What peak?

Ivan Drago
Ivan Drago

November 5th, 2017, 5:29 pm #1

What peak did Rocky Balboa climb in Rocky IV? He was in the Jackson area for the filming, but the peak he climbs is unclear.

November 6th, 2017, 9:52 pm #2

OK, my curiosity got the best of me here and I just had to bite. Probably a colossal waste of time, but here goes...

A quick Google search reveals some YouTube videos to study of the shots. I used this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHC_R7ATGuI

At 19 Seconds in, I'm pretty sure that he is somewhere on Teton Pass below Mt. Glory. That looks like Glory Bowl in the shot. I'd say he was either in the Crater Lake area near the old highway, or maybe above the new highway in the Phillips Bench area.

As far as the summit, I know where it is NOT. The Google references to the question all claim the Teton Glacier. That is unquestionably false information! In fact, never at anytime in the footage is he on the Teton Glacier.

So, here is my guess as to where he actually ends up. (Researched in Google Earth using the same panorama has the movie shots). Unnamed Peak, Peak 10920 in the southern Teton Range. I'm not sure of this, but it is a pretty good guess and the other hint is I think the one distinct peak that you see during the pano is Fossil Peak, to the NW. Based on angles of the sun and the shots, I would say that is it. Here are the coordinates if you are interested.
LAT = 43°34'2.00"N
LONG = 110°54'17.84"W

November 6th, 2017, 9:54 pm #3

What peak did Rocky Balboa climb in Rocky IV? He was in the Jackson area for the filming, but the peak he climbs is unclear.

November 6th, 2017, 10:53 pm #4

OK, my curiosity got the best of me here and I just had to bite. Probably a colossal waste of time, but here goes...

A quick Google search reveals some YouTube videos to study of the shots. I used this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHC_R7ATGuI

At 19 Seconds in, I'm pretty sure that he is somewhere on Teton Pass below Mt. Glory. That looks like Glory Bowl in the shot. I'd say he was either in the Crater Lake area near the old highway, or maybe above the new highway in the Phillips Bench area.

As far as the summit, I know where it is NOT. The Google references to the question all claim the Teton Glacier. That is unquestionably false information! In fact, never at anytime in the footage is he on the Teton Glacier.

So, here is my guess as to where he actually ends up. (Researched in Google Earth using the same panorama has the movie shots). Unnamed Peak, Peak 10920 in the southern Teton Range. I'm not sure of this, but it is a pretty good guess and the other hint is I think the one distinct peak that you see during the pano is Fossil Peak, to the NW. Based on angles of the sun and the shots, I would say that is it. Here are the coordinates if you are interested.
LAT = 43°34'2.00"N
LONG = 110°54'17.84"W

Not a waste of time, that's cool stuff. That's a nice looking peak!

November 6th, 2017, 11:48 pm #5

LAT = 43°34'2.00"N
LONG = 110°54'17.84"W

Nope, he's no where near the Teton Glacier. The Teton Glacier sits at the bottom of the Grandstand below the North Face of the Grand Teton. Fake news, Google.

Bob

November 7th, 2017, 6:09 pm #6

There is one other very distinct possibility as I study this a bit more. It could also be Cody Peak, just outside the JH boundary. This actually makes sense because he wouldn't have actually had to really "climb" a mountain. They could have taken the tram up, and followed the ridge over from the top of the tram to the Cody Peak ridgeline. I've been on that many times, and there are some "knife-edge" places that they could have filmed easily. From a logistics standpoint with a film crew, this is actually the more likely scenario.

November 8th, 2017, 5:19 pm #7

This is now on my list (minus the ski down)...
https://vimeo.com/86849714

Confirmation of reply: