Forum rules
The City of Lanterns Balefire is a city shrouded in eternal darkness. Viewing the city-state and surrounding Gloomwood from the outside is foreboding at best: a storm of pitch-black haze that appears ragged and ripped at the edges, and these energies constantly rotate around the city center. Even after so many years away from the Shadow Plane, the tough shrubs and gutter-beasts of Balefire are still mutated by the shadow energies that permeate the city. One of the only universals in Balefire are streets lit by a variety of colorful lanterns that give the city its nickname. These lanterns are all that stand between the city and the almost suffocating darkness around it.

From Balefire's center a great clocktower looms high above an otherwise low skyline. Its glowing faces are the only real way to tell time in the absence of the sun. Many neighborhoods keep different hours despite this, leading to the possibility of it being as lively as noon in most cities in one neighborhood and as deserted as midnight just a few blocks over.

Balefire's urban sprawl is a patchwork that notably lacks planning. Centuries of different factions building, destroying, rebuilding, and remodeling -- coupled with the large populations of foreign immigrants -- have led to Balefire being the biggest melting pot of utilitarian building design in Imythess. One might easily see architecture with Norwood, Tarisian, Istani, Cascadian and other influences all next to each other, or perhaps even incorporated into the same hodgepodge design. Every square foot of the city is utilized, including the rooftops, as businesses and homeowners vie for limited space within Balefire's ancient, dilapidated infrastructure.

Freeing the Isabella

June 30th, 2018, 11:56 pm #1

Pyx sank onto the tavern bench in a heap, pulling at his short hair in aggravation. One of the Vela's deck officers, Pavo, sat down opposite him, and waved over a serving maid to order a meal. The two had been walking around the city all day (was it "day" in Balefire? Pyx had been there a month and still wasn't sure) without success, and their window of opportunity was quickly closing.

Balefire was living up to its reputation as a city of criminals—they had been unable to find a single sellsword with enough of a moral compass to accept the job they proposed. The prospect of potentially angering the owner of the largest smuggling operation in Balefire was enough to deter any of the locals, so Pyx's idea had been to search for someone foreign who would be less concerned about local relations. Alas, those were few and far between, and all wanted more payment than Pyx could afford regardless of their sympathies to Pyx's cause.

Pyx needed an ale, and to imagine that he still lived in a world full of decent folk who didn't look the other way because it suited their own interest. The serving maid promptly placed a tall glass in front of him, and Pyx took a long draw.

"Master Pyx," Pavo asked apprehensively, "What are we to do if we can't get her out in time?"

Pyx swallowed. It was a fair question, for their hopes were growing thin. "Well, if the plan doesn't work, we will just have to follow the ship and buy her back at auction, as the smuggler said." Pavo winced at this, for it meant his sister would be chained in the hold of a smuggler's ship likely for weeks. "Let's not give up, though," Pyx said, attempting an encouraging smile. "We've put the word out to our contacts, and there's still a chance someone might be willing to help."

July 4th, 2018, 6:43 pm #2

"Whats the name again?" Arthur asked. " Pyx he calls himself. He's looking for a sellsword with a some sort myrle compass or something like that". The big man paused and Arthur said," Moral Compass". The man nodded and said," Yeah that. Not sure where you would find one like that." Arthur nodded and thought deeply on the matter. He had the morality the person might require. He still had to see. Arthur asked," Where?" The man pointed down the street toward a tavern.

Arthur nodded his thanks. The man stopped him for a second and said," I thought you were retired". Arthur smiled and said," I am but I still like to have fun". The man chuckled and went on his way. Arthur smiled yes he was retired from the sellsword business. He had a home and family now. 12 wives and their children.

But he did need to swing his sword and use his skills still. He did not want to grow soft. Dragons who grew soft died. That's what Arthur was, a dragon. Or at least half one anyway. Though you couldn't tell right now him being in human form.

He walked into the tavern and looked around. Everyone noticed when he walked in. It was hard not to. His armor a greenish black looked heavy and strong enough to stop any blade. The sword that hang at his hip a dragon hilt with a glowing heron on it. Another two swords on his back. As well as two long fighting knives tucked in his belt. In short he was armed with enough weapons to outfit a small army.

He also looked different. His golden hair falling back down his shoulders. The neatly trimmed bear. His height as well as they way his muscles bulged with strength and looked hard as steel. Then there were his eyes a blue molten steel eyes that looked so much like a dragons. He radiated raw power and primal energy. He was in effect a force of nature walking into a small tavern.

He walked up to the bartender and asked," I heard there was someone hiring sellswords here. Where do I need to go"? THe man pointed to the two men that sat at the table. Arthur went over and sat down without being asked as if he belonged there. He said," I heard your looking for a sellsword for some venture. The names Arthur. Arthur Mandraeg". He pulled out a card and handed it to the man that looked like the leader. It read "Arthur Mandraeg. Have Sword. Will Travel".
[+] Spoiler
LVl 5 Infernos.LVL 5 Spellblade.Lvl 3 Archmage. Lvl 5 Primal Fist. Lvl 5 Force of Nature. Lvl 5 Irregular Roamer. Lvl 5 Hellfire Soul.
Have Sword. Will Travel.-Arthur
[+] Spoiler
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ARTHUR. HE IS ALMOST ALWAYS IN HUMAN FORM.HOWEVER I MAY MENTION IN POSTING THAT HE IS IN DRAGON FORM READ CAREFULLY.

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.' Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.

Arthurs Greatest Themesong Ever

July 4th, 2018, 10:37 pm #3

Pyx, in fact, was just about the only person in the tavern who had not seen Arthur enter, as he was facing away from the door. Pavo's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates when Arthur approached the table, and Pyx turned around just as Arthur began speaking. The sheer bulk of the man, along with his numerous pointed accouterments and extremely close proximity, caused Pyx to startle, bashing his knee on the underside of the table and and choking on his mutton most indecorously.

He recovered just as the man, Arthur, passed over his business card. Pyx hesitated, still somewhat intimidated. Arthur was taller than he, and equipped with so many armaments that Pyx was honestly struggling to comprehend how the man could stand upright without violating the laws of physics. There was also the fact that he radiated such strong mana that Pyx kept expecting it to start visibly leaking out of his ears. Whomever he was, this man was dangerous. And yet, if he was amenable to Pyx's proposal, their plan might just succeed.

Pyx gulped, took the man's card, and offered his hand to shake. "My name is Pyx," he said graciously, with only a slight tremor of fear in his voice, "and this is my associate Pavo. Please, do join us." Pyx slid over to make room at the table and waved down a serving maid, offering to buy Arthur a drink and a meal. He then spoke in a low voice, not wishing to be overheard. "We are searching for a hired sword to assist with the retrieval of a certain young lady who was taken against her will. Unfortunately, this will likely entail crossing the head of Balefire's largest smuggling operation, who has quite a bit of influence locally, and no one in the city has been willing to help us. We can offer payment of 200 gold, which I realize isn't much for such a risky request, but we also expect spoils from the location where the lady is being held. Would you potentially be interested in such an arrangement?"

July 4th, 2018, 11:56 pm #4

The man introduced himself as Pyx as the man from earlier had informed him. Well man was a strong term. A boy was the better word. One who had barely seen 20 summers. He wondered then why the boy wanted to hire a mercenary. It had better not be something that would waste his time. The boy was also intimidated by Arthur. He doubted the boy would last 10 seconds in a fight.

So why did he need a merc if he was what he appeared. He smelled a little arcana to him but it was not as deep and powerful as a seasoned wizard. Still he would hear him out. The man offered him a drink and a meal. When it got there the boy began. Arthur sipped on his mead for a few seconds. He then said," For 200 Gold plus spoils. You want me to go up against Balefire's largest Smuggling Operation for 200 gold and spoils that may or may not be there. Heh son if I were any other self styled mercenary I would laugh in your face. Your lucky then yeh got me".

Arthur took another swig. He smiled and then said," I'll help you lad. For the girl. I hate to see a woman hurt or abused for any reason. Any man that hurts a woman is no man. But boy if we do this you've got to understand. If it gets rough I am in charge. You maybe hiring me but I have been in this buisness 8 years I know how these people work. I am the best in the buisness I get the job done no matter what. I am not like anybody you may have ever dealt with before. So when things go bad let me run free its best not to stand in the way of a force of nature. Otherwise don't worry I am a nice guy and easy enough to work with. Your girl will be safe in your lap in no time".
[+] Spoiler
LVl 5 Infernos.LVL 5 Spellblade.Lvl 3 Archmage. Lvl 5 Primal Fist. Lvl 5 Force of Nature. Lvl 5 Irregular Roamer. Lvl 5 Hellfire Soul.
[+] Spoiler
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ARTHUR. HE IS ALMOST ALWAYS IN HUMAN FORM.HOWEVER I MAY MENTION IN POSTING THAT HE IS IN DRAGON FORM READ CAREFULLY.

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.' Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.

July 6th, 2018, 2:12 am #5

Pyx blushed and Pavo's brow furrowed at Arthur's implication that the kidnapped girl be returned to Pyx's lap. He waved his hands defensively. "No, no, sorry, it's Pavo's sister. Not my girlfriend. Lettie ships out with the crew and helps the cook. She's only fourteen."

He signed in relief at Arthur's agreement to help, feeling more than a little guilty at the lack of payment he was able to offer. But most of his funds were tied up in his current venture, and the 200 gold was all of the cash he and the crew could pool together on short notice. He nodded agreement with Arthur's statement that he be in charge of the fighting - Pyx certainly had no ability to help with that, and his crew was not much better. "Yes, why don't we go somewhere private where we can discuss the details? We actually don't have much time, our window of opportunity is closing fast."

The three men finished their meal and made their way out of the tavern, down several streets, and to a shop Pyx had rented and was in the process of renovating. Pyx secured the door behind them and lit several lanterns. He opened a safe and took out the bag of 200 gold, handing it to Arthur. "Sorry it's so heavy, we all pooled together so some of it's in coppers and silver. It's actually closer to 210 gold, if you want to count it."

He pulled up several chairs so they all could sit. "Right, here's the problem. The Isabella's in her berth at the airship docks. She's scheduled to be in port for another week, so she's currently lightly crewed but reasonably well-guarded. They've taken at least two young women in the city that we know of - both of little means with no titles or important connections. It's rumored there are more people chained inside, all to be sold at auction." Pyx tried and failed not to grind his teeth in anger.

"The thing is, we don't want to get just our friend off the ship - we want to rescue all of them. I've got a group of volunteers who are willing to go along and help get them out, but none of us are fighters and we can't get past the guards. Is that something you can do?"

July 6th, 2018, 6:02 pm #6

The boy explained that the girl wasn't his but his friends sister. He looked at the man and said," I apologize about that. Just assumed. Not many men would risk their lives for a woman unless she was relative or a lover. And even those are fewer. And fewer still are those who just love rescuing a damsel in distress. As far as I know there is only one who rescues women just to rescue them. Dar's retired though if it was him here I think your foes would give her up without a fight and without payment." They could not know that Dar was Dar'Vaeg. And that Dar'Vaeg was Arthur's dragon name.

The boy relaxed when Arthur said he would help them. The boy also agreed to his terms which was good. The boy also said they didn't have time and they should go somewhere more private to discuss the details. Arthur agreed and they finished the food and drink and went out of the tavern and into the streets. They went into a shop that was being renovated. He guess the boy somehow owned the shop.

They boy opened a safe and handed the sack of coins. Arthur hefted the weight easily. He used a little magic and counted the coins without looking at them. He nodded and said," Yeah 210's right. I'll hand you back the 10. The terms were 200 and I don't overcharge the agreed amount". He handed the proper amount back to the boy. It was a noble gesture at least for some for Arthur it was just what he did.

The boy pulled up some chairs and Arthur tucked the gold into another sack on his person a smaller sack in which it disappeared easily. Arthur then sat and the boy explained. Arthur listened and memorized it all. Finally when the boy was done and asked if he could handle the guards. Arthur chuckled and said," Boy those guards wont know what hit em. I almost feel sorry for the bastards. This is going to be fun."

Arthur then paused for a few seconds and said," Also if you see my true nature show itself. Don't be frightened of it. But don't get in the way of it. It won't hurt you but that part of myself is held in check unless I really need it or I want to cause some chaos. Force's of Nature like that are best left to run themselves out". His dragon like eye flashed in the light a menacing hot glow.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

July 10th, 2018, 4:32 am #7

Pyx's attention was truly only half on the conversation. Now that Arthur had agreed to help, there were seemingly countless tasks before him that must be completed within the next few hours. He must send Mikael to confirm that the boys would handle the lanterns, coordinate the Vela's volunteers and their gear, finish learning a new spell, and pen a message to confirm their means of escape. While Pyx had not a clue who 'Dar' was, such was his distraction that he chose to fill that blank with assumptions, thinking that he must simply be ignorant of a locally well-known mercenary by that name. His thoughts stumbled a little when Arthur mentioned his 'true form', but again Pyx chose to assume that Arthur's battle magic must just be unusually intimidating, and per Arthur's own words he had no reason to worry. He nodded confirmation, and stood to shake Arthur's hand.

"That sounds very good, thanks again for agreeing to help us. Please excuse me - the rescue plan has a number of moving parts, and I've many things to arrange before we begin. We will meet at the docks when the Clock Tower reads 2300 tonight. Know that we've arranged a means of escape, and you're welcome to come with us if you like."

(OOC: I figure we can get right to it - just make one post for the interim period and Pyx and Arthur can meet up again at the end of my next post.)

July 17th, 2018, 4:09 pm #8

When Arthur agreed to the mission the bo seemed to get all misty. Arthur could practically see his thoughts churning in his head. The boy was obviously planning the whole thing. Arthur would leave him to that then. He waited as the boy thought. Arthur started to think what he should bring to the part. He doubted he would need his dragon form. But it was an idea. He had enough power without it.

Finally the boy spoke and shook Arthurs hand. Arthur said," Nah I have to prepare myself. Get what weapons I might need." That wouldn't take long actually since he had easy access to them now. But he didn't really want to be with the boy right now. Not that he didn't like the lad but he had to mentally prepare for the battle ahead. Arthur stood up and left the shop and went to the nearest tavern. He rented a quiet room and started pulling out all his weapons from his pocket dimension. Sometimes being a spell blade helped out a lot.

He checked his armor and other gear as well and made sure they were well oiled. He ended up selecting the Dragon Katana, Narinlor his longsword, his two Charger axes, two fighting knives, and Frank because why not bring The Singing Sword. Once that was done he buckled them all on his person in ways for easy access. Then he donned the adamantine helm completing the adamantine ensemble. Sastisfied he looked outside and saw it was nearly time. Arthur said," Dance with me Death I am ready".
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

July 23rd, 2018, 3:30 am #9

Pyx hurried from the shop, an anxious Pavo in his wake. A disconcerting mixture of relief, excitement, and terror welled up in his gut, and Pyx was fairly certain that his stomach was performing back-flips within the confines of his rib cage. The realization that his plan was actually moving forward spurred his thoughts faster than his legs. Had he accounted for everything? What if something went wrong? He and the good people who worked for him - Arthur included - could end up in jail, or worse, in the hands of the smugglers.

They climbed upwards to the city's airship docks, where the Vela and dozens of other vessels floated in the gloom. Lanterns lit the walkways that led between the docks, and also floated overhead to guide approaching and departing ships. It was a strict system, and essential to preventing collisions in a sky of unending darkness.

The Vela was alive with activity, and Pyx found Mikael, the ship's young crawler, waiting for him as they boarded. Pyx knelt and handed the coins that Arthur had not accepted to the boy. "We have 10 gold more," he said with an eager smile. "Bribe as many as you can." Mikael's eyes lit up - they had not expected the extra funds, and 10 gold would go a long way toward achieving the task he had been set. "Aye, Master Pyx!" he said, pulling his cap on tight and running down the path to the docks.

Pyx quickly made his way to his cabin, where he unlocked a box upon his desk and pulled out a blank piece of paper with a rune in the upper corner. He checked his watch (which was set to Balefire's clocktower), estimated the number of hours between now and when they would have the prisoners free, and wrote the number on the paper:

4.5 hours

He waited several long moments before a reply appeared below.

And two bottles of Istani mead.

Pyx rolled his eyes.

Yes, fine.

See you soon.

He placed the sheet of paper back into the box, and withdrew a worn spellbook with many sheets of hand-scrawled notes inserted between its pages. He turned to one of the marked pages and began to read.

----------

Some time later, there was an urgent knock upon his cabin door. "Master Pyx, the hour grows late, sir!"

Pyx sighed and closed the spellbook. He had learned the spell well enough; it would suffice for tonight, at least. He grabbed a dark, hooded cloak from the back of his chair and opened the door. Pavo, Mikael, and eight other volunteers from his crew all awaited him, each wearing a similar cloak. The ship's captain, Auriga, and the pilot, Darius, were also there, but dressed plainly. Auriga had a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "Are you ready, then, Master Pyx?" she asked eagerly.

He nodded, and stepped out onto the deck. "I'll need a bit of room, please." They moved to clear a space around him, and Pyx closed his eyes and began to concentrate. He muttered the words of the spell, and pictured in detail his own reflection in a tall mirror: his thin, wiry frame; disheveled brown hair; brown eyes; unshaven face; and merchant's clothes. When the image was as real within his mind as if his own reflection stood before him, he simultaneously released the spell and willed the image to take a step forward out of the mirror.

He opened his eyes. Before him stood a mirror image of himself, with a quirky self-satisfied expression. Did he really look like such an underfed impish rogue? He must, because the expressions on the faces surrounding him were shocked and amazed. "All right. Auriga and Darius, take the other me into town and make sure I'm seen. And for pity's sake, keep 'me' out of too much trouble."

Auriga grinned broadly, and Pyx knew at once that his reputation in Balefire was doomed. "Right you are, Master Pyx!" she said, a little too eagerly. Pyx stifled a groan as he watched them depart the ship, knowing he would regret this idea later. When they were gone, he donned his dark cloak and turned to Mikael. "Mikael, take us all out the back way, if you're ready."

Mikael nodded, and led them to the starboard side of the ship, where a pile of climbing gear and harnesses lay. Each of them donned a harness, was checked by Mikael, and then clipped into lines and quietly lowered through darkness to the level below, amongst a mountain of stored cargo containers. Once everyone was there, they made their way towards the Isabella, getting as close as they dared to the location where they were to rendezvous with Arthur without being seen. They waited again, Pyx's eyes on his watch.

At 1100, all of the lanterns on the airship docks flickered, and winked out. The darkness started at the Isabella, and proceeded gradually along the docks past three other ships before the flickering slowed, and though the lights farther down continued to flicker out, they did so more slowly. The lights on the ships themselves remained, but all of the docks, walkways, and even the guiding lights above had been doused. Pyx grinned and clapped Mikael on the shoulder approvingly. "Well done."

They emerged from behind the cargo and ran to meet Arthur. Though a few in their group carried small arms, it was up to him to disable the Isabella's guards so that they could free the prisoners below.

July 24th, 2018, 6:41 pm #10

Arthur studied the ship carefully. It didn't look imposing but very little did to Arthur. Still he had to be careful. Not for himself but those inside and the ships on the outside. He could not use his fire magic not here. To much danger involved. He didn't mind that he would prefer getting his hands dirty. Four guards were posted at the plan going up into the ship. They were tough surely men. They would be the easy ones, oh they weren't for show but they would be easy.

There were 7 men on the deck of the ship some swabbing it and others just passing the time. The challenge was there getting rid of them without alerting the below decks. He had no idea what waited below. He thought trying to plan how he should do this. He had an idea but it was untested. And he was unsure if this should be the time to test it. He studied the ship some more. He could charge in go for broke but people would get hurt and the people below deck could get hurt to. To dangerous, and unwise. Was he quick enough to take them all out without much notice.

Arthur never realied on stealth. No it would have to the untested idea of that he was sure. Then he heard others behind him and he turned to see Pyx and his crew come up. Most were not armed but Arthur was expected to do the heavy lifting. He turned his attention back to the ship and said," This isn't going to be easy. But with the idea I have in mind we are likely to be able to do this without hurting the people below." His hand went to Frank.

He unsheathed Frank and the sword said in its musical voice," Good evening friends". Arthur scowled at the sword and said," Frank no time for that. I need your skills". Frank said its voice still sing song," Of course dear Arthur, what song should I sing for your ever growing tale". Arthur said," Surprise me". He then let go of Frank and the sword floated there and it smiled.

He turned to the group who started and shock and Arthur said," Ladies and gentleman I present the legendary Singing Sword". With that heand Frank approached the ship alone. The four men at the bottom looked at him and said," Whatsyer buisness here"? Arthur looekd to Frank and Frank sang. (https://youtu.be/y8OtzJtp-EM)

The men below fear drove them fro mtheir position scrambling away from Arthur. Arthur strode upon the deck and the 7 men came at him as Frank continued to sing. Arthurs sword was out feeling power flough through him. He took each ofthem down easily Frank having weakened them with his song. Soon Arthur stood alone on the deck and no movement washeard below. Frank came back to him his song done and he sheathed Frank. The others came on the deck and he said to the boy Pyx," Good enough".
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler