Disc of the Month

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

April 1st, 2018, 7:40 pm #1

My top three must-have cherces this month include...

Total votes: 34
0(0%)
1(3%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
7(21%)
1(3%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
1(3%)
4(12%)
0(0%)
5(15%)
1(3%)
1(3%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
1(3%)
5(15%)
3(9%)
2(6%)
0(0%)
2(6%)
0(0%)
0(0%)

And here we go again. Last month's winner was The King of Jazz. Really tough to narrow down the list to the maximum 25 cherces; lots of good stuff from Warner Archive this month. See http://inthebalcony.com/ for the full list.

Pick your 3 favorites!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

April 1st, 2018, 7:48 pm #2

Is "Convention City" an April Fool's joke?

That film has been more sought after than London After Midnight.

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

April 1st, 2018, 7:53 pm #3

I never joke about upcoming releases. Hardly ever.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

MovieMan
MovieMan

April 1st, 2018, 7:55 pm #4

I don't know about the Convention City situation, but I did enjoy watching London After Midnight.

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

April 1st, 2018, 7:59 pm #5

Here's an article on it.

https://hollywoodrevue.wordpress.com/20 ... tion-city/

Ron Hutchinson at The Vitaphone Project will be doing back-flips if it ever materializes.

The Batman
The Batman

April 2nd, 2018, 4:25 pm #6

Lots of good stuff this month, but my votes went to:

Cleopatra
Down Three Dark Streets
Five Steps to Danger

rodney
rodney

April 2nd, 2018, 5:29 pm #7

I really don't think Convention City is being released. This would be WAY bigger news than the King of Jazz restoration.

The Batman
The Batman

April 2nd, 2018, 5:54 pm #8

Frank Hale wrote:Is "Convention City" an April Fool's joke?

That film has been more sought after than London After Midnight.
I've never heard of the film before this, but invoking LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT had me intrigued, Mr. Hale.

Well, according to LG's DVD calendar, Warner Archive is releasing this on April 17th.

However, according to a search of the Warner Archive site, there is no title being offered with that name and/or description.

So, it begs the question:

Where did you get your info on this release, LG?

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

April 3rd, 2018, 2:35 am #9

From producer and good guy Mike Schlesinger. You gonna doubt him on April 1, Lon Chaney's birthday?

Yes, it was an April Fool's joke. We have those in this country.

Looking at the list, tons of great stuff from Warner Archive, but I so rarely buy DVDs these days unless they're dirt cheap, which the Archive isn't. I want Lights of New York, though.

Blu-rays, well, that's different: I'm in for Cleopatra, the two cowboy B-westerns, and the two noir/crime dramas from ClassicFlix.

Bert Greene
Bert Greene

April 3rd, 2018, 4:07 am #10

April's not too shabby. A lot of decent titles, although not really a 'standout' for me like the previous months' "The Covered Wagon" or "King of Jazz."

Surprised about "Lights of New York." Historically important, but a bit of a slog. I think the biggest rarity is "Stage Struck," which has shown at a few festivals, but I don't think it's circulated much beyond that. Supposedly from 35mm (whereas I think "Manhandled" is from 16mm), with some color to boot. Wouldn't mind seeing "The Ship from Shanghai" again. It's been probably thirty years. But I'm just not inclined to pay such prices for these 'm-o-d's' unless it's something I'm extremely keen on.

I'll be getting "Trigger Jr." and "Singing Guns." Already have them ordered. Also, "Down Three Dark Streets," which I always felt was a neglected goodie. Might also grab "Five Steps to Danger," which I've seen but don't really remember much about. Sort of generic spy/crime chase thriller. When it comes to 1950s-era fare, I"ve always had a wide preference for these little modest films (crime, western, drama, etc.) over the more famed 'classics' and star vehicles.