Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class

May 31st, 2018, 4:30 am #1

Kept Husbands (1931) Dir. Lloyd Bacon
RKO Radio Pictures
76 min. / B&W / 1.37:1
DVD: Pre-Code Hollywood: The Risqué Years #1 (Roan Group)

Wealthy, spoiled young Dorothy Mackaill gets what she wants, and what she wants is a strapping young go-getter from daddy's assembly line, so poppsy buys the guy (Joel McCrea) for her. Joel puts up quite the fight for awhile, but eventually he succumbs to Dottie's charms and daddy's dough and starts sleepwalking through his cushy job (Joel, strolling in at 1:15 in the afternoon: "Good morning"), but what profiteth a man if he loses his soul? Sooner or later he's gonna learn that he's gettin' a bad deal despite all the sex, money, trips to Europe, and big houses. Uh-huh.

Well, definitely a "minor" film from the Pre-Code era, but watching Mackaill near the end of her career and Joel at the start of his was pretty interesting, and although we know where the story's going (he should've just given her a good spanking and saved us all the trouble) it's still pretty entertaining getting there.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Dorothy, on the dinner at which she met her future husband: "The minute I saw him I didn't give two hoops if he gargled his soup in the key of A minor."

Ned Sparks is the comic relief, so all you Ned Sparks fans out there will wanna see this. The Roan Group's print is perfectly acceptable, too. The other films in the set are Of Human Bondage, which I've previously reviewed, and something called Millie, which I ain't.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley