The hacking of SummitPost ?

The hacking of SummitPost ?

SummitGirl
SummitGirl

March 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm #1

Do you guys know why it is that numerous times, like this morning, i try to access summitpost and just get redirected to a thank you page? Even accessing it off a google search results link redirects to the thank you page.

In researching i found that "Due to spammer problems, we had to block all IP address coming from proxies." I'm trying to look up something from work, but i've had it happen at home too. Is there a work around for this?

thx

Dan
Dan

March 22nd, 2012, 4:19 pm #2

I can't get to SP from work or my phone, both redirect to the thank you page. Not sure what kind of hacking they have experienced, I'd be interested in hearing more.

March 22nd, 2012, 4:37 pm #3

Do you guys know why it is that numerous times, like this morning, i try to access summitpost and just get redirected to a thank you page? Even accessing it off a google search results link redirects to the thank you page.

In researching i found that "Due to spammer problems, we had to block all IP address coming from proxies." I'm trying to look up something from work, but i've had it happen at home too. Is there a work around for this?

thx
If you know exactly what your looking for, do a google search for that climb or trip report. Then in Windows explorer there is an arrow off to the right, if you hover over it, you will see a preview of the page. Instead of clicking on it and going to the thank you page, you need to look for the "cached" link under the url and you will be directed to the web page as it existed before the website went down.
Hope this helps.
Kevin

March 22nd, 2012, 4:39 pm #4

I've been able to get on SP with no problems.

March 22nd, 2012, 4:46 pm #5

thx
Summitpost is up and running for now.
This brings me to an interesting topic. What is to become of Guide Books? Thanks to all the modern advances in internet, anyone can climb a route/peak and post it on a website. Personaly I have benefited a ton from Splatski's trips and photos. the question remains, will Tom Lopez copy and paste it into his Second edition of his book? Will guide books stop? What would become of all the mountaineering data and knowledge if the SummitPost website just stopped working forever?
Kevin

SummitGirl
SummitGirl

March 22nd, 2012, 6:50 pm #6

I've been able to get on SP with no problems.
I still can't get to it, but i have better luck at home. I read it's a known problem and that the redirect was set up by summitpost. I've actually used the site for work before, so it's annoying that it doesn't seem to be accessible at work anymore...

I'll try the workaround...thanks....as always, you guys rock!

Tom Lopez
Tom Lopez

March 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm #7

This brings me to an interesting topic. What is to become of Guide Books? Thanks to all the modern advances in internet, anyone can climb a route/peak and post it on a website. Personaly I have benefited a ton from Splatski's trips and photos. the question remains, will Tom Lopez copy and paste it into his Second edition of his book? Will guide books stop? What would become of all the mountaineering data and knowledge if the SummitPost website just stopped working forever?
Kevin
Kevin, Guidebooks for small markets are probably not dead but certainly near death and undoubtedly not profitable.

Last year my book (which is the second edition) finally sold out the first printing. The first edition's first printing sold out in 2.5 years (as opposed to 12 years for the much better second edition). At the current rate of sales it will take 25 years to sell the same number of books the first edition sold in 8 years.

When preparing for the second printing, I tried to get the publisher to add another 50 pages. The answer was "no--not cost effective." I was not surprised but I was happy they at least did a second printing.

You can put a lot more information on a web site than in a book and the cost is much less for the web site owner and the consumer. There is no reason to suspect the one is more accurate than the other. However, the fact that you can edit entries, add trip reports, add as many photos and maps as you wish means much more data is likely to be found on the web than in a book like mine. More data should mean more accuracy.

I was brought up on books and thus I have a great attachment to them. However, I suspect that before long there will be many people who do not own books and have little or no contact with them in their daily lives.

The future? There is a great app for Android phones for Colorado's 14ers. You can download everything for a climb on your phone and consult it as you climb even if you do not have coverage. Its free. The info is free. Sweet! Not sure how long it will be free but I suspect it will be free as long as the publisher is alive.

What happens is SummitPost goes away. I imagine some one has copied the whole site and it will come back.

The world will continue to turn . . . .

March 28th, 2012, 8:12 pm #8

I like books too and I always turn to yours first when I climb in Idaho. I'd be one of the ones who would buy a third edition if there ever were one.

splattski
splattski

March 29th, 2012, 4:26 pm #9

Kevin
I still use Tom's book. A lot.

It's usually in the gear bag when I head out somewhere. Best "Getting There" guide there is. And you never know when you might need a "Plan B".

And I keep it on the night stand next to my bed. Reading it helps me dream.....

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 29th, 2012, 5:24 pm #10

Kevin, Guidebooks for small markets are probably not dead but certainly near death and undoubtedly not profitable.

Last year my book (which is the second edition) finally sold out the first printing. The first edition's first printing sold out in 2.5 years (as opposed to 12 years for the much better second edition). At the current rate of sales it will take 25 years to sell the same number of books the first edition sold in 8 years.

When preparing for the second printing, I tried to get the publisher to add another 50 pages. The answer was "no--not cost effective." I was not surprised but I was happy they at least did a second printing.

You can put a lot more information on a web site than in a book and the cost is much less for the web site owner and the consumer. There is no reason to suspect the one is more accurate than the other. However, the fact that you can edit entries, add trip reports, add as many photos and maps as you wish means much more data is likely to be found on the web than in a book like mine. More data should mean more accuracy.

I was brought up on books and thus I have a great attachment to them. However, I suspect that before long there will be many people who do not own books and have little or no contact with them in their daily lives.

The future? There is a great app for Android phones for Colorado's 14ers. You can download everything for a climb on your phone and consult it as you climb even if you do not have coverage. Its free. The info is free. Sweet! Not sure how long it will be free but I suspect it will be free as long as the publisher is alive.

What happens is SummitPost goes away. I imagine some one has copied the whole site and it will come back.

The world will continue to turn . . . .
Regardless of the future of books in general. I have bought 5 of them as gifts and one for myself. Also stays on my night stand for easy reach and dreaming, and for the ultimate argument closer. It has "launched a thousand" expeditions into the vertical delights of Idaho and and will never be obsolete.

Confirmation of reply: