Dumbo (1941)

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

March 17th, 2006, 5:59 pm #1

Okay, THIS one has me puzzled.

In 2001, Disney released a "60th Anniversary" edition of Dumbo on DVD. It looked terrific, and boasted a nice number of extras, including remixed 5.1 soundtrack, Walt Disney's TV introduction, feature-length commentary, a featurette on the making of the film, two bonus animated shorts, a Michael Crawford video of "Baby Mine", and a whole lot of other stuff.

The DVD is out of print, but easy to find.

In June, Disney is re-releasing Dumbo as a "Big Top Edition" that will have FEWER special features, although Disney boasts that the film will have an "improved" digital transfer. But if that's true, why not wait and release it on Blu-Ray DVD next year? This makes no sense, except to try 'n' wring a few extra bucks out of people. Or am I too cynical?

By the way, as long as we're on the subject, note that The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh DVD has gone out of print.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

rodney
rodney

March 18th, 2006, 3:26 pm #2

When Disney is concerned, it's impossible to be overly cynical.

greenhornet1
greenhornet1

March 20th, 2006, 3:44 am #3

I really hate this movie.

panzer the great & terrible

March 20th, 2006, 4:20 pm #4

Really? It's my favorite Disney picture by a mile.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

March 20th, 2006, 4:29 pm #5

It's one of my faves, too. (My #1 fave is Snow White.) What don't you like about it?!?!?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

KanSmiley
KanSmiley

March 20th, 2006, 8:15 pm #6

I wouldn't say I hate DUMBO but it is not a Disney movie I want to see over and over.
Kan
http://www.saturday-matinee-memories.com/

intoxicated, adj.: When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

greenhornet1
greenhornet1

March 21st, 2006, 9:00 am #7

When I was a kid I loved "Song of the South," and I think it still remains my favorite. Yes, I have copies. I don't buy the idea that it's offensive, but I'm not pc that anyone would notice. It does a great job with the Joel Chandler Harris stories, and James Basket does a great job with Uncle Remus -- a year earlier he was laboring in the serial "Jungle Queen" as Jim Basquette. The animation is perfect, and the live action/animation mix is groundbreaking. The story of the children is heartwarming and if the antebellum south is too "ideal", so be it. "Dumbo" I think is more racist than this film. There's a meanness to "Dumbo" that crops up in the Disney films that make it hard for me to like many of them; "Snow White" is an amazing film, no doubt, and is probably the best of them all. I have a fondness for "Bambi" and "Lady and the Tramp" that defies my own understanding. The nature films, especially "The Vanishing Prairie", are very good, despite the occasional cuteness. "Nature's Half Acre" is excellent of the shorter films. "Fantasia", despite the hippos, is quite something. But for good or ill, I have them all, even "Dumbo."

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

March 21st, 2006, 4:33 pm #8

I have nearly all of them, having skipped the three animated features I consider the worst, Robin Hood, Oliver & Co., and Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have the fourth worst, which may be the weakest of all, Home on the Range, only because I'd bought it before I'd seen it. Never finished it. Today Chicken Little goes on sale, and I'll be skipping that one, too.

March 21st, 2006, 6:12 pm #9

Walt Kelly, the genius who later created Pogo, was responsible for the crow sequence in DUMBO. I don't buy the idea that those minstrel-derived characters were racist in intent or fact in their day, so I don't see meanness in them. If someone (say the Wayans brothers) were to use minstrel stereotypes today, I would (and do) find that offensive. It also offends me when they edit the cook out of Tom and Jerry when she doesn't talk like an urban professor. Rural accents and phraseology are survivals of speech habits from Africa and from English as she was once spoken. Far from being a source of shame, to be swept under the rug, such locutions should be treasured -- like the crows in DUMBO.
Life is just a bowl of cherries, it's too mysterious, don't take it serious...

mort bakaprevski
mort bakaprevski

March 22nd, 2006, 6:14 am #10

wrote:"Dumbo" I think is more racist than this film.
I'm curious, Harrnet (isn't that what Axford used to call him?). Was it just the crow sequence you found racist?? Or, were there other instances.

Granted, the crow portion was a bit embarassing (even back then), BUT the music (by the Hall Johnson Choir) was absolutely marvelous and it's really the only scene I remember fondly from the picture!!! I may just buy the DVD for this portion alone!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."