Spring forward

SeanD
SeanD

March 14th, 2011, 5:01 pm #11

impressive looking peak when view from the north. Thanks for the geo-puzzle.

March 14th, 2011, 7:58 pm #12

You, Sir, are the King.
Nope, just Commoner, working in the powder fields. "Just another bro in the skintrack", as they would say now.

I'm fortunate to have outstanding touring partners and a flexible enough life and work schedule that I can get the snow while it's good.

Jim

Dave
Dave

March 15th, 2011, 2:56 am #13

Sean-
I think that's it. I was thinking that we might be sighting down the ridge that holds Cony. The spires in your picture appear to match up.
Warbonnet was off to the left a ways, and we were guessing that Packrat was out of sight behind there somewhere. I think I'd recognize the mouse ears.
Yep John, I think you called it right during our climb. Great views from that ridge, a unique angle on the Sawtooths.

idpeakgirl
idpeakgirl

March 17th, 2011, 12:23 am #14

Excellent TR, geo-game, and photos on this great area. Thanks all!

March 18th, 2011, 4:42 am #15

You, Sir, are the King.
Yeah, hard not to feel like a king on a sunny powder day like today.

March 18th, 2011, 4:24 pm #16

Jim, we always look forward to your pictures. Great shots!

Any signs of avalanche danger out towards Pilot Peak? Looking to get out tomorrow and the avy forecast hasn't been looking too good.

March 18th, 2011, 6:25 pm #17

John,

We saw no signs of snowpack instability yesterday.

Keep in mind there is no avalanche forecast for the Boise Mountains. Those from nearby areas can be used as rough guides to what one might expect in the Boise Mountains, but should not be used in place of an actual forecast, or more importantly, your own observations or those of ski partners who were out skiing when you were not.

I expect the skiing to be quite good this coming weekend.

Jim

March 20th, 2011, 3:42 am #18

Jim, we always look forward to your pictures. Great shots!

Any signs of avalanche danger out towards Pilot Peak? Looking to get out tomorrow and the avy forecast hasn't been looking too good.
Snowpack at Mores Creek Summit is a tale of two dust layers.

One was deposited near the end of the January to February dry spell, above the MLK rain crust. The other was deposited on Friday. Between them is 1.25 m of right-way-up snow without any appreciable rapid density changes or weak layers, aside from a couple narrow graupel layers. A photo from a N-facing slope at 7400':

The older dust layer is at the top of the shovel blade. The recent one is 2cm below the surface.

A column test showed failure on the MLK rain crust, just below the older dust layer, at CT16:

Today's Sawtooth avalanche advisory has a good discussion of these issues:
http://www.sawtoothavalanche.com

As usual, the boys were flying all around:

It snowed heavily at times:

But was also partly sunny:

And completely sunny:

A big group today. We moved together well:

I expect Sunday will feature more good skiing.

Confirmation of reply: