Forum rules
Norwood Forest This ancient forest is eerily quiet at times. Areas below the canopy are dim during the day and pitch-black at night, only receiving whatever sunlight manages to filter through the leaves.

The true terrain is difficult to discern as the root systems of Norwood's distinctive aluar trees are exposed, elevated and so large that they engulf the forest floor. Traversing Norwood at ground level is a difficult task in some places as one must climb over or through hills of tangled roots. Moss, vines and smaller plants grow directly from aluar roots, sapping water and nutrients while absorbing what little light reaches this far down. Even more plants grow from trunks and boughs, including parasitic steelwood trees and strangling vine-curtains. Norwood's temperate ecosystem completely changes as one moves up toward the high canopy which is hundreds of feet above.

Flat roads have been burned or cut into the roots to make traveling by land easier. After rainstorms these roads are flooded with a shallow layer of water due to the soil's poor permeability. Rain takes a long time to penetrate the forest's upper canopy, as it is usually caught by the leaves and flows down the forest as rivulets or even temporary waterfalls.

June 6th, 2018, 6:16 pm #11

James couldn't really understand what was going on. Was he really on another planet? Or even just another plane of existence. An alternate universe, that was all sci-fi but he was here for real. And he had no idea how to get back. And why had he come here why him? He was no hero, no great wizard. He was just a simple man.

The woman explained most of his thoughts that he had. Yet it still did little to comfort him. He had no way home. No way back that he knew of. He doubted he would ever find one. James said," It's like something out of a book or even a movie. This doesn't happen in anything except those. Maybe this is all a dream. I fainted in the woods from lack of water or something and this all some crazy dream like from the Wizard of Oz.". He pinched himself but he did not wake. This was real and was no dream.

James then said," This is real. This is no dream. I just I just don't know what to do". The woman then explained some more on somethings and James nodded and replied," I have read of such things but it was always fiction or fantasy, something that never really happened. Scientists I guess you would call them scholars theorized that it was possible but had no proof. At least till now and I doubt if I ever got back they would believe me".

June 10th, 2018, 1:45 am #12

Marie leaned back as James seemed to take it in and have a panic attack. She let him go on and fret for a little bit before he finally accepted that this was no dream or hallucination. He was really there, before her, in the forest of Norwood on Charon. Now the problem was, how would he get home, and where would he go.

She sighed as he finally understood.

"It's okay, James." she smiled. "I... know how you feel. And they may not. Surely no one back home would believe me." she mused. "I... I am a Planeswalker, James."

She turned to him. "I am a being who journeys from world to world." She explained. "What you just did, I do all the time. Though not as spontaneous and random as you have. I know what it is like having so many questions, to not know what to do next and to feel that this is all a dream, but it isn't. You are here, on Imythess in Norwood. I can help. But you need to start calming down."

She looked him over. "First, at least for my unasked for advice." she began. "We need to get you out of Norwood. Into the cities where you can get some decent clothing. A real weapon, maybe armor or something. Depending on what you can do for skills you might be able to get employment somewhere. There's a need for coin no matter where you go."

She shifted. "I'd also say, we need to get you into knowing where you are. You need a lesson about this world if you are going to survive. And... maybe lessons if that staff is going to be your only weapon."

"So... where do you want to begin? Getting out of the forest will take time. I can do either location or weapons lessons in the interim. Which would you want first?"
(\AA/)
( =.= )
( >< )
Copy Mr. Hopsters into your sig, to aid him on his quest for board domination.
(EVIL DEMON BUNNY!!!)

June 14th, 2018, 3:13 am #13

The woman said she not of this world either. A Planeswalker whatever that was. She might be in the same boat as he. He wondered if there might be others then from his world here. Maybe there was a chance to get home. A little hope there but maybe a false one. The woman then explained what a Planeswalker was. She had a chance to get back then where he might never. Obviously her skills worked on this worlds rules.

Whatever this worlds rules were. Nothing like his own that was for sure. James said," You can go home though can't you. You have the choice. I did not, I do not. Will I ever make it home again? Will I forever be like Dorothy but this time no magic slippers to get me home? I.... I am sorry. I am clam its just all FUBAR right now." The woman then said they needed to get out of here. She said what he would need.

He replied," I have no skills of use at least not for this world or even for mine. None of real use anyway. A bunch of useless facts and knowledge. And I have no skill for weapons. This staff or Me Ole Bamboo is not worth much in a fight. Though who knows if the travel changed that. The only other way I can think to make money is with this." He pulled the lute he had carried with him from home.

He strummed a few strings expertly. A useless skill for his world but maybe not for this one. James said," I can play this quite well. And I was part of the Drama Club back home so I can act and perform". The woman then spoke on lessons about the world. He thought and said," Locations would be better I think and information about the world. I can avoid learning to fight for now. Though it may come later. I know a few tricks from my world already with the staff so that should see me through till I need to learn better".

June 22nd, 2018, 12:54 am #14

Marie paused as the boy said she could return home.

She laughed. It was a laugh that was anything but humor. It held no light or happiness and was filled with cynicism.

It was the sort of laugh one gave by reflex in order to not punch someone.

"No." she shook her head, her smile as dark and black as night. "No James. I cannot go home."

Her eyes went far off as she listened to him cry out in anguish and hystaria. She knew the boy meant no harm in his words. He didn't know how she ignited, or why or anything from it. He was just a child away from home.

She nodded as she pushed herself up. "Come on then. We've idled here too long. We can speak and move at the same time."

After a bit she gestured. "As I've already spoken to you of, this where we are is Norwood Forest. It's the natural homeland of the Elves. Northeast of where we are." She pointed in a direction. "Is the Norwood lake. Norwood, in its whole is ruled over by the Elves of Norwood Kingdom. They are a bit private and don't like outsiders but as long as we take care we likely won't run into trouble. They understand the difference between travelers apssing through and people trying to poke their nose into something."

She considered for a moment. "There Are several City-states in Imythess, the continent where we currently stand."

"North of us is Striberg, noted for it's mage academy it is also located in the largest iceberg in known existence. West of here is Taras, an entire Megaopolis. It's all one large city that is a state unto itself. East is Balefire, a land as spooky and dark as it sounds. Most people there are of the gruff rough crowd. "

"South is Kellen, a plains land that is based on several families of Clans, its more or less what you would imagine a plain dotted with villages a large distance apart to be."
(\AA/)
( =.= )
( >< )
(EVIL DEMON BUNNY!!!)

July 4th, 2018, 6:19 pm #15

The woman said she could not return home. He wondered if he had upset her. The laugh seemed forced. James wondered what she meant by it. He wondered if he was to absorbed in his own predicament to not see someone elses. She then said they must move. James nodded and stood. He picked up his staff and slung the lute over his shoulder.

As they moved she talked of Norwood. So this was the home of the elves. There were elves here then. Why was he not surprised? He wondered what other fantasy races made this place their homes. James asked," So are we talking the elves with nigh immortality that trapse through the woods all willy nilly with bows and a superiority complex or are we talking the elves that work in a fat old mans workshop making toys for children that are delivered once every year." No one but someone from his world would have gotten that joke but it had to be made.

James then asked," And I guess there are other races like Dwarves. Not like humans born small but bearded people that wield axes and mine all day. And maybe even Dragons that have giant hordes of treasure and go off capturing pretty damsels that need brave knights to save them". She continued to speak on several of the nations in this place called Imythess.

He said," So Striberg is a place of great magic but way up north where it always cold, so basically Durmstrang but without the Dark Arts. And Taras is like Athens at its peak in the Bronze Age so I should probably expect lots of philosphers. And Balefire sounds like Detroit. And Kellen sounds like Mongolia so I should expect horse lords and possible Hordes that will conquer half the world if united to one purpose". James did not expect her to udnertsand nay of this. But part of it was him trying to humorize the situation.

James then said," This place sounds amazing. I feel almost like Christopher Columbus when he discovered the New World. Yet unlike old Chris I don't have a Spanish Fleet with me. This is going to take a bit of getting used to. I am guessing there are alot of differences and politics that would take me awhile to understand".

August 8th, 2018, 11:52 pm #16

She wasn't sure about the joke he made but she shrugged. "the Elves of this words are woodsy yes but they are also some of the most powerful in the way of magic so I'd be respectful if you met one." she replied. "And they have a superiority complex as much as humans and orcs do I suppose. And no one does anything "Willy nilly" unless they are either insane or on something." she replied.

"Dwarves sound about right but they don't mine all day, they also do more smithing and mechaincal work. Dragons who have hordes yes but the only dragon I ever heard of that captured a damsel to get killed by some idiot in shining never been used armor is in a faerie tale."

"Well... I guess so?" She replied to his analogy. "except Taras doesn't have philosophers, demons yes... adventurers yes... philosophers... not really." she replied. "Kellen's reference? Possibly. I've seen stranger."

To his final comment she laughed, this time more genuine. "It takes a lifetime to understand poiltics ANYWHERE. It amazes me that there are those who actually want to study it." she smirked. "But yes. There's a lot of bickering, Like between Cascadia and Balefire. Taras has it's growth pains and Kellen... well they are between wanting to unite and become more stronger and yet still wishing to hold to their roots. They must give up one to do the other."
(\AA/)
( =.= )
( >< )
(EVIL DEMON BUNNY!!!)

August 13th, 2018, 4:55 pm #17

The woman explained on elves. They sounded very much like Tolkein wrote of them in the Lord of the Rings and also very Dungeons and Dragonsish. So he obviously come into a world where somehow the realms of fantasy were a reality. Every nerds dream though in that dream he would have stayed. This was a reality. James said," I respect only those who earned it. Power no matter how much does not mean you have earned my respect. Sorry where I come from there are only people. By that I mean humans. Elves, orcs, dragons and stuff only exist in fairy tales, myths, books, and legends. And willy nilly was just the word choice I used. Frolicking might have been a better choice. I dont know elves in many of our myths tend to be the very nature of a tree hugger".

She then went on about Dwarves and dragons a bit. James thought for a minute and said," Yeh but thats what most people in my world think of with Dwarves. Mining all day, beer and mead by night, and fighting orcs, and goblins every other time. Well that is unless your only knowledge of Dwarves extends beyond Peter Dinklage and Tyrion Lannister. And the dragons yeh I can see that. Preconceived notions on how things can be sometimes warp what is".

The woman continued then on politics and the cities. James said," Sometiems the best way to adjust to something is to similarities between your home. Me I am not much for politics myself. I study history mostly the history of warfare. At least my worlds history or I did before I came here. This place from what you described is very much on the brink of what could lead to a war. Then maybe not. I just want to survive and get home if I can. This world might even be more dangerous than my own".

August 15th, 2018, 2:15 pm #18

"Tree hugger?" She asked, the tone more she was trying to picture an elf as a tree hugger and not the very dangerous, long lived being that can shoot you in the eye from miles away with magics and skill blended and trained for over decades on end. She knew they loved nature but still... "I can understand that notion. Respect is not something given freely. Even here."

She listened to him speak on dwarves and dragons and others and start comparing the world to his own. She understood it. He was grasping for something that made this normal. For something, anything that made sense. It had been a long time, she realized, since she had felt that way. Since that dark dreadfully cold day.

She nodded. "That is the thought. And in some cases we are already there. Land disputes over boarders of the nation-states, invasions from other countries, and the era of Travel is expected to end any time now." She replied. "At least... according to historians. I've studied a few tomes here and there in my travels between worlds as a God Slayer. But when and where that will happen? That's anyones guess."

She nodded as they managed to reach the road and she lead them down it. "Possibly. Any world could be more dangerous than home. And I certainly know that there are worlds more dangerous than here. Worlds where any step could send monsters jumping from below you. The ground shifts whenever it wants and... other worlds that contain things from your nightmares that you wouldn't go to even if you had a death wish."

She smirked. "Being a Godslayer's taken me through many places. I could tell you stories sometime."
(\AA/)
( =.= )
( >< )
(EVIL DEMON BUNNY!!!)

September 1st, 2018, 12:02 am #19

"An environmentalist or one who believes trees and all living things should not be cut down or harmed. Someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution.. Thats my peoples definition of Tree Hugger". Responding to her question in the way she said Tree Hugger. James figured that might create more questions than it answered. Stil the attempt had been made. Then she talked about respect and James nodded replying," Its good to hear at least. That means this world isn't that different. People do seem to still be people." Then that might not be good because people could often times be cruel. Though why he should have expected any different surprise him.  It really shouldn't have. Then  she talked about how he was right on the  possibility of war.  He asked," The Era of Travel whats that? Is that like people going from place to place or something. And God Slayer thats sounds counter productive. I mean the very nature of a diety is that they cannot be killed. Or else they would not be a diety. Besides there is only one God. God the Father All Mighty. Maker of Heavens and the Earth and his son The Lord Our Savior Jesus Christ. And I very much doubt that one could kill God." He did not mean to get into any kind of religious debate with someone he barely met. But how anyone could think they could kill a diety was beyond him.

She then talked some more about her adventures and he replied," Sounds like you have been through Hell almost quite literally. Maybe through more than a few levels of it. I'll take this world thanks. I am not a coward but I am sane enough not to engage with things usually beyond my understanding. I admit you kind of sound like the ancient heroes of my world. Hercules, Odysseus, Achilles, Oedipus, Beowulf and Gilgamesh. I bet your tales could entertain men like Homer or maybe even Shakespear or even Tolkein".