and feign outrage at the miscarriage of justice on display in the courtroom (Burger) the more they suffer ignoble defeat.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley