Forum rules
Floating City Striberg is built atop a massive iceberg floating off of the coast of the North Reaches. Its existence is only possible through the magical barrier surrounding the metropolis that simultaneously keeps the ice from melting while maintaining a pleasant temperate climate within the city. The barrier itself is visible as a distortion in the air that completely encapsulates the City of Magic. The iceberg has been carved into tiers leading up from sea level to the highest point of the city, hundreds of feet above the frigid waves. The quality of the buildings and surroundings increases from tier to tier, with the tall, imposing towers of the Academy of Magic looming over the rest of the city from the highest level. Although the barrier keeps snow from falling in Striberg, the architecture is still remniscient of times when buildings had to remain warm and secure throughout blizzards and long winters. Most are made of large blocks of quarried stone, with sloped roofs covered in slate tiles. Other spaces have been carved into the resilient ice of the iceberg itself, including several cavern-like marketplaces and open squares, as well as tunnels that allow easy access from one side of the city to the other.

Several bridges, both those made out of magical ice and those made out of normal materials, lead from the iceberg to the nearby coastline. This area is covered in urban sprawl. The buildings are of notably poorer construction than those on the iceberg proper. Since the barrier does not fully extend to the mainland, this region of Striberg still receives heavy snowfalls on a regular basis. Checkpoints are maintained on each bridge by the City Guard so that the magical aptitude of visitors can be assessed and their rank within Striberg's thaumocratic caste system determined.

Two Healers walk into a Bar

7:15 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #1

It was getting later into the night when Wynnesteria Kyr left her inn room to go for a drink, a stack of papers and books stuffed into her book bag as she headed out to find the nearest tavern- because if she had learned anything from the past five months, it was that Wynne thought much better when she was just a little bit buzzed. The challenge there was finding that balance between 'buzzed' and 'plastered'.

It had been a good while since Wynne had left Norwood in shambles to repair, as well as leaving Sen to do... well, whatever Sen did when he was by himself. She sighed softly at that thought, shaking her head. He'd promised he wouldn't get himself in trouble too much anymore, but something told her those sorts of promises didn't tend to go anywhere with him, however pure his intent. She'd have to send him a message later that night, so long as she didn't get too drunk- they'd lost contact for a few weeks, by that point, and the silence was a bit disturbing to her. She shook her head and sighed. Sen was plenty capable, she knew- what was there to worry about?

Feeling a bit better about that little situation, Wynne walked into a little tavern that felt calmer, at least compared to the few that she'd ever been to. She took a seat at the bar and ordered her usual- scotch, on the rocks, a constant commemoration to the first time she and Sen had ever met- and began unloading some of the files she'd collected from the Academy's library- she'd been using the libraries as a resource for a while now in search of more information on Kassiel's congregation and other cults similar.

She'd learned, by the Academy's research, that these sorts of things were surprisingly common in Celestia- multiple had been reported, including Kassiel's, and some were even connected to occurrences on Chaon. She had gotten her hands on some information on Kassiel, what little the Academy had reported on him, and that was what she was here to look at. She opened the file, and heard a small voice in her head. "Child, what is there here that I can not find for you myself? I doubt the humans and wizards here could find more than somebody from Celestia."

Wynne sighed softly, murmuring a response. "Celestia's only worried 'bit cases wi' angels n' daemons. Mah mother wasnae even a full angel 'at we knoo fer sure. And even if she was, there was an entire nine-year period o' time at least 'at she wasnae in Celestia. There has tae be a reason fer 'at, Eae. There has to be."

"Do not work from a hunch, Wynnesteria. They always turn up as dead ends, that's why it's taken us months just to get this far. The Academy's not going to give you free passes forever." Wynne ignored Eae's words and began reading through the file in silence, taking a sip of her scotch and scanning the list of victims with her pale, mismatched eyes, hoping to see her surname somewhere in the pages.

Nada.

She frowned and took another drink of her scotch, confused. Not even her father's name was listed? Had her relatives truly been that pissed that they never so much as bothered to file anything?

She cursed softly to herself and shut the file. There had to be some mention of her parents, somewhere, especially if Kassiel really was being or had been looked into. Silent, she shut the book, when Eae spoke again. "It's possible they're gone for good, Wynnesteria. A lot can happen in planar rifts, and aching over Kassiel is not going to help anything. He's dead, it's unlikely there will be any more information on him than you've already found."

Wynne huffed. "Be patient, will ye? Ah git it, ye wannae see mair stuff on Chaon, bit Ah dornt have anywhere tae go unless Ah have somethin tae dae when Ah git there. Once Ah pick up a lead, we'll start movin' around again, yea?"

"But you won't pick up any leads until you start looking in other places. You're exhausting your resources, Wynne. Perhaps a trip back to Celestia would help you. We have access to records there-"

"Oi, will ye quit it wi' goin' back tae Celestia?!" She didn't realize how loud she was being until a couple people from the bar glanced over at her, causing her to cringe and wave them off. "Mah bad, mah bad. Sorry, mates." She huffed and rubbed her eyes, shaking her head. Eae had seemed to stop pushing at that point, the Ophan going silent as Wynne picked up one of the books- an encyclopedia of known cult followings on Chaon, picked up to see if any cases were known of schools of Kassiel's congregation on the lower planes- and began reading, chugging the last of her glass of scotch, and then ordering another one. Now, it was just a game of which happened faster- a break in the case, or how quickly Wynne could get plastered all over again.
"Holy light over the night,
Oh, keep the spirit strong.
Watch it grow, child of war,
Oh, keep holdin' on."

Current Stories
Two Healers Walk into a Bar - Bast Rose
Finished Stories
Family - Sen Montague
Blood Bonds - Sen Montague
Character Stories
N/A
Celestial Infused - Ophan, Lvl 4

10:04 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #2

Bast sat at the bar with her journal out. She couldn't seem to find the words to describe the tavern, as she normally did. She took another swig of her ale when another woman sat down, not that far from her. Rosey took a moment to gather her thoughts as the new woman started mumbling to herself. The accent seemed familiar to Rose in a way, as though she'd heard it once before.

A new patron has joined at the bar. She seems to be on the hunt for some kind of information. Rosey noted that there were a number of tombs and such with the woman, as though she were a scholar. Rose took another look, being discreet as always. It was then that she heard the new woman speak again. "Be patient, will ye?" Rose heard her say, "Ah git it, ye wannae see mair stuff on Chaon, bit Ah dornt have anywhere tae go unless Ah have somethin tae dae when Ah git there. Once Ah pick up a lead, we'll start movin' around again, yea?"

Rose paused, taking a moment to make sure understood what was said well enough. Rose knew that listening in to whatever this woman was talking about was not right, but she couldn't help herself. Woman seems under distress, talking to herself... The woman spoke again, but louder this time. Something about Cascadia, or Celestia... Rosey knew from the little traveling that she had done that Cascadia was a place. She didn’t know where it was or anything, but she knew it was somewhere. Rose did the first thing she could think of; she spoke up.

"I'm sorry I keep going to Cascadia, my dear!" Rose looked over at the woman and gave a sheepish smile, hoping that she was able to placate everyone, the woman included, that she knew what was going on. Rose hoped that by doing so, it might save the woman a little embarrassment...
*Due to real life sucking, this is one of my only active character at the moment. I may be open to one or two more topics in the near future.
If you really want to do a topic with one of my other characters, please let me know. I might be able to call up enough muse to do one. Maybe!

First siggy/photoshoping I've done, don't judge tooooo harshly please!!
All active topics

10:28 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #3

Wynne blinked and looked up at the woman, quiet for a moment, before it registered exactly what the woman was doing. She looked around quietly to survey the reactions of everyone at the bar- it seemed to do the trick of a makeshift explanation for everybody, the attention turning away from her, her odd speech, and her odd appearance (Gods, she probably looked like some crazy religious freak to them with her headcover, though that explanation wasn't to far from the truth,) causing Wynne to sigh in relief, her eyes closing as she stilled herself and her emotions. It seemed to her that her temper had begun to grow shorter, even shorter than it was before leaving Balefire- she'd have to work on that a little.

She looked back at the other girl, giving a short nod and mouthing 'Cheers ye,' before looking around and moving a couple seats over with her book, sitting a little closer to the girl so she could speak without being overheard. "Thank ye, lass, Ah pure appreciate it. Hope ye dornt 'hink Aam too off mah rocker, it's jist been a long day." She looked around, and then over the bar, waving over the bartender and looking at the woman. "Wot ye say tae a free drink in return, eh? Ah've got tae dae somethin' fer savin' mah arse loch 'at, jist pick somethin' an' Ah can leave ye alone without feelin' guilty," she said with a small, warm laugh, reaching into her belt loop underneath her cloak to prepare the necessary gold, simply grateful that no one had understood her loosey-goosey throwing of the higher planes. Yea, that would get her in some trouble, alright. She'd like to see herself dig her out of that hole.
Oh, keep holdin' on."

Current Stories
Finished Stories
Family - Sen Montague
Character Stories
N/A

1:55 AM - Jul 12, 2018 #4

Rose couldn't help by smile that played across her face. This woman thinks she needs to repay me with a drink? She shook her head lightly and said, "No need for thanks, my dear. Keep your coin for yourself." She kept shaking her head a little as she looked down at her journal. Rose gave a soft smile then, and took a look at all the papers and books the woman had and raised an eyebrow at her. "May I ask what it is that you are researching, though?"

The bartender came up then and asked what they each wanted. "I'll just have another ale on my tab, please. Thank you." Rose smiled kindly as the bartender took the other woman's order and then went to get the drinks. She picked up her quill and put it in her journal then, and put her journal in her bag. Rose took a shot in the dark then, and stuck her hand out, softly, not demanding a return shake, but leaving it there in hopes of one. "The name is...Rose, by the way." Rose thought about giving her full name but opted against it. She hoped that her new companion wouldn't think poorly of her because of this choice. "Can I ask what yours is?"
*Due to real life sucking, this is one of my only active character at the moment. I may be open to one or two more topics in the near future.
If you really want to do a topic with one of my other characters, please let me know. I might be able to call up enough muse to do one. Maybe!

All active topics

3:04 AM - Jul 12, 2018 #5

Wynne smiled and nodded upon her decline of the drink, putting her gold back in its pouch and ordering another glass of scotch, handing over the gold, and then looking at the woman. "Oh, this? Aye, it's nae a thin' important. Jist somethin' abit cults aroond Chaon Ah picked up outtae a bit ay boredom and a bit ay curiosity froom the Academy's libraries. Ah figured it micht help me out abit in the future or if aam ever jist wanderin'. Knoo who tae stay away from," she said with a small laugh, taking a sip of her drink, when the woman stuck her hand out and offered her name, causing Wynne to smile a little bit wider, . She took her offer on the handshake, clasping her hand with Rose's and giving it a warm, strong shake with a smile. "Mah name's Wynne. Pleasure meetin' ye, Rose," she said brightly, pulling her cloak closer around her. She tried to show no reaction when she felt her wings beneath the black cloak beginning to cramp up from being held so tightly- normally she gave herself much more room to stretch them out, at least, but it had been a long, busy day in the public eye, and while winged beings weren't necessarily uncommon, the double-wing factor was something that exposed her quite easily as Celestial-bound, and she was still unaware of her status in the legal eye.

After letting go of Rose's hand, she picked up her drink and took another long sip to ease the pain in her back, sighing softly. Ah, that was much better. She'd slowly been getting more accustomed to drinking, as of lately- she did it much more often than she had before, not necessarily to an alcoholic's level like Sen had, but a bit more on a weekly basis. It seemed to work out well for her when she didn't overestimate herself and drink too much, which turned out to be pretty much never, leaving a lot more nights of her waking up with a headache. She looked down at her drink, pursing her lips. Maybe she should be a bit more careful tonight? She was already getting a bit heavier than buzzed, and she did have to walk home after this.

She then proceeded to shrug it off, calling over for a couple of shots with a sigh. The paperwork could wait for a bit- Eae was right, she was getting too caught up in her research. She happily finished off her scotch with a sigh, before leaning on the bar as she waited for her shots.
Oh, keep holdin' on."

Current Stories
Finished Stories
Family - Sen Montague
Character Stories
N/A

3:42 PM - Jul 16, 2018 #6

Rose took another sip of her ale as she listened to her companion talk. "Oh, the Academy? I've heard about it, but I've never been there. I don't even know where it is." Rose said that last bit with a small chuckle, mostly to herself. "Why interest in cults? I understand wanting to be safe, but it seems interesting to me that someone would go through a library to find information on them." Rose smiled at Wynne. "Nice to meet you too, Wynne."

It was then that Rose noticed the big black cloak. She hadn't noticed before that the cloak was a lot bigger than was normal. Though she tried not to stare too much, Rosey noted that something seemed to move underneath it. She wondered briefly what was underneath, but she also knew better than to pry. It was not like she hadn't experienced her own issues with people prying, just more so when she was younger, what with her grandfather wrecking the business that her family had worked for decades to build...

Rose shook her head to clear her thoughts as Wynne ordered a couple more shots. Rosey noted again the slight wiggle in Wynne's cloak, but this time, Rose noticed that Wynne's face made a small contort, as though she was hurting. She felt the urge to ask if everything was ok, if there was something that Rose could do to help. But, again, she knew better. Things like that people tried to hide like that, they generally don't like having others asking lots of questions. Rose decided to wave the bartender over and ordered a little something to eat. Just a bowl of pretzels, or something like that. She didn't have enough coin for entire meal and a room for the night, but she had enough to get something small to eat, a room for the night, and at least lunch tomorrow.

All active topics

4:27 PM - Jul 16, 2018 #7

The woman smiled and shrugged with a sigh, nodding a short "thank you" to the bartender upon the delivery of her shots and throwing her head back with the glass, taking the shot down with ease and setting the tiny glass on the counter. "Ah dornt pure ken why, tae be honest. But Ah was raised in a pretty tight, strict home, sae Ah try tae learn as much as Ah can noo that aam out in tha real world, y'know?" Wynne smiled a little to herself- tight and strict was a total understatement for her relatives back in Balefire. They were pure devils, that lot- literally and figuratively. She could still feel the burns on her hands everytime she thought of them, the pain of her skin being twisted and scarred. Not to mention, the last time she had seen that damned creep of a fiance, right before she had skewered him with her Unicorn Spear. She sighed and smiled, shaking her head.

She had definitely not had enough to drink to be recounting those memories quite yet.

Taking another shot, she began to feel the abundance of alcohol setting in. Wynne heard Eae telling her it was about time to stop and take it easy, and Wynne had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes at the angel's internal monologue. For the 'free spirit' Eae was, she sure did like to boss Wynne around. The short, baby-faced woman looked back at Rose and sighed. "The Academy's quite nice, actually, if nae a wee bit competitive among the students. Plenty tae dae, plenty tae study, especially fer an amateur healer loch mahself. It's a good use of time, I assure ye." Smiling, Wynne looked back at the book and sighed. She had only made it a couple pages through, but given how her vision was beginning to blur, it seemed that was all the work she was getting done that night. She shoved the thick stack of scripts into her book bag and sighed, deciding to spend some more of her focus on her drinks instead.
Oh, keep holdin' on."

Current Stories
Finished Stories
Family - Sen Montague
Character Stories
N/A

5:57 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #8

((Rose's speech color has changed, many reasons, but none that affect that plot. Just wanted to put that out there))

Rose smiled a little, knowing only loosely what Wynne meant by a strict home. While her parents had been tough, they had not been strict, at least as far as Rosey was concerned. She'd known the rules, but as long as she did not break them, her parents did not care what she did. "I can understand that, wanting to learn as much as you can now that you have the ability to." Rose thought briefly about what it must have been like, living with strict parents, and then decided that at the end of the day it probably would not have been that different from her family. Though, when Rose glanced at Wynne, she wondered how true that was.

Unconsciously, Rose was sure, Wynne's face contorted just the littlest bit, probably from some memory she was having, and then her face did something odd, as though she was trying not to make a face. Rose held back her giggle as she took a swig of her drink. She set the drink back down as her thoughts went back to what Wynne was saying. "You're learning to be a healer?" Rose posed the question, not sure if she was surprised to learn this or not. Rose bent down to her bag and pulled out one of her journals. She set it down on the bar between them, so that Wynne could see it. "I'm learning to be a healer as well, though what I have learned is mostly self-taught." Rose smiled sheepishly as she let the journal fall open. There were not many things written in it, as most of the spell that she knew were easy enough to remember. She knew that she really needed to get some more things down before she could be any real help to anyone, but she knew enough to get by for the time being.

All active topics

2:48 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #9

Wynne blinked as Rose took out her journal, leaning over the wooden bar and scanning through it. "Ah aam as well. Learned everythin' Ah knew from books and expirimentin' while mah folks were out. Though, aam slightly less self-taught noo, since Ah've got the Academy lendin' a hand, but that's jist sae Ah've got somethin' tae dae durin' the day and nae locked up in mah room all day." She bit back the urge to continue rambling about how it wasn't as though she hadn't been in that same spot before, only for those memories to come back as soon as she thought the words. Immediately disheartened by her own train of thought, she left the sentence to be with a smile, taking her last shot. Sen- er, Ash, whatever he went by nowadays, if that had stayed consistent- had said she was a cheery drunk.

At that moment, she struggled to see where the cheeriness had ever been. Perhaps that meant she wasn't drunk enough.

She opened her mouth to order another round of shots, only for a wave of dizziness to hit her, and she swore she could feel Eae pulling on her ear. "I'm all for free will, Wynnesteria, but you're being especially reckless. You're going to get yourself, and by extension me, seriously hurt. If you're going to drink, it may be best to do it in your room."

Wynne sighed softly and mumbled under her breath. "Aye, cannae ye jist take control o' me and get me home? It'll take a wee bit o' energy, but at least Ah can fall asleep easy."

"We aren't to that level of our bond yet, Wynne. And as fun as it would probably be for me, that sort of thing takes a LOT of energy out of the both of us. So that'll have to wait."

Wynne rubbed her face and cursed as Eae went silent again. "Damn angels," she mumbled, seemingly unaware of the irony behind her use of the statement and her own ancestry. She looked up at Rose, smiling as a new flush of warmth lit up her face, and it became obvious for a moment that Sen was right all along. "Aye, lass, Ah hate tae cut this wee meeting here short, but aam about as ****efaced as they come right noo, meaning Ah should get a' goin' before Ah keel over on the way." She gave a good-hearted, warm laugh and picked up her book bag, sliding off the stool and nearly falling onto the floor as she did so, her foot hooking on the chair and tipping it over. A vague sound of flapping wings could be heard in the commotion, but it was barely noticeable- only her first set of baby-wings, the ones she had before she had been given the gift of flight. She stood up straight and laughed. "Oh hell, aam even worse than Ah thought. Wish me luck on the way back then, Ah suppose," she said with a small sigh, still giggling a little to herself as she began walking to the door the best she could.
Oh, keep holdin' on."

Current Stories
Finished Stories
Family - Sen Montague
Character Stories
N/A

3:01 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #10

Rose sat quietly while Wynne had her internal dialogue, wondering vaguely who she could be talking to, as it seemed as though she was talking to more than just herself. Rose waited and watched as it looked as though Wynne was about to call the bartender and then didn't. Though she tried not to, Rosey caught a couple words that she mumbled to herself which confused her even more. She shook them off as she took another swig of her drink, basically finishing it.

Rose tried to catch Wynne as she started to tip over a little bit, and that's when she saw the little set of wings come out from the clock. I knew there was something there! Rose thought to herself, quickly making note of it to add to her journal later tonight, once she made it to her room. That's when she had another thought, as Wynne made her way to the door, stumbling a little, and forgetting half of her scrolls on the counter.

"Wynne, I have a room next door for the night, why don't you crash there instead of trying to make it back to wherever you're staying." Rose threw some coins on the bar, grabbed the scrolls that Wynne had left and ran up to where she was at the door. Rose smiled as she caught up with Wynne, and waited for her response.

All active topics