Willow Creek summit web cam

Willow Creek summit web cam

February 4th, 2008, 8:56 pm #1

I just noticed a new web cam on the IDT Road Conditions site- Willow Creek summit looking south at the Lost Rivers (at least I think that is what is shown):

Dave P
Dave P

February 5th, 2008, 2:27 pm #2

Idaho Transportation Dept is currently in the middle of a project that adds 40 new road cameras around the state and replaces many of the existing older ones. The complete list is here: http://apps.itd.idaho.gov/apps/RWIDS_Pu ... =statewide

Some are very scenic, others aim directly down at the hwy surface.

I had conversation with the guy in charge of the project and suggested that Banner Summit might be a good spot for a camera as there is already power and communication available (Snotel site). He said Banner wasn't on the list, but was quick to point out that ITD would be glad to operate and maintain any camera if funds were provided for the purchase and installation of the equipment.

February 5th, 2008, 4:39 pm #3

Did he estimate the cost?

Dave P
Dave P

February 5th, 2008, 6:01 pm #4

I didn't ask and he didn't offer.

Even though it's just a webcam, I'm guessing the specs of a public works project would put the cost into a draw-dropping range. Concrete, electrical, crane to install the tower/pole, industrial strength camera(s) all in a remote area.....

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 5th, 2008, 7:54 pm #5

I just noticed a new web cam on the IDT Road Conditions site- Willow Creek summit looking south at the Lost Rivers (at least I think that is what is shown):

Whoever set that one up did a great job. Good thing they didn't just point it at the pavement!

Dan
Dan

February 5th, 2008, 7:59 pm #6

View of chicken-out ridge and everything. Very nice!

February 5th, 2008, 8:41 pm #7

Yah... it was a lifesaver to find that. I had been deeply depressed ever since Gib's Borah cam went down.

Dave supplied one link to find the cams. I actually got it off IDT's new Road Conditions report at:
http://hb.511.idaho.gov/main.jsf
It's overlayed on a Google Earth function. Really slow to load, but otherwise pretty cool.

Dan
Dan

February 5th, 2008, 9:11 pm #8

Dave P
Dave P

February 5th, 2008, 9:52 pm #9

Yah... it was a lifesaver to find that. I had been deeply depressed ever since Gib's Borah cam went down.

Dave supplied one link to find the cams. I actually got it off IDT's new Road Conditions report at:
It's overlayed on a Google Earth function. Really slow to load, but otherwise pretty cool.
The 511.idaho.gov link doesn't include all of the cameras that are available. The link I provided above is the most current list/map of cameras. Newest ones are at the bottom of the list to the right of the map.

margo
margo

February 5th, 2008, 11:27 pm #10

I know someone who goes to church with Gib. I asked my friend to ask him about his webcam. Apparently, Gib gets (got) "a lot" of email from outdoor people regarding his webcam. I think he was a little aggravated about it all, because it turns out that he lives in Twin Falls and is not in Mackey very much. Here everyone was asking if he could tweak his cam....kinda funny really. But really nice that there is another option now. I'll have to get the word to Gib...he'll be glad too...

Confirmation of reply: