Blondie Johnson (1933)

Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
Laughing Gravy

5:57 PM - Dec 31, 2010 #1

"LOVE made her beautiful... WANT made her daring... MEN made her ruthless!"

Well, this is different: a gangster picture focusing on the moll, and the first lead role for habitual second-fiddle Joan Blondell. She's a homeless waif who, when her mom dies of pneumonia after being evicted by a pitiless landlord, vows to get dough, plenty of it, the easy way, ya git me? Strangely enough (because she's beautiful and doesn't wear underwear) she elects NOT to get it on her back, but by running penny-ante swindles with the help of Sterling Holloway. That brings her to the attention of junior-partner gangster Chester Morris, and pretty soon she's helping hiim elbow his way to the top. Eventually, he turns out to be too tame for her, and she takes over the mob herself, before she's redeemed by, you know, love and all that.

Crackerjack entertainment, directed by Ray Enright for First National. Ratatat dialog (He: "I've got ideas in my head!" She: "There's plenty of room for 'em in there") and a terrific supporting cast (Mae Busch and Allen Jenkins, whose first scene - in a courtroom - is bust a gut funny. Terrific print from Warner Archives.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

rodney
rodney

12:01 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #2

I REALLY liked this movie, and I agree that the DVD release from Warner Archive is terrific.  A great restoration.

You get both Walter Long and Mae Busch in this.  Only thing missing is Stan and Babe doing a walk-on.