Totality

Totality

August 21st, 2017, 8:09 pm #1

Now that was beyond cool. I had a bunch of strangers from all over the country show up and instead of being a jerk, I invited them to park and join the party. (It was posted, no trespassing). What a great crowd and contrary to the fear mongering news reports, the traffic was not really that bad. Now come on, post your best eclipse shots folks.

Bob

RF
RF

August 21st, 2017, 9:18 pm #2

That is nice of you Bob. Idaho hospitality!

August 22nd, 2017, 2:14 am #3

Now that was beyond cool. I had a bunch of strangers from all over the country show up and instead of being a jerk, I invited them to park and join the party. (It was posted, no trespassing). What a great crowd and contrary to the fear mongering news reports, the traffic was not really that bad. Now come on, post your best eclipse shots folks.

Bob

A couple originally from Japan, who had a 2oclock flight to catch in Boise, to get back to LA?

The guy and his two nieces from Sandpoint who slept in a hay barn last night, discovering that roosters have no "off" switch?

A rather confusing assortment of people who are related to our host?

Two high school boys cutting school, from California?

A very short, very happy old lady in an Idaho Summits t-shirt?

Another set of Californians who are from even farther south than LA?

(Which means our intrepid host had folks almost from border to border, north to south)

Thanks, sir! Truly stellar party, thank you for a once in a lifetime day.

Sincerely, very, very tired old lady. Fell asleep while thinking about making dinner.
Last edited by HelenBoise on August 22nd, 2017, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 4:52 am #4

I didn't want to brave the crowds, so I went to work and then pedaled home to watch (Nampa). I have a globe willow tree just off my back patio. This is a picture of its shadow near the peak of the eclipse:

(click ...and then click again for full size)

Apparently it formed a natural array of eclipse pinhole projectors ...ignore the grease spots from the prior night's roasted chicken

-George
Last edited by Geo_R on August 23rd, 2017, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 3:28 pm #5

Bob

Looks like some of those people were looking up without proper eye protection. Hope they didn't suffer any eye damage.

August 22nd, 2017, 10:34 pm #6

Bob

Very cool Bob!

August 22nd, 2017, 10:56 pm #7

Bob

We had plans that ranged from being in the Sawtooths, to Lost Rivers, and then in the Boulders. The night before we decided we wanted an easier option so we could sleep in and pack chairs to the top of some peak. So we changed plans last minute to Swenson Butte near Chilly Flat.

It was such a last minute change that I hadn't even thought about others being on the peak. So as we neared the peak coming from Copper Basin, I immediately noticed about 10 people already on the summit at 9am. As we drove to the base of the peak, there were lots of hikers heading up the road and on the peak itself. I must say I was a bit surprised!

When we got on top I noticed a crystal on the summit cairn. It was just like the "leaverite" crystal I found in the Sawtooths, so I showed my wife. Immediately after I touched the crystal, a woman shrieked that it was hers and it was "charging" on the summit. I kindly put it down and assured her that I was just showing it to someone.

Later I would find out that the bulk of the 100 of so people on the top were a group that normally does the Burning Man festival together... interesting, but fun group! Just before the eclipse, a young lady wearing lunar tights and an alien headband insisted that the vibe on the summit was negative and she moved lower near where we were and lit her incense stick to purify the atmosphere.

Totality from Swenson Butte:

Our interesting group of eclipse watchers on top of Swenson:

August 22nd, 2017, 11:44 pm #8

I asked some people to bring me a Corona beer for the event but I didn't get one. I wanted to take a video and sell it to the Corona marketing team. I also forgot to bring Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" for music. None the less, I was not disappointed.

I met a bunch of kids who had traveled thousands of miles with their parents for the event of the summer. They quickly became bored until the eclipse started happening and instead of sitting glued to a video screen, they learned how to catch grasshoppers and praying mantis. All of them were walking around with a grasshopper or mantis on their shoulders like pets. Every one of them gave me a high-five and thank you for a brief outdoor adventure in Idaho they will never forget. And neither will I.

Bob

August 23rd, 2017, 2:40 pm #9

Bob

Bob, that is very cool! I love the community experience you created. Also, I'm sorry you didn't get to drink a Corona!

My sister came up from California for the weened and we headed into the Sawooths. Definitely more people than I usually see up there, but it's still easy to get away. Just decided NOT to head for a lake and steer clear of Redfish. I gaped, stopped long enough for a photo or two, punched my sister in the arm and then gaped some more. I wished it could have lasted longer ...

August 23rd, 2017, 2:41 pm #10

We had plans that ranged from being in the Sawtooths, to Lost Rivers, and then in the Boulders. The night before we decided we wanted an easier option so we could sleep in and pack chairs to the top of some peak. So we changed plans last minute to Swenson Butte near Chilly Flat.

It was such a last minute change that I hadn't even thought about others being on the peak. So as we neared the peak coming from Copper Basin, I immediately noticed about 10 people already on the summit at 9am. As we drove to the base of the peak, there were lots of hikers heading up the road and on the peak itself. I must say I was a bit surprised!

When we got on top I noticed a crystal on the summit cairn. It was just like the "leaverite" crystal I found in the Sawtooths, so I showed my wife. Immediately after I touched the crystal, a woman shrieked that it was hers and it was "charging" on the summit. I kindly put it down and assured her that I was just showing it to someone.

Later I would find out that the bulk of the 100 of so people on the top were a group that normally does the Burning Man festival together... interesting, but fun group! Just before the eclipse, a young lady wearing lunar tights and an alien headband insisted that the vibe on the summit was negative and she moved lower near where we were and lit her incense stick to purify the atmosphere.

Totality from Swenson Butte:

Our interesting group of eclipse watchers on top of Swenson:
I love the varied groups that gathered in bunches.

Confirmation of reply: