Dean Martin

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

January 30th, 2007, 4:56 pm #1

In some li'l tiny out-of-the-way record store in Davis this past weekend, I stumbled across a twofer CD with a pair of 1966 Dean Martin albums. "The Dean Martin TV Show" is nothing special; a collection of lounge ballads. The other one, though, is a gem: "Dean Martin Sings Songs from The Silencers"! Fans of the Matt Helm movies know that occasionally you'd hear Dino on the soundtrack, belting out some inappropriate song to create a double entendre to whatever "action" Matt was involved in. Here's a collection of Martin singing "The Glory of Love", "Empty Saddles in the Old Corral", "Red Sails in the Sunset", "If You Knew Susie", "On the Sunny Side of the Street" and others. Great stuff from one of my favorite vocalists.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Ignatz Ratzkywatzky
Ignatz Ratzkywatzky

January 30th, 2007, 11:09 pm #2

The Collector's Choice twofers from Dean's Reprise years are all excellent; my favorite being "Dream With Dean" paired with "Everybody Loves Somebody."

"Dream With Dean" is probably his best album. It features Dino at his mellowest, crooning alone with a small quartet (as opposed to the overproduction usually found on Dino recordings). Here's the track list:

1. I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
2. Fools Rush In
3. I'll Buy That Dream
4. If You Were The Only Girl In The World
5. Blue Moon
6. Everybody Loves Somebody (Original version, not the "hit" version)
7. I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)
8. Gimme A Little Kiss, Will Ya Huh?
9. Hands Across The Table
10. Smile
11. My Melancholy Baby
12. Baby Won't You Please Come Home

Dean's version of Chaplin's "Smile" is worth the cost of the CD alone.

"Everybody Loves Somebody" contains the hit version of the title track and some other nice songs with the expected overproduction.
IT CAME FROM THE BOTTOM SHELF! is a movie recommendation site, focusing on forgotten classics, lesser-known gems, and oddball discoveries. https://www.bottomshelfmovies.com

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

February 1st, 2007, 6:13 am #3

Well, a stop at a different used CD store netted me a twofer CD of a couple of Dean's last albums for Reprise. "Once in a While" is filled with mediocre songs, but the other is a real gem: "Sittin' on Top of the World" has Dino giving us a lineup of Tin Pan Alley standards; besides the title tune, there's "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now", "Almost Like Being in Love", "You Made Me Love You", "When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along", and, yes, "Smile". I agree: Martin usually sings in a relaxed, backhanded kinda way that makes it look so effortless that he's often taken for granted, but he reaches down into some part of his soul to give us "Smile", and it's unforgettable.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

February 1st, 2007, 10:05 pm #4

By the way, in the 1960s Dino had a slew of top 40 hits, and -- maybe 'cause he was from Ohio, too -- got exceptionally heavy airplay on our local radio station. This was the days when a typical rotation on a typical station might include Jan & Dean, James Brown, Frank Sinatra, Herman's Hermits, the Crystals, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, the Yardbirds, and Dean Martin, all in a row. Anyway, some of my fondest-remembered hits of the time were Martin's "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You", "Houston", "In The Chapel in the Moonlight", "Little Old Wine Drinker Me", "In the Misty Moonlight", "and "Not Enough Indians", all of which were chart hits in the mid-to-late 1960s.

Greypilgrim
Greypilgrim

February 9th, 2007, 4:51 pm #5

Dino was the guy that knocked the Beatles off the charts back in the early 60's when they were still big-time.
Listening to one of his albums while cozying up to your lady-love really sets the mood.
And who else but Dean Martin could read the ingredients off a cereal box and make them sound like he was singing a love ballad?
The man had an amazing quality for romantic songs.

Grampy
Grampy

February 9th, 2007, 5:14 pm #6

I just heard another commercial the other day using "Ain't That a Kick In The Head". One of my favorites that turns up insoundtracks often.
Still Alive and Well

Ignatz Ratzkywatzky
Ignatz Ratzkywatzky

February 9th, 2007, 11:34 pm #7

If you like Dino, you may want to click here to see a video of his appearance on the Tonight Show back in 1969.
IT CAME FROM THE BOTTOM SHELF! is a movie recommendation site, focusing on forgotten classics, lesser-known gems, and oddball discoveries. https://www.bottomshelfmovies.com

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

June 10th, 2018, 10:43 pm #8

Dino would've turned 101 the other day, so I've been listening to my CDs... I have a boxed set of his Capitol work, but I much prefer his Reprise albums, all of which stand on their own. (Sittin' on Top of the World is still my favorite.)

Been readin' up on Dean's Reprise years... 25 studio albums, of which 10 went gold. I'm tryin' to get the ones I don't have now. Enjoyin' the heck out of the ones I DO have.

Tarzan
Tarzan

June 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm #9

Laughing Gravy wrote: The other one, though, is a gem: "Dean Martin Sings Songs from The Silencers"! Fans of the Matt Helm movies know that occasionally you'd hear Dino on the soundtrack, belting out some inappropriate song to create a double entendre to whatever "action" Matt was involved in.
In one of the Matt Helm films (it may have been "The Silencers", but I won't swear to it), I recall a scene where he's romancing a woman (wasn't he always?) in his apartment. He puts on some music, which is, of course, Dino singing, to which Matt Helm says "Now there's a guy who can sing."
Don't sweat the small stuff kid, or you'll go bald early!