Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class

8:19 PM - Jun 02, 2018 #1

Angels in Disguise (1949) Dir. Jean Yarbrough
A Monogram Picture
63 min. / B&W / 1.37:1
DVD: Warner Archive Bowery Boys Collection Vol. 3

Background

After three straight Reginald LeBorg-directed films, Jean Yarbrough steps in for the first of two, and the relatively high standards of the series would continue.

Cast

The Bowery Boys are Leo Gorcey as Slip, Huntz Hall as Sach, Billy Benedict as Whitey, David Gorcey as Chuck, and Bennie Bartlett as Butch; Gabe Dell is back as Officer Gabe Moreno, and Bernard Gorcey is Louie.

Joining our regulars are Edward Ryan as Mr. Carver, the baby-faced head of the criminal gang; Mickey Knox, Richard Benedict, and Pepe Hern as his gang; plus Lee Phelps, Tris Coffin, Don C. Harvey, and Jack Gargan.

Story

Our story opens with Slip and Sach lying beat up in an alley; Slip regains conscientiousness and relates how they ended up there. Seems their pal, Officer Gabe, was shot and his partner killed by a new bunch of crooks in town from Chicago, the Loop Gang. Slip 'n' Sach - newspaper copy boys - and their friends infilterate the Gang, including their torpedo, the tough-as-nails "Big Louie" Dumbrowsky. Unfortunately, sooner or later, is THEIR jig up, and not even Routine 14 can save 'em.

This is one of their best films; it works as a gangster picture (having the head of the the gang a fresh-faced Ivy League type is intriguing), being more violent than any other Bowery Boys picture I can recall; it also works as a comedy, with a lot of new material done well.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Slip, narrating: "I saw that Sach and me might be askin' for two on the aisle for our own funeral!"

Louie, commenting on his participation: "I was so scared I forgot I was a coward."

Slip, narrating via voice-over: "There are times when Sach is as yellow as a ripe banana."
Sach, turning to Slip, who hasn't said anything: "I AM NOT!"

A delightful film.

Aftermath

Angels in Disguise was released in mid-September, 1949; they'd have a new one out before Thanksgiving.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley