BOOMERANG! Missing Title From FOX Noir Series

Mantan
Mantan

May 24th, 2007, 5:59 pm #1

You guys may have already discussed this -couldn't find it but if you did so, forgive me my trespasses, but over on DVD Savant's site Glenn Ericskon has an interesting review of a title omitted from the FOX FILM NOIR series:
Don't look for BOOMERANG! on store shelves or from online retailers. The Fox Film Noir disc release was set for last summer and review copies already distributed when the studio suddenly pulled the title from its schedule. A better part of a year has passed, but it is still not known how long the legal knot that precipitated the recall will hold up the official DVD release. Some retail copies of the disc have apparently found their way into private hands anyway. (http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2267boom.html)

Know anyone special with a legit copy -not a dub- of this release?
It's an Elia Kazan movie and it stars Dana Andrews, Jane Wyatt, Lee J. Cobb, Sam Levene, Arthur Kennedy, Cara Williams, and Ed Begley.
Not too sure about this one. Not big on Dana Andrews or Jane Wyatt. I do enjoy Sam Levene immensely. Arthur Kennedy, too. Had a crush on Cara Williams as a kid when she was on tv in "Pete & Gladys" with Harry Morgan.
I can handle movies with Lee J. Cobb (especially the Hoppys he appeared in) without too many problems but I have always had a terrible time with Ed Begley. I know he was a regular on the old RICHARD DIAMOND radio series and I appreciate his talent. He just reminds me of someone's grouchy grampas with in-grown toe-nails, a hatred of small animals or children, and a low pain threshold. Stupid reason for not being able to appreciate an actor's art but that's the way I yam.
I have the same problem with Parley Baer.

Ming the Merciless
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Ming the Merciless

May 24th, 2007, 11:50 pm #2

Don't know about for sale but Boomerang is available for rent via NetFlix ie;

Elia Kazan's Oscar-nominated crime drama is based on a true murder case in which an upright prosecutor fights to bring justice despite the faulty legal system at the time. A pastor has been murdered in a small town and a likely suspect has been indicted. But contradicting evidence causes District Attorney Harvey (Dana Andrews) to prove the man's innocence amid political pressure. Jane Wyatt and Lee J. Cobb co-star in this documentary-style film.

Mantan
Mantan

May 24th, 2007, 11:59 pm #3

Interesting.
I ran a check on Deep Discount DVD for it but it didn't show.
Shades of early 20th Century Fox, Disney, and certain "special" Warners Home Video releases!
Rental titles only... "leased" for 3 months per title to the pre-Blockbuster mom & pop home video rental stores.

igsjr
igsjr

May 25th, 2007, 1:18 pm #4

Mantan, a number of Boomerang! copies did get released and sent to consumers before Fox put the official smack down on the release. I ponied up some bodacious scratch (somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-55...which is a very respectable neighborhood) for an unwrapped copy on Amazon.com--not because I'm a completist but because I think the movie is so damn good. (Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to open my pricey investment yet).

Oh, and by the way--shame on ya for thinking about Parley Baer that way! <_<
"Life is in color--but black-and-white is more realistic..." -- Samuel Fuller, director

So many DVDs...so little time...

Inspector Duff
Inspector Duff

May 26th, 2007, 3:25 am #5

Borders Book Store is where most people found their BOOMERANG. I bought 3 copies for $14.99 each. Kept one for myself, sold one to a friend at cost and sold the 3rd on ebay for double what I paid essentially breaking even on the entire purchase.

It's a fantastic film with an opening that will stick with you because it is so shocking, especially for the times. From what I've been told, it's a rights issue that is holding this up. That doesn't explain why this movie has played on Fox Movie Channel. Maybe broadcast rights aren't the issue; just home video rights?

BRASHER DOUBLOON is another Fox noir that probably won't get released due to rights issues. I don't get that one. It's a Chandler story (Philip Marlowe) but Warner Brothers has been able to release their Marlowe movies without too much difficulty. Maybe Fox is just too cheap to pay for clearances?

Red Kluger
Balcony Gang
Red Kluger
Balcony Gang

June 20th, 2007, 10:44 am #6

I scored my copy of BOOMERANG! at Suncoast Video Store last December before it was pulled from the shelves.

Apparently the families of the murdered minister, and the waitress played by Cara Williams in the film who sued Fox and collected a settlement after the film's original release along with a cast of thousands are tied up in the rights hassle over BOOMERANG! to the extent that it may never be released on Home DVD.

See what happens when you film a true story!

THE BRASHER DOUBLOON is murkier. My sources at Fox tell me that it is on hold due to legal issues, but can't or won't specify what they are. The commentary track done nearly two years ago by Eddie Muller and Conrad Janis is sitting in a file cabinet, waiting.

The Batman
The Batman

June 21st, 2007, 1:24 am #7

You guys who got a copy, you sure lucked out. Does anyone know if copies made it to Canada, before they were pulled from the shelves. Perhaps I can find a rental copy somewhere, and rent it, "indefinitely".

Red Kluger
Balcony Gang
Red Kluger
Balcony Gang

July 29th, 2007, 2:16 pm #8

:rolleyes: Looks like the problems have been resolved. Boomerang! is scheduled for release by Fox on their web site.

The Batman
The Batman

July 30th, 2007, 1:05 am #9

Red Kluger wrote: :rolleyes: Looks like the problems have been resolved. Boomerang! is scheduled for release by Fox on their web site.
Thanks, Red! That's the best news I heard all day. I just took a quick look at their site, however, and couldn't find mention of the release. Could you provide a link and/or a release date. Thanks in advance.

Laughing Gravy
Laughing Gravy

August 18th, 2007, 3:15 am #10

The new Charlie Chan collection from Fox has a promo brochure for other Fox mysteries, and a sneak preview of the covers for three upcoming titles, Daisy Kenyon with Joan Crawford, Black Widow with Van Heflin, and Dangerous Crossing with Jeanne Craig. They're in the same style as the previous Fox Noir offerings, so it's assumed (by me, anyway) that the numbering will continue.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley