Forum rules
Misted Hills Dotting the eastern lands of Imythess are the Hills of Mist. These hills are sparsely populated and covered in a seemingly perpetual fog that thickens and thins erratically. Small woodlands and valleys between them contain minor bodies of water such as rivers and streams, as well as the occasional lake. There are a few farms and villages spread throughout the area. Most avoid the heart of these rolling hills, however, for there is a local rumor that dark things await those who deign to venture too deeply into this dank place.

[O] Curious Happenings

July 17th, 2018, 2:25 am #1

In the darkness of night, any place may seem unnaturally frightening. Even under lantern-lit streets or a comforting ray of moonlight, any small, cozy town or warm, welcoming forest becomes something entirely different- still, eerie, quiet, dark. Ethereal.

Of course, the Hills of Mist is no exception, if not more so than other places. Thick fog covering the ground, dim lighting, moonlight filtering through the thin leaves, and the near-silence of the cool night air, the sounds of small creatures breaking the unnerving ambiance of the willow forests.

However, the most southern parts of the Hills, the wetland bogs of moss and swampy water, known to the locals as the Nixie Marshes, was not quite as silent.

The mossy floor of the forest squelched beneath the boots of the hunters, bows and knives in hand as they moved quietly through the woods. It was late into the night by then, the willow trees and fog offering cover from the beasts they hunted so long as they paid mind to their noises. They moved as one, step after step, eyes open for their next kill, or perhaps a dark witch to off in case they were attacked- black magic phenomena was known well among these parts, with the abundance of herbs, fungi, poison and well water giving all the materials necessary for a dark ritual, poisoning, or a hexing. You could never be too careful, around here.

The group of men moved onward through the woods until they found the shore of the deep swamps, with water so murky in its deep blue color, nothing could be seen further than a foot below the surface, concealing the weeds and algae that clung to walks and the hands and feet of those who dared to step too close. Observing the marsh, the men watched for animals, observing the forest around them, before trading soft words, concluding that they would move along the shore until they found the hunt, and began walking again.

They did not notice the water bubbling beside them.

After a while longer of walking, the group fell still upon the sight of a mother doe and two fawns, grazing in the moss and grass of the swamps. The men nodded at each other and began fanning out around the unsuspecting deer, and one man drew his bow, nocking the arrow and pulling it back, shooting the mother deer in the neck, and causing the two fawn to rear back, crying out in fear.

And just then, the sound of slit flesh and one of the men screaming rang out through the eerily silent forest, the screams quieting down to gurgles as he choked on his own blood, beginning to bleed out quickly. One of the remaining men quickly ran over, kneeling next to his hunting mate and began to cast a healing spell of sorts. He did not feel the dripping of marsh water on his back, or see the tall creature crawling behind him, before his spell was quickly cut short.

Only a few moments passed before four of the five men had fallen under the creature's blade, the fifth screaming for help as he was held tightly in a headlock, slowly being dragged backwards by dark grey-black arms. He cried out, begging for someone to hear him as he thrashed around, bleeding from multiple areas, before being pulled headfirst into the water and shoved down beneath the surface by the dark, glowing creature. The being of wet skin murmured soft words in another language, foreign to the bleeding man, only causing him to panic further. His screams were quickly muted as he went under, the words falling on deaf ears as he filled his own lungs with murky water, bleeding the water red. Finally, after a minute or so, the thrashing stopped, and the corpse fell unseen into the depths. Satisfied, the being smiled a little, before hearing rustling in the willow trees, and quickly ducking back under the surface, the silvery hair and light disappearing just as fast as the corpse beneath it.
[+] Spoiler
The Nixie Marshes - Current Information

Lunae (the dark-skinned creature,my character) cannot speak common. A character knowledge in Elvish is not required, but may be useful.
[+] Spoiler

Encomium of The Marsh

+ Inventory
+ Extended Description
+ History
+ Active Topics

theme; eternal youth - RUDE

July 17th, 2018, 3:40 am #2

Danger lurks everywhere mostly out of sight and out of mind till you find it right in front of you ready to kill you. There are some though that danger is friend or at least a constant companion. Those that radiate it and walk in it like nothing. These kind of people should be the most feared of anyone. Because they do not fear the greatest danger of them all Death. Some of these can be called Madmen, Death Walkers, or they could just not care. There is however the rare individual whose danger protects them as well as those around them. Arthur was such an individual.

It wasn't just his armor a black green that looked like it turn even the strongest of blows. It also wasn't his sword at his side that looked like it just didn't belong to him it was him. It wasn't the glowing mark on the sword the Mark of the Heron a blademasters mark. It wasn't that he was bigger and stronger than most men. Or that he walked with the air of a half tamed wolf.

It wasn't just those locks of gold that was his air or his features so much like a raptor in its intensity. No it was the eyes those blazing pools of blue that had the fire behind them as well as their Dragon like look. Those eyes told the true secret of his danger. For he was dragon even if only half one. The forest knew that and it feared as well as hated it. Even though it knew that Arthur would not harm it. Fire was the enemy of any forest and dragons wielded fire with a mastery above any race.

But Arthur was no enemy. Few could call Arthur an enemy that still lived. That and Arthur was a good man. He walked in the path of light even as he Danced with Death. No Arthur the half-dragon was not that type pf dragon that you might hear about in stories. The village razers, the kingdom burners, the taking of princesses as sacrifices. He was a good dragon.

As for why he was here. Dissapearances were common in this part of the wood. Arthur was invesitgating why. He was being paid to do it. One of his last contracts before retirement. So he walked through the Nixie Marshes. His nose tracking the scent of one of the missing people. The scent was old very old and almost cold but he knew he could find the person. He kept his hand on the sword at his side. Not out of fear but just to make sure he had it at the ready.

He walked till he smelled the smell of blood in the air. He sniffed and followed it and he found four bodies near a body of water. The kill was fresh. He also noted a deer freshly killed. Something had killed these men after they hunted. He checked the bodies they were killed by a dagger. He found a fifth depression there was a fifth man. None of them were the one he sought. He checked around and looked to the river. One of the men had been dragged in by something.

He drew his blade and stepped toward the river and looked in. However even his dragon eyes had a hard time piercing that murk water. What could have done this? He muttered in elvish," Something is off here". He stepped into the water until he was about boot deep. He raised his body temperture alot. Until he radiated heat and steam began to come from the water as it bubbled and boiled around him. He would solve this mystery and deal out justice.
[+] Spoiler
LVl 5 Infernos.LVL 5 Spellblade.Lvl 3 Archmage. Lvl 5 Primal Fist. Lvl 5 Force of Nature. Lvl 5 Irregular Roamer. Lvl 5 Hellfire Soul.
Have Sword. Will Travel.-Arthur
[+] Spoiler
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ARTHUR. HE IS ALMOST ALWAYS IN HUMAN FORM.HOWEVER I MAY MENTION IN POSTING THAT HE IS IN DRAGON FORM READ CAREFULLY.

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.' Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.

Arthurs Greatest Themesong Ever

July 17th, 2018, 4:13 am #3

The creature watched from the depths of the marsh, its eyes cutting through the cloudy darkness as it listened the best it could through the water. With how still the marshes were, it wasn't exceptionally difficult, not for trained ears. The dark being sank deeper to avoid being detected by whatever it was out there, staying as still as the water would permit it to be, listening carefully.

Though the surface was blurred slightly, it could vaguely make out the figure of what appeared to be another human, with bright blond hair and skin much lighter than its own, framed in armor and heavy weaponry of materials it did not know the name or use of. The being cringed- there was no use for such tools, in these marshes, unless they were here to harm. Another stupid, blunt-fang, round-ear hive rat. In other words; pathetically mundane, and with no reason to stay here in its wetlands.

Quietly, the creature watched as he stepped into the water, smiling to itself and beginning to draw near. Underwater, it was a near-silent being- he wouldn't detect their presence until it was too late. Once close enough, the being reached out to grab his feet, ready to drag the rock-clad man into the depths of her bog, when the water began to heat up unnaturally. The creature blinked as the temperature rose steeply, boiling and burning the sensitive skin of the creature. The being screamed underwater, producing bubbles to the surface and quickly swam up and away, splashing to the surface and crying out incoherently. The being turned back to face the human, revealing the upper half of its face- a seemingly young woman of charcoal grey skin and incredibly long, greenish-silvery hair, the sclera of her eyes a deep teal, her irises silver, and her pupils a sea-glass green. Her facial structure was also peculiar; She had a flat, wide nose bridge and thin eyelids, as well as long ears perpendicular to her face, like a feral elf's, and long, antennae-like protrusions coming from her forehead and disappearing under the water. She stared at the man with what looked like a glare, making noises beneath the water that created bubbles on the surface. She did not speak, only holding his gaze in silence, as though she were sizing him up.
[+] Spoiler

Encomium of The Marsh

+ Inventory
+ Extended Description
+ History
+ Active Topics

July 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm #4

The water would be bot now to hot for some of the creatures in it. He would keep raising his temperature until the creatures in the deep parts of it could feel it. However he didn't have to the water began to froth and something burst to the surface. However he had expected something a little bit more fearsome. Though sometimes looks could be deceiving so for once he took this to be the case. This person a female by her looks was a creature he had never seen before.

And Arthur had seen more strange creatures than most people would there entire lives. She had grey skin, green hair, eyes with a tealish, silver, green hue. She looked like one of those elves that had gone feral but with antennas. And if looks could kill the one she was giving him certainly would have. He said," Well that was unexpected. I was expecting something a bit more fearsome so close to these dead men. But I get whatever you are". She didn't seem to understand him, of course she might not speak common.

He sheathed his sword and stopped radiating heat and the water began to cool. He spoke in Elvish the language of choice around here," You dont have to look at me like that lass. I figured whatever killed these men was close by and the water was a good bet. Dangerous things can lurk there. So the question needs to begged was it you that killed them or was it something else in the water. I wouldn't worry about lying either I can smell lies a mile off". He wasn't sure how he would handle it if it turned out to be this person.

Something told him she had her reasons if she did. He did not like the idea of chasing after her in the water. He could do it and he could win but he didn't want to.
[+] Spoiler
LVl 5 Infernos.LVL 5 Spellblade.Lvl 3 Archmage. Lvl 5 Primal Fist. Lvl 5 Force of Nature. Lvl 5 Irregular Roamer. Lvl 5 Hellfire Soul.
[+] Spoiler
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ARTHUR. HE IS ALMOST ALWAYS IN HUMAN FORM.HOWEVER I MAY MENTION IN POSTING THAT HE IS IN DRAGON FORM READ CAREFULLY.

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.' Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.

July 17th, 2018, 6:04 pm #5

She stared at him with narrowed eyes, still in the water as she held her ground. He spoke in another language, one she did not know but did recognize- the language common to humans and city elves, that she had heard over the past many, many years from the mouths of those she killed. She didn't have much of a taste for the common tongue- it sounded too hard in the mouth, without the smooth flow of Elvish- however useful it was.

As he began speaking in Elvish, she narrowed her eyes, listening keenly. Oh, this man believed he was so clever? Part of her wished to test those smarts, call his bluff and lie all she wanted, if only for the fun of it, but the large construct of a weapon on his back told her this was not quite the day to be so reckless, if she wished to keep her life. She allowed herself to float a little more, the rest of her head bobbing above the surface, revealing two slits for nostrils and fins on the sides of her face, white in color and glowing ever so softly, before she spoke in a voice young in its musicality and smoothness, but riddled with age in her tone, as well as infused with something else entirely- anger, perhaps even hatred.

"Perhaps I did kill them," she said, holding his gaze as she spoke, "But it was well-deserved. The world is better off without selfish creatures like them, I know this for sure. Killing a mother is cruel, no matter the reason. And you will surely end up like them if you do not leave. These marshes are not for you pesky hive-rat humans, they are for those that give to the earth as much as the take. You do not understand the importance of the ground you walk on. You are not worthy of it," She hissed, baring teeth as sharp as dagger points. "Now go."
[+] Spoiler

Encomium of The Marsh

+ Inventory
+ Extended Description
+ History
+ Active Topics

July 18th, 2018, 12:31 pm #6

The woman stared at him as he spoke. She didn't understand at first. So when he switched to elven he saw comprehension in her eyes. He also saw the wheels turn in her mind. She was thinking of calling him out on the lying. He was ready because he had not lied. People smelled different when they lied. And Arthurs sense of smell could detect the subtle changes in scent when people spoke. Finally the woman spoke.

Her voice held an edge to it. She gave him the usual riot act. He laughed when she finished. Laughed in her face. He said," You know your not the first forest citizen to ever use those words on someone like me. You wont be the last. And how can you determine someone's worth by how they look? You know nothing about me only how I look. And you people wonder why a lot of races detest you". He paused and then said," Its your superiority complex. Your holier than thou attitude. My worth is determined by how heavens eyes sees my life. Not by yours".

He then got out of the water and looked at the deer next to them. Arthur shook his head and said," You killed them over a deer. A damn deer. Lady your messed up. All because she had fawns and you killed them. And what do you know of reasons to kill cruel or not. I know of many. Starvation, Survival, Family Health. These men may have had family to feed and the deer might have been there way to do it. We cant all be as holy as you lady. We survive by whatever means necessary. They might have been poor with no money to get food. So they come to a dangerous forest to get meat for their family. And for that they received death. Lady you got your priorities wrong. Now their families may starve to death because of your actions". He kneeled over the deer and checked her over.

He shook his head and put his hand on her. He said," As new life rises so shall we. As the seed returns to the earth so do we all. In Death there is Life and in Life Death." He closed the deers eyes and stood up. He looked at her and said," Surprised I know that old prayer that the anceint elves used to say. A hive-rat human. Your first mistake was killing these men. Your second was calling me human for that is not what I am though I look it. But only because I choose to." He got back in the water with the woman and looked at her and said," So Holy Lady how do you want this to end? Do you want to answer for your actions? Or do I have to call upon the Old Laws and make you answer? Of course there is a third option."

He paused in said checking over the humans a slight prayer,"
Flowing through all, there is balance

There is no peace without a passion to create
There is no passion without peace to guide

Knowledge stagnates without the strength to act
Power blinds without the serenity to see

There is freedom in life
There is purpose in death

Th Balance is all things and I am the Balance
". He looked at her breifly and said," The third option is to live a life based on the principles of not judging someone for what they are. Not killing someone because they killed to survive. And to understand everything feeds something else. The deer was food mother or not. The humans were the wolves in seach of their prey. Would you kill a wolf as you did a human for acting on his instinct to feed?"
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler