Proposed Mores Creek Dam- Homes Under Water Etc.

Proposed Mores Creek Dam- Homes Under Water Etc.

Sean
Sean

June 16th, 2010, 3:33 am #1

A Corp of Engineer dam is planned on being built soon. One of the finalists is a dam called Dunnigan that would be located near Hummingbird Haven close to the turn off of ID-21 to Robie Creek. This dam would put hundreds of homes under water at Wilderness Ranch, Osprey, Mores Rim, Clear Creek, Daggett. Idaho 21 would be relocated east of the reservoir. This dam and it's reservoir would be on the scale of Arrowrock and what's behind it. The water level in the area would be around 3700 feet which completely submerges the Mores Creek valley, the plateaus of above it, and all the small side valley. The reservoir would extend close to Idaho City. They would pump in water from the Payette to fill up the reservoir.

At a town hall meeting to discuss this the Corp of Engineers sounded pretty serious that one of the proposed dams will happen. Apparently, there is money that needs to be spent, or lost. They said ground will be broken in 2012 and the completion around 2024.

This is pretty heady stuff for someone who lives in the pines and may end up with reservoir front property, or worse being bought out and relocated because we'd be under water. And beyond that, more riparian habitat would disappear. It's hard to imagine something on this scale could happen, but who knows. They are known for huge projects.

This is in the initial stages and there is just one web site that I found that lists some info:

http://www.idahorivers.org/protectriver ... winsprings

zdv

June 16th, 2010, 4:02 am #2

Thank you for that link. I hiked Sheep Mtn this weekend and was blown away by the incredible scenery of the Middle Fork of the Boise. It had been over nine years since I'd been up that way - I felt like I was experiencing a beauty I didn't fully appreciate all those years ago. While ere it occurred to me that inundation of the gorgeous terrain was a possibility based on some articles I remembered reading in the Statesman. Besides evoking images of what was lost during the construction of the Arrowrock, Anderson Ranch, and Lucky Peak dams, it made me wonder about the impetus for a fourth dam along the Boise. Do you happen to know why a fourth dam is considered necessary?

June 16th, 2010, 4:10 am #3

A Corp of Engineer dam is planned on being built soon. One of the finalists is a dam called Dunnigan that would be located near Hummingbird Haven close to the turn off of ID-21 to Robie Creek. This dam would put hundreds of homes under water at Wilderness Ranch, Osprey, Mores Rim, Clear Creek, Daggett. Idaho 21 would be relocated east of the reservoir. This dam and it's reservoir would be on the scale of Arrowrock and what's behind it. The water level in the area would be around 3700 feet which completely submerges the Mores Creek valley, the plateaus of above it, and all the small side valley. The reservoir would extend close to Idaho City. They would pump in water from the Payette to fill up the reservoir.

At a town hall meeting to discuss this the Corp of Engineers sounded pretty serious that one of the proposed dams will happen. Apparently, there is money that needs to be spent, or lost. They said ground will be broken in 2012 and the completion around 2024.

This is pretty heady stuff for someone who lives in the pines and may end up with reservoir front property, or worse being bought out and relocated because we'd be under water. And beyond that, more riparian habitat would disappear. It's hard to imagine something on this scale could happen, but who knows. They are known for huge projects.

This is in the initial stages and there is just one web site that I found that lists some info:

That's odd. The only reason that Corps builds dams is either for navigation or flood control (to keep homes from being underwater). At least that's what they told me when I was working there. ...Maybe you (sparsely populated) folk living up in the hills don't rate as high as the (densely populated) not-so-brilliant folk that built their homes in the floodplain down below.

Whenever I hear of situations like this, I'm reminded of a saying I once heard that went something like this: "A developer is someone that wants to build a house in the woods. An environmentalist is someone that already owns a house in the woods." It kind of removes the "black-and-white" of the situation.

-George

P.S. I hope you don't read this as me trying to piss you off. I'm just trying to fire you up. I don't really have a dog in this fight.

June 16th, 2010, 4:40 am #4

They'll have an environmental mess up in Clear Creek with all the meth labs. And I guess that the "toughest" half marathon will have a swimming leg.

Kidding aside, I can't understand why they would put a dam there. I would think that there is an insidious reason. Water to the Land of Fruits and Nuts? No matter what, I hope that your home is safe.

George Hayduke
George Hayduke

June 16th, 2010, 5:42 am #5

The reason for the dam is water storage for the valley. Not flood control or navigation according to the Corp. Perhaps thinking of valley growth in the future? Maybe for the strong agriculture contingency in the valley? They have earmarked money that needs to be spent or lost also.

There are far more environmentalist and recreationists in town than out here in the the 6B, so whether the project gets done or not will be based solely on money issues and not public outcry.

zdv
zdv

June 16th, 2010, 12:32 pm #6

Is the vibe from the town hall meeting(s) that residents of the 6B generally support the idea of another dam? Or one particular alternative over another?

June 16th, 2010, 1:36 pm #7

incredible political pressure is brought play against it. Read Cadillac Desert, by Marc Reisner to learn what you are up against. Its a fascinating read as it recounts the history of dam construction in this country. In my opinion, while the Corp's excuse is water storage, the real reason for any large dam these days is to ensure the continuation of the Corp as a functioning government entity.

Building any of the dams shown on the Idaho Rivers United web site would be hard to justify from an economic stand point and a disaster for the Boise River system.

matt b.
matt b.

June 16th, 2010, 2:58 pm #8

Thank you for that link. I hiked Sheep Mtn this weekend and was blown away by the incredible scenery of the Middle Fork of the Boise. It had been over nine years since I'd been up that way - I felt like I was experiencing a beauty I didn't fully appreciate all those years ago. While ere it occurred to me that inundation of the gorgeous terrain was a possibility based on some articles I remembered reading in the Statesman. Besides evoking images of what was lost during the construction of the Arrowrock, Anderson Ranch, and Lucky Peak dams, it made me wonder about the impetus for a fourth dam along the Boise. Do you happen to know why a fourth dam is considered necessary?
Zach, I know there are proposals to build another dam in the Boise system. I have not heard of any credible and specific proposals. I don't see the proposed dam on More's Creek mentioned above as being particularly credible at all. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the result of someone trying to get people antsy so that a dam in a more remote part of the system doesn't seem as crazy...

Matt

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 16th, 2010, 5:29 pm #9

incredible political pressure is brought play against it. Read Cadillac Desert, by Marc Reisner to learn what you are up against. Its a fascinating read as it recounts the history of dam construction in this country. In my opinion, while the Corp's excuse is water storage, the real reason for any large dam these days is to ensure the continuation of the Corp as a functioning government entity.

Building any of the dams shown on the Idaho Rivers United web site would be hard to justify from an economic stand point and a disaster for the Boise River system.
The corps is also looking at rebuilding Teton Dam for the same purposes. Irrigation and flood control. We all know how well that went last time with the demise of Teton Dam and problems with the underlying geology where the dam would be placed.

Judi S
Judi S

June 16th, 2010, 5:48 pm #10

I have paddled the Middle Fork of the Boise River (Class II+) and thus have seen the site of the proposed Twin Springs Dam at a narrow spot - a picturesque gorge downstream of hotsprings.

We always see anglers on both sides of the river, fishing for trout, kokanee salmon, etc. and families camping/picnicking. Kingfishers, deer... it is a great escape close to town on a hot day, one of the many unheralded gems of Idaho.

We have all read the news about homes in the Treasure Valley being threatened by high flow in the Boise River from time-to-time. A floodway plan was made years ago to prevent this - but keeping the floodways open is not enforced. Hence developers pile fill to raise land within the floodways above the 100-year flood level and build houses. The displaced water seeks the next lowest path (the neighborhood built earlier without fill). Some of the homes threatened are $$$$, hence complaints and lawsuits against the cities.

Seems to me the communities along the Boise River can just stop development within the floodways and remove this reason for upstream flood control. Make the floodways parks - in comparison, little damage is done if a park floods once in a while, all the rest of the year the quality of life is high because of the green space - a win/win situation (except for the Army Corp of Engineers).

A lot can be done with water conservation in the valley to meet demand.

I agree with Tom - action against these dams is not premature.

Confirmation of reply: