SUNDAY CLIMB/ SMOKY DOME,Fairfield

SUNDAY CLIMB/ SMOKY DOME,Fairfield

June 30th, 2012, 1:44 am #1

Starting the quest to do the Idaho range high points starting with Smoky....
Meet at Mcy D's at 6 am Sunday.
Room for 2 more climbers.
Doug
941-8000

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

July 1st, 2012, 1:40 am #2

I hiked it in 2007 and thought it was a very interesting hike and a great conditioning trip.

(I will mention, for any DFC&FC members reading this: there is a great view of Castle Peak from the top of Smoky Dome!)

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 2nd, 2012, 4:32 am #3

I recomend shttling and climbing peaks 3,2,1 as well. great views and yo will have the smmits to yorself. have fun

July 2nd, 2012, 1:10 pm #4

Left Boise at 6 AM, found our way to the trailhead we used/ Climbed from the road at 66oo' off FR848. We did not take a good map, so rule #1, take a map. We tried to do it from memory. It worked out but we added about a mile of ridge climbing. We summited the ridge to the left of the peak about a mile from the summit. James and I hiked the ridge navigating the bushes, the snow that was left. Summited in 4 hours, 30 minutes on top and 2 hours back to the car. Bush wacked back to the road and down to the car. We figured we did 10 miles of hiking and 4k of climbing. A great day in the mountains, noone back there, a hidden gem. We did here coyotes at the start.

July 2nd, 2012, 1:42 pm #5

I recomend shttling and climbing peaks 3,2,1 as well. great views and yo will have the smmits to yorself. have fun
How do you approach this. Do you have a route?

SpiderLegs
SpiderLegs

July 2nd, 2012, 2:23 pm #6

Left Boise at 6 AM, found our way to the trailhead we used/ Climbed from the road at 66oo' off FR848. We did not take a good map, so rule #1, take a map. We tried to do it from memory. It worked out but we added about a mile of ridge climbing. We summited the ridge to the left of the peak about a mile from the summit. James and I hiked the ridge navigating the bushes, the snow that was left. Summited in 4 hours, 30 minutes on top and 2 hours back to the car. Bush wacked back to the road and down to the car. We figured we did 10 miles of hiking and 4k of climbing. A great day in the mountains, noone back there, a hidden gem. We did here coyotes at the start.
Another great day for climbing. Did not go all the way to Fairfield, but approached from Vodermeir Lane which is the third road on the left just outside of Hill City. Headed north from Hwy 20 about 14+/- miles until we got to the end of NF 484 just past the turnoff to Bremner Trail.

Went up the wrong drainage and ended up at least a mile off on the saddle between the summits of Smoky Dome and Iron Mountain. Thinking we may have hit Boardman Peak? From there a nice traverse along the ridge line with some nice class 3 scrambling until we hit the saddle of Smoky Dome. Quick pop up the saddle and we were on Smoky Dome.

Should have done a little more homework on this one, but we made it out with our bushwacking skills greatly improved.

Ray Brooks
Ray Brooks

July 2nd, 2012, 2:57 pm #7

How do you approach this. Do you have a route?
It looks like Spider Legs has the route.

Vodermier Rd. is about 1 mile East of Hill City on Hwy 20.
Drive north up it for about 5 miles, and go left on Chimney Cr. Road and follow it for many miles toward Smoky Dome. High clearance and 4wd is good near the end of the road, after it drops into Ear Creek and starts climbing.

I parked around 7,700 Ft, before the road (track) got really steep and rough. From there it is about 2 1/2 miles to the summit. There is a very rough motor-head track for a while, that is the most logical route. Of course I didn't take it going up, since I was heading directly & dumbly to the summit, but used it for my return.

SpiderLegs
SpiderLegs

July 3rd, 2012, 9:21 pm #8

Well let's see if this works. Some pics from the trip on Sunday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1114295122 ... directlink

Confirmation of reply: