Jesse White (1917-1997)

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

April 22nd, 2018, 8:07 pm #1

So, t'other night I'm watchin' Seinfeld (I never actually saw it when it was on, I watch it now and it's all new to me) and the episode was a two-parter called "The Cadillac" with Jerry visiting his dad at the retirement home in Florida, whereby reside not only Sandy Baron and Ann Morgan Guilbert (whom I assume everyone here knows) but also the great Jesse White. I've always loved this guy because (in addition to being raised in Akron, Ohio, just like me) he was always funny. Best remembered probably for the play and movie Harvey or for being the lonesome Maytag repairman, although you get extra points if you just cried "Hey! It's J. Sinister Hulk from Pajama Party!"

In the bonus material, Jerry says when he was a kid, he spotted Jesse on the street in New York and chased him down for an autograph (which he still has); Mr. White was playing "Cagey" on the Ann Sothern show Private Secretary at that time. Jerry said that it was a huge, huge pleasure to get to work with him, and as it turns out, that was White's last role.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

April 22nd, 2018, 10:44 pm #2

I think my favorite of his performances was on the old comedy LP "Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America".

"Whaddaya think, you bought a furnished island???!!!"

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

April 22nd, 2018, 11:20 pm #3

Absolutely, let us not forget his wonderful work with Freberg, including The Old Payola Blues.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Ignatz Ratzkywatzky
Ignatz Ratzkywatzky

April 23rd, 2018, 12:16 am #4

He also had a funny featured role, in his last film, Matinee (1993).
IT CAME FROM THE BOTTOM SHELF! is a movie recommendation site, focusing on forgotten classics, lesser-known gems, and oddball discoveries. https://www.bottomshelfmovies.com

Bert Greene
Bert Greene

April 23rd, 2018, 1:57 am #5

I was always amused by his seedy turn in "Hell's Half Acre" (1954).