Some hard earned turns in the Lemhis... (Caution...lots of photos)

Some hard earned turns in the Lemhis... (Caution...lots of photos)

May 10th, 2010, 8:02 pm #1

The peaks were awesome to behold.....

Yours truely..

May 10th, 2010, 10:56 pm #2

peak is the looker's right?

May 11th, 2010, 12:18 am #3

...The Brow - 11,005!

May 11th, 2010, 2:40 am #4

The peaks were awesome to behold.....

Yours truely..

If you want to be the first to make a ski descent of The Brow, don't delay. Others have this on their minds also.

Big Lost, I believe you used to play a photo game called 'Name That Peak'. Identifying one's own photos can be challenging enough, and telephoto shots are always hard to place. So, at the risk of showing my ignorance, let me try to get into your mind to recreate your outing and what you saw. It is said you could show Fred Beckey a photo of any peak in the US and he'd closely place it. Awesome! I'll just stick to east central Idaho.

From Hwy 28 above Kaufman, you left Birch Creek Valley and headed NW up the steppes above Rocky Canyon in the Lemhi Range. You then hiked to around Point 8243'. From there you boarded into the protected bowl at the head of Keg Gulch. Here's what you saw:

Photo 1: Diamond Peak, N Face. In 1913 TM Bannon identified this peak as 'The Thumb'. Believe Duane Monte was first to ski off this summit, late 1980's.
Photo 2: Looking across Birch Creek Valley to mouth of Willow Creek. Beaverhead peaks L to R; Cottonwood, Jump, Eighteenmile. On a recently discovered 1913 BLM map of Idaho, Jump was identified as 'High Rock Peak'.
Photo 3: Looking down into S Fork Meadow Canyon.
Photo 4: View W to Bell Mountain, which Bannon called 'The Finger'. On right, flank of Meadow Peak.
Photo 5: Meadow Canyon outwash, view NW to Sheep Mountain aka Spring Mtn. The best ski mtn in LemRa?? I've boot skied it, but don't know if anyone's actually skied off the top.
Photo 6: Nearing your destination, view N to Beaverhead Mtns- big MonIda Baldy and Mt Carpenter on right.
Photo 7: Keg Gulch, flank of Incredible Hulk, but maybe Meadow Peak?
Photo9: NE aspect Incredible Hulk.
Photo 10: More Incredible.
Photo 11: Rust Peak 10759', up Rocky Canyon.
Photo 13: The Brow, Rocky Canyon aspect.
Photo 14: Keg Ridge view NE to Beaverhead L to R: Italian Pk, Huh's, Scott. Forepeaks are called Toe and Heel.

Will you hire me as a caption artist?

May 11th, 2010, 2:43 am #5

...The Brow - 11,005!
Looks like there is a good quantity of tasty limestone near there as well.

May 11th, 2010, 5:23 am #6

If you want to be the first to make a ski descent of The Brow, don't delay. Others have this on their minds also.

Big Lost, I believe you used to play a photo game called 'Name That Peak'. Identifying one's own photos can be challenging enough, and telephoto shots are always hard to place. So, at the risk of showing my ignorance, let me try to get into your mind to recreate your outing and what you saw. It is said you could show Fred Beckey a photo of any peak in the US and he'd closely place it. Awesome! I'll just stick to east central Idaho.

From Hwy 28 above Kaufman, you left Birch Creek Valley and headed NW up the steppes above Rocky Canyon in the Lemhi Range. You then hiked to around Point 8243'. From there you boarded into the protected bowl at the head of Keg Gulch. Here's what you saw:

Photo 1: Diamond Peak, N Face. In 1913 TM Bannon identified this peak as 'The Thumb'. Believe Duane Monte was first to ski off this summit, late 1980's.
Photo 2: Looking across Birch Creek Valley to mouth of Willow Creek. Beaverhead peaks L to R; Cottonwood, Jump, Eighteenmile. On a recently discovered 1913 BLM map of Idaho, Jump was identified as 'High Rock Peak'.
Photo 4: View W to Bell Mountain, which Bannon called 'The Finger'. On right, flank of Meadow Peak.
Photo 5: Meadow Canyon outwash, view NW to Sheep Mountain aka Spring Mtn. The best ski mtn in LemRa?? I've boot skied it, but don't know if anyone's actually skied off the top.
Photo 6: Nearing your destination, view N to Beaverhead Mtns- big MonIda Baldy and Mt Carpenter on right.
Photo 14: Keg Ridge view NE to Beaverhead L to R: Italian Pk, Huh's, Scott. Forepeaks are called Toe and Heel.

You are very close in your trip description, though we hiked in a bit further than point 8243. We actually made up to the divide between Meadow and Rocky Canyons.... to Point 8738....

I will comment on the rest of your caption arteest-ish-ness tomorrow , when I can think straight!

May 11th, 2010, 4:41 pm #7

Shot#

1. Diamond on the way in!

2. Yes...looking across Birch Creek Valley to the Beaverheads Interesting that Jump was identified as 'High Rock Peak'.... who knew?

3. This is actually looking up into Rocky Canyon from near here....http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.25614,-11 ... 0Peak%20ID

4. Yep...no mistaking Bell!

5. Sheep, Gilmore and Portland!

6. MonIda Baldy and Mt Carpenter on right. Cool!

7. Fat guy in photo...

8. Smile says it all....

9.& 10. Yes...Incredible Hulk....it is indeed!

11. This is Diamond!!!

12. This is Tate!!

13. The Brow and what I assume is a bit of the Riddler??

14. Yes...NE to Beaverhead L to R: Italian Pk, Huh's, Scott. Forepeaks are called Toe and Heel. Here is where I have a question...those fore peaks....the one in the middle in particular, I noticed a good trail to the top of it in my wanderings, and somewhere in my dim memory I had thought I had either read or heard that this small peak was littered with the bones of horses...kind of a horse graveyard. Can you confirm....or was this just a dream I had many years ago while dreaming my dreams of climbing?

15.Charles and Tate part way down off 8738!

May 11th, 2010, 10:52 pm #8

Big Lost, to stab at your question:

The canyon bottoms around Toe and Heel have trails, but in 2008 I could find no evidence that the upper areas of either peak had been previously visited. Both are on spur ridges of Italian Peak and are name analogies to Italy's boot.

As far as trails, this is totally disgusting. Around 15 years ago someone on a dirt bike highmarked the south face of 10998' Italian Peak almost to its summit. Chain reaction erosion ensued, so now there is this big ugly channeled scar that will never heal. Speaking of heels!

Regarding horse bones, there are two schools of thought- inform the public so they can respect the resource, OR don't tell them because they are sure to ruin it.
About 4 miles south of the Italian/Scott Peak complex, on Idaho's Beaverhead crest, is a 10120' mountain I call Dead Horse Summit. A little ways off the high point is this several hundred year old peculiar rock ring littered with blanched horse bones:

Shortly after this May 1990 visit, Targhee National Forest archaeologist Skip Willingham was able to confirm this as a Native American visionquest site. Why were horses here? They probably congregated to forage on the grasses above timberline. With storms and impassable deep snow in the trees, here they perished. Mountain buffalo would sometimes graze up high also,

Walk softly,
Rick

May 11th, 2010, 11:08 pm #9

Shot#

1. Diamond on the way in!

2. Yes...looking across Birch Creek Valley to the Beaverheads Interesting that Jump was identified as 'High Rock Peak'.... who knew?

3. This is actually looking up into Rocky Canyon from near here....http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.25614,-11 ... 0Peak%20ID

4. Yep...no mistaking Bell!

5. Sheep, Gilmore and Portland!

6. MonIda Baldy and Mt Carpenter on right. Cool!

7. Fat guy in photo...

8. Smile says it all....

9.& 10. Yes...Incredible Hulk....it is indeed!

11. This is Diamond!!!

12. This is Tate!!

13. The Brow and what I assume is a bit of the Riddler??

14. Yes...NE to Beaverhead L to R: Italian Pk, Huh's, Scott. Forepeaks are called Toe and Heel. Here is where I have a question...those fore peaks....the one in the middle in particular, I noticed a good trail to the top of it in my wanderings, and somewhere in my dim memory I had thought I had either read or heard that this small peak was littered with the bones of horses...kind of a horse graveyard. Can you confirm....or was this just a dream I had many years ago while dreaming my dreams of climbing?

15.Charles and Tate part way down off 8738!
Big Lost, your Incredible Hulk photos show off this mountain well. Please allow me one more story.
On 6/9/90 I ascended this hulking limestone horst and became enthralled with its wildness despite the set back of managing to run my video camera in reverse, thus losing all footage. In keeping with the theme of comic book bad guys- Riddler, Big Boy, Joker- Incredible Hulk fit well into this imagined Lemhi Range pantheon.

In 2002 Lou Ferrigno, a truly incredible bodybuilder and star of the TV series 'Incredible Hulk', made a promo appearance at World's Gym in Idaho Falls. This I couldn't resist, though I must admit the idea of naming a mountain for a big fantasy green monster was beyond Lou. Anyway, after waiting in line and paying $10, I have this autograph:

'To Rick from The Hulk'. It's my only personalized autographed mountain, a one of a kind!

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 11th, 2010, 11:27 pm #10

Confirmation of reply: