Subaru Outback to trailhead of Church and Donaldson?

Subaru Outback to trailhead of Church and Donaldson?

July 20th, 2012, 5:35 pm #1

Can Subaru Outback make it to the trailhead of Mount Church and Donaldson Peak from the Lone Cedar Road? Also, is Lone Cedar Road marked? Any advice? Thanks!

Dan
Dan

July 20th, 2012, 7:25 pm #2

Yes a Subaru can make it. Follow the map splattski posted in the previous thread about the North Fork of Jones Creek approach or my driving directions in the Williams Peak trip report. It isn't that hard to find... that is a desolate area.

July 20th, 2012, 8:13 pm #3

Great! Thank you Dan for the info. Will drive this road tonight for climbing Church and Donaldson tomorrow.

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 24th, 2012, 12:57 am #4

Let me know how the road is,I am going for No Regret Peak next weekend and need to know if the forester will make it. I was up there a few years back and remember a deep rain gutter in the road that was a bit worriesome but the rest of the driive was pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance,

Mike

July 24th, 2012, 5:17 am #5

Mike,

My Outback did it last weekend without any problems. Forester should be just fine. Are you planning to climb No Regret by the connecting ridge from Donaldson? Just curious...

Mike F.
Mike F.

July 24th, 2012, 12:57 pm #6

Thats what I am thinking. I'll post after if it works out. Thanks,

July 24th, 2012, 2:53 pm #7

Mike,

My Outback did it last weekend without any problems. Forester should be just fine. Are you planning to climb No Regret by the connecting ridge from Donaldson? Just curious...
Oleg, How did Mt.Idaho and Church / Donaldson go? What route did you take for Church / Donaldson? I'll be taking my outback there in a couple weeks. Is there anywhere decent to camp at the trail head?

Cheers! Tom

Jacob
Jacob

July 24th, 2012, 5:05 pm #8

Tom

I have seen others camp at the trail head of Church and Donaldson. Another idea is to hike up to the base of Church and camp for the night there is running water up there even if there is no running water at the trail head this late in the year. I have done that and it made for a shorter day for the climb on Church and Donaldson.

Jacob

July 24th, 2012, 10:11 pm #9

Oleg, How did Mt.Idaho and Church / Donaldson go? What route did you take for Church / Donaldson? I'll be taking my outback there in a couple weeks. Is there anywhere decent to camp at the trail head?

Cheers! Tom
Tom, the trip was harder than I anticipated, but it was great overall. Awesome views all around from the top. Pure class 3 scramble from Donaldson to Church, which was a real fun! We also liked walking in some beautiful meadows near the base of Church and thought that those resemble Pioneers more than LRR. I will try to post a few pictures later. We took the Lone Cedar Road drainage up and for the return. Stay down in the drainage all the way, if you will use the same approach. There is plenty of room for camping at the trailhead, but no really flat area, no water or shade. I was sleeping in my outback and was permanently sliding down. Bring something with you to level your sleeping place and make it more comfortable, if you plan on sleeping in your car. Jacob in his response has a good point that you can also consider. There was plenty of running water higher up. For the round trip I used in total 3.5L of water, but if I had a water filter, I should not have carried all that extra weight during the entire day. Prepare for a long day in the mountains and consider alpine start, if you are a regular guy as I am and not a trail runner. Hope it helps. Have a nice climb!

Steve W
Steve W

July 25th, 2012, 2:07 am #10

Tom

I have seen others camp at the trail head of Church and Donaldson. Another idea is to hike up to the base of Church and camp for the night there is running water up there even if there is no running water at the trail head this late in the year. I have done that and it made for a shorter day for the climb on Church and Donaldson.

Jacob
Thats what I will do next time, all the way up Jones creek and camp there.

Confirmation of reply: