DC Comics and Gorillas on the Cover

Fantomas
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Fantomas

April 8th, 2018, 10:27 pm #1

About 50-60 years ago, DC comics discovered that putting a gorilla on the cover increased sales. And yet, when movies are made based on DC characters, Hollywood always leave out the gorillas. Here are some great DC gorilla covers. may they inspire films of the future:

First a gorilla steals the formula from a professor, and now for the old switcheroo:

As one commentator put it--was he planning to conquer the world or teach high school English?

Next time I'm on jury duty, gorilla or no gorilla, I'm putting an exclamation point after GUILTY!

And last, and weirdest of all--this is just wrong on so many levels:

"For life is short, but death is long."

CliffClaven
CliffClaven

April 9th, 2018, 2:02 am #2

Adding these to my screen saver folder.

"Bride of Jungle Jimmy" looks especially fascinating. The gorilla's fearsome expression is at odds with her rather gentle pose. Maybe she's grunting "Hurry up with the ring, we've only got the reception hall till six!" And Jimmy himself seems pretty at ease -- or maybe he's just afraid of upsetting the bride.

Would it be less creepy or worse if the gorilla was smiling?

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

April 9th, 2018, 3:28 am #3

Certain things on the cover made sales rise, according to DC editors, including (besides gorillas) fire, bicycles, crying, and the color purple. There are probably others. In my case, they didn't work (although I was a fan of Detective Chimp): give me Superman, Superboy, or Batman and I was happy.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Sgt Saturn
Sgt Saturn

April 10th, 2018, 6:03 pm #4

I seem to recall seeing a cover where Wonder Woman is turned into a gorilla. Don't know if it was from this era or not ...

Surely other DC characters got transformed. I should expect that to have happened to Batman for sure and maybe even to Supes.
The Ol' Sarge

rodney
rodney

April 10th, 2018, 6:22 pm #5

Close.

rodney
rodney

April 10th, 2018, 6:24 pm #6

And who could forget...

rodney
rodney

April 10th, 2018, 6:35 pm #7

Frank Hale
Frank Hale

April 10th, 2018, 11:29 pm #8

My only take on this whole thread is that, even as a young lad, when comix went to 12 cents, I knew it was all over.

Let it be said, though, that my heart is still in the right place, and that I am religiously buying all the Carl Barks reprint series from Fantagraphics.