Wolves ?

Wolves ?

Rob W
Rob W

November 2nd, 2011, 7:28 pm #1

Hey guys
Rob W from Rupert here.
Long time, no post.
I talked to my neighbor this morning.......he lives 1/4 of a mile down the road from me. I didnt know this until today that he saw a wolf in his YARD a few months ago. He showed me the pictures if the paw prints that he found (ruler next to prints to verify size). He shared a few other stories: one included an attack on a horse that was reported here in Rupert. He said the Fish and Game have found a den that is near the railroad tracks that run parallel with the Shoshone highway (from Minidoka to Shoshone)

Crazy!! But I guess I shouldnt be too surprised.....the distance from Rupert to Carey across the desert is a little over 50 miles and the distance from Rupert to Arco across the desert is near 70 miles.

I am curious if you guys have seen wolves on any of your latest outings

or

If you have heard similar stories of wolves near other Idaho towns??

Bob
Bob

November 2nd, 2011, 9:41 pm #2

2 were shot on our property (within 25 miles of Boise) this spring. They were killing sheep and calves. Hired federal shooters slipped in, did their thing, left and no one said a word about it. My feelings? They had become habituated to people and were eating domestic animals so what can I say? Wild animals and people can't share the same space so something had to give. We did not give anyone permission to trespass but we didn't press the issue either. It wouldn't have made any difference at that point.

I keep getting asked by people (non-climbers) if I'm afraid of wolves now that they're part of our mountain environment. My answer: No, not a bit, never will be. My biggest concern is and always has been cougars and moose, both of which I've had encounters with. Bears can be a problem too but for the most part they are predictable as long as you don't surprise one.

Rob W
Rob W

November 2nd, 2011, 10:45 pm #3

Great insight Bob.I agree....moose and cougars worry me as well!

My partner just showed a video today on youtube where a guy shot a moose with bow and arrow from about 10 yards. That sucker instantly turned and lunged at the guy. He was very lucky to dodge the attack from the wounded moose....very aggressive animals! My fear of cougars is how dang "stalky" they are. Man !

November 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm #4

Hey guys
Rob W from Rupert here.
Long time, no post.
I talked to my neighbor this morning.......he lives 1/4 of a mile down the road from me. I didnt know this until today that he saw a wolf in his YARD a few months ago. He showed me the pictures if the paw prints that he found (ruler next to prints to verify size). He shared a few other stories: one included an attack on a horse that was reported here in Rupert. He said the Fish and Game have found a den that is near the railroad tracks that run parallel with the Shoshone highway (from Minidoka to Shoshone)

Crazy!! But I guess I shouldnt be too surprised.....the distance from Rupert to Carey across the desert is a little over 50 miles and the distance from Rupert to Arco across the desert is near 70 miles.

or

Last year there was a wolf killed and confirmed in Franklin Basin which is just east of Preston near the Utah border. I'm assuming it probably came from the Yellowstone area. Here's the article:http://news.hjnews.com/news/article_28d ... 002e0.html

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm #5

Hey guys
Rob W from Rupert here.
Long time, no post.

or

They've had a pretty good run in the central part of the state, We're going to be teaching them to fetch pretty soon.

splattski
splattski

November 3rd, 2011, 2:09 am #6

Hey guys
Rob W from Rupert here.
Long time, no post.

or

I've seen wolf sign a lot, including these huge tracks

I've also seen several actual wolves while out climbing. Although this one was from the car.

Bears, of course. Mountain lions, too. Oh, and wolverines!

The only time I've really been worried about animals was hiking alone on Cervidae in the moonlight when I heard a pack of coyotes nearby. And then, to add to it, I remembered a friend had seen a cougar nearby the previous week. Doh!

Bob
Bob

November 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am #7

They've had a pretty good run in the central part of the state, We're going to be teaching them to fetch pretty soon.
Ya, I tried to feed this one Ritz crackers but that only worked with bears.

November 3rd, 2011, 4:00 pm #8

Hey guys
Rob W from Rupert here.
Long time, no post.

or

Matt heard the Oxford Bigfoot/Yeti on our hike up the left fork of Marsh Creek last saturday. If he wasn't so lazy he would have written a TR and shown the pictures. He even tried to out run me when things got tense knowing I was a lot slower (usually) and much fatter. But I beat him back to the truck! Ask him how he reacts to a couple of Coyotes yipping up Egan Basin.

Rob W
Rob W

November 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm #9

Last year there was a wolf killed and confirmed in Franklin Basin which is just east of Preston near the Utah border. I'm assuming it probably came from the Yellowstone area. Here's the article:http://news.hjnews.com/news/article_28d ... 002e0.html
Interesting graph there on your link, Matt. More wolves in Idaho than in Wyoming and Montana. Hmmmmmmm ??

November 4th, 2011, 4:47 am #10

Matt heard the Oxford Bigfoot/Yeti on our hike up the left fork of Marsh Creek last saturday. If he wasn't so lazy he would have written a TR and shown the pictures. He even tried to out run me when things got tense knowing I was a lot slower (usually) and much fatter. But I beat him back to the truck! Ask him how he reacts to a couple of Coyotes yipping up Egan Basin.
You mean this bigfoot?http://www.bigfootencounters.com/films/clynn.htm I don't know what it was that I heard but it was quite peculiar. As for the coyotes, I think I reacted how most 5 year olds would, which is what I was at the time. Perhaps we should bring up the story of that skunk by the garage which you mistook for the cat?

You know, I'm not the only one capable of writing a TR and posting pictures...

Confirmation of reply: