Top 5 Lost River Ski Lines?

Top 5 Lost River Ski Lines?

deanlords
deanlords

March 28th, 2012, 3:27 pm #1

I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be the top 5 most skied LRR lines. Super Gully, North Face of Leatherman, North Face of Church, South Face of Breitenbach, East Dickey, McCalab, something else? Doublesprings Pass? King Mtn?

Which LRR 5 see the most traffic?

Dean Lords

Dan
Dan

March 28th, 2012, 3:54 pm #2

The ones I have heard the most about (in order of popularity) are:
1. Super Gully
2. North Face of Leatherman
3. North Face of Doublespring Peak
4. McCaleb
5. South Face Breitenbach

Not familiar with Doublespring Peak? Here is some beta:

Photo from my pic of the lower portion of the north/norteast slopes

And a couple from George:

deanlords
deanlords

March 28th, 2012, 8:01 pm #3

Excellent! Keep 'em coming. Thanks for the feedback.

Also interested to hear what the earliest known ski descent for any of the top 5. Anybody care to share? Most curious to know about the Super Gully, Leatherman, and Church.

Dean

Geo
Geo

March 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm #4

I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be the top 5 most skied LRR lines. Super Gully, North Face of Leatherman, North Face of Church, South Face of Breitenbach, East Dickey, McCalab, something else? Doublesprings Pass? King Mtn?

Dean Lords
Dean:
Are you looking for history, or a an idea for a line to ski? I'm not much of a skier... but I've always thought this would make a nice run if you don't mind going in deep for some spring corn. John R (the "same John" as in Cayuse Canyon) and I were surprised by a long glissade at the top of the canyon of W Fk Burnt Ck on 7/11/10:

That's Peak 11,509 (AKA "Cleft Pk") at the top of the picture, and we started sliding just a couple hundred feet below the top.

Warning - the best way to get to the trailhead is in somebody elses rig. Other than that, traffic shouldn't be a problem.

-George

deanlords
deanlords

March 28th, 2012, 8:35 pm #5

Most interested in history! Although i would entertain any suggestions for things to ski! Thanks for jumping in on this!

Dean

March 29th, 2012, 2:09 am #6

Dean Lords
Because I don't know which lines get the most traffic, I'll turn Dean's question into which are my personal Top 5 lines that I have skied in the few years I've been doing the LRR spring / summer pilgrammage. I'm just a newbie here.

(1) Leatherman. Big and bold. I've done it the 4 past years in a row, with 3 of those being solo trips, and every time has been excellent corn snow. Views along the drive to the trailhead are worth the trip alone. As are views from the summit ridge toward Bad Rock and Church. I think it's best approached by parking vehicle where the East and West Fork roads split and riding a bike from there. Streak might be broken this year unless the LRR April snow machine kicks in.

(2) North side of Borah. I've not skied the North Face, just the ramps beneath it. One feels small staring up at the Face.

(3) Supergully. Long and consistently good pitch. Easy approach for an LRR line, almost too easy.

(4) Mahogany Chutes (11452). Probably not skied much. Do one, then the other. Can get to trailhead with 2wd. After skiing, it's worth hiking to the overlook of Borah North Face.

(5) Mule Springs Gully in Doublesprings Pass. Another one with easy approach, which I've skied it more than any other line. Sweeping views of the Pass and Dickey. Can be combined with other lines in Doublesprings, including those in Buck Creek and Cayuse Canyon.

And then there's my to-do list.

(1) Tomahawk on 11909.

(2) NW face of Doublesprings Peak.

(3) SE line on Al West.

(4) S face of Breitenbach.

(5) NE side of Church.

Let's hope the LRR season actually happens this year!

Geo
Geo

March 29th, 2012, 3:30 am #7

Is this Tomahawk (NF 11909)?

John R photo, 7/1/2007. If you look real close, you can see glissade tracks from the previous day.
-George

March 29th, 2012, 4:15 am #8

I read somewhere that's what it's called.

Wes
Wes

March 29th, 2012, 11:20 pm #9

Dean Lords
For me the best lines have been those in the best condition while I'm skiing them. Leatherman for example was at one time, the best and worst line I'd skied out here. The first trip was death crust and shrieking winds, the second time,, sweet corn and sunshine! Some of the best rides I've had have been on lines that looked worse than a Memphis tramp on Monday morning. My #1 pick so far is the North side of Church. It's a line that's a lot more than just a line. It sits in one of the most scenic parts of the range and the drive/hike in is hard to beat. The line it's self is a wide twisting corridor guarded by stair-step cliffs on either side that give it its own unique feel. That being said, on the wrong day this could easily be one of the worst descents in the range.
I know Marc Hanselman hit it a couple weeks before I did in May of 2010 but I wouldnt be surprised if Kim Anderson didnt tick it off before that.

splattski
splattski

March 30th, 2012, 1:41 am #10

Word on the street is that this is Wes:

http://vimeo.com/25735053

Confirmation of reply: