Laughing Gravy
Balcony Gang, Foist Class

May 27th, 2018, 4:23 am #1

4D Man (1959) Dir. Irvin Yeaworth
A Jack H. Harris Production released by Universal-International
85 min. / color /1.85:1
DVD: Well, no

ITB Strange Science Cinema #168

The producer and director who created The Blob a year earlier return with a movie that's just as good, but somehow all these years has been all but overlooked.

Talk about your sibling rivalry - a pair of brothers who are scientific-genius types are hard at work at separate projects: Robert Lansing has created a new metal that's far stronger than steel, virtually impregnable, while James Congdon has created an electronic device that allows you to penetrate through any object, including his brother's new discovery, Cargonite. The Cargonite brother, in a tiff, applies the walks-through-walls gizmo to himself and promptly starts strolling through bank vault doors and helping himself, that sort of thing. His girlfriend, Lee Meriwether(!), turns to the "good" brother for help, which only pisses off the 4D man, and since his touch brings death (for some reason, turning the touchee into a geezer that dies of old age instantly), he's nobody to mess with. But how can you stop a guy you can't touch?

Yeah, kind of a twisted description, but hey, I actually paid attention for once - this was a good movie that I'd never seen before, with fun and believable special effects and a nice cast, including a very, very young Patty Duke.

Million-dollar Dialog:

Landlord, after one of the brothers accidentally burns down the lab: "Is this your idea of making a contribution to science?"

The other brother, ruminating on his life's work: "Science is WRONG to call anything IMPOSSIBLE."

I liked this movie a lot, and can't understand why it's not on DVD at least.

ALSO ON THE PROGRAM

For the kiddies, a trio of color cartoons, including Stage Door Magoo, as our hero sings in an opera; Mighty Mouse in Raiding the Raiders, as our hero beats up a flock of buzzards trying to eat baby bunnies; and Superman in The Bulleteers, as our hero battles a criminal gang that rides around in a super bullet car. All of 'em were good, particularly Superman.

Then it was "Superman in Danger!", the sixth suspenseful episode of the Superman serial, as the Spider Lady uses her kryptonite to keep the Man of Steel at bay, and a coming attraction for the upcoming Shock Theatre thriller Blood of the Vampire! Wowee-wow!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley