Disc of the Month

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

June 4th, 2018, 12:25 am #1

My cherce for disc o' the month (vote for three) is...

Total votes: 44
0(0%)
1(2%)
0(0%)
1(2%)
4(9%)
4(9%)
0(0%)
1(2%)
2(5%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
1(2%)
4(9%)
6(14%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
10(23%)
3(7%)
1(2%)
4(9%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
2(5%)

My, how the months fly by. June is up at http://inthebalcony.com/. Go see!

Last month's winner was The House That Dripped Blood, and nobody's more surprised than *I* am.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

June 7th, 2018, 5:33 am #2

A weird month, June is.

I'd take any of the Warner Archive DVDs - but not at that price. I don't much like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but I know how awesome it would look and sound on my home screen, so I'll probably pick that up (it's no more expensive than Warner Archive DVDs, $15.99 at my record shop). Jack the Giant Killer, Thelma & Patsy, and Curse of Cat People: each a must; Woman in the Window upgrade is a possibly. I'm sure I'll get Superfly and eventually Pink Panther Vol. 2.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

marlin lee
marlin lee

June 15th, 2018, 10:03 pm #3

Tender Comrade was one of a handful of titles I was particularly looking forward to when Warner Archives first started. Glad to see it finally released.

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

June 21st, 2018, 1:14 am #4

My ClassicFlix Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly set has arrived. I'm very pleased.

CliffClaven
CliffClaven

June 21st, 2018, 7:03 am #5

Laughing Gravy wrote:My ClassicFlix Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly set has arrived. I'm very pleased.
Amazon sez mine will arrive July 9
(mutters)

rodney
rodney

June 21st, 2018, 12:44 pm #6

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Excited to see it.

The Batman
The Batman

June 21st, 2018, 6:46 pm #7

Laughing Gravy wrote:My ClassicFlix Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly set has arrived. I'm very pleased.
I want to order this set, but Classicflix (which is starting to sound like a third-rate outfit), doesn't have it available on Amazon.ca.

With all the great things your President is doing, I can't afford to order things off Amazon.com right now.

Thank goodness that someone else is releasing the Todd/Pitts comedy short set. That's already available on Amazon.ca, and funny enough is actually $3 cheaper than the listing on Amazon.com.

So you Americans would be better served ordering it off .ca, you'll save about $10 or so.

rodney
rodney

June 22nd, 2018, 11:43 am #8

I think they're now exclusively selling through their website. I feel like I got an email about that somewhere. Their Blu releases definitely aren't third rate. Restoration is done by some of the same folks that have done work for the big name companies that release restored old movies on Blu-ray.

My Todd/Kelly set showed up yesterday. I popped it in and watched a couple of minutes of a two shorts to check quality.

Tarzan
Tarzan

June 22nd, 2018, 3:33 pm #9

Being an Amazon Prime member, I'm supposed to receive pre-ordered items on their release date. so I should be getting the Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly set next Tuesday, but I've gotten pre-ordered items well after the release date, so we'll see what happens.

Of associational interest, there's a new book listed on Amazon, The Hal Roach Comedy Shorts of Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts and Patsy Kelly by James L. Neibaur, scheduled for release this December. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14766 ... UTF8&psc=1

Also listed for our northern friends

https://www.amazon.ca/Roach-Comedy-Shor ... 976&sr=8-1
Don't sweat the small stuff kid, or you'll go bald early!

The Batman
The Batman

June 22nd, 2018, 4:27 pm #10

rodney wrote:I think they're now exclusively selling through their website. I feel like I got an email about that somewhere.
Close, but not quite right.

You received an email stating that from now on Classicflix will only be promoting and selling their titles on their website. Prior to that they announced and sold many other classic releases from other labels.

Classicflix will be continuing to sell their titles on Amazon as well.