Plans this Weekend?

Plans this Weekend?

Dan
Dan

July 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm #1

I am camping with the family, going to try to get a bunch of them up Blackman Peak in the White Clouds on Saturday. On Sunday, I plan on trying out a few of the unnamed 10ers in the southern White Clouds.

Dave
Dave

July 2nd, 2010, 3:59 pm #2

I'm finally going to tackle Castle Peak Saturday!

July 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm #3

It's about time! Good luck with that!

mlsl
mlsl

July 2nd, 2010, 8:18 pm #4

I am camping with the family, going to try to get a bunch of them up Blackman Peak in the White Clouds on Saturday. On Sunday, I plan on trying out a few of the unnamed 10ers in the southern White Clouds.
I and my broken ribs are travelling to Montana where i plan to summit Mt. Helena for the fireworks. Technically I am grounded. Last weekend some friends and I strung together Bonneville Peak, Snow Peak, and Haystack Mountain in the Portneuf Range. 12.2 mi. 3.8k up, 5.5k down. It's starting to look better in the high country so i am thinking road trip...once i lighten my pack a bit among my friends. Hey, that's what friends are for!!

Smoove910
Smoove910

July 2nd, 2010, 8:26 pm #5

Taking the old lady and the dogs to Cabin Creek lakes and attempting to bag Peak 9997, 10,072, and 10,269. Of course, this is an optomistic goal, when realistically we'll probably make it to 9997 or 10,072.

Looking to find a place to camp along Iron Creek (so we don't have to pay a fee) until Sunday morning when we head back.

For all those in the Sawtooth/Whitecloud area, good luck and I hope you waterproofed your tents. We are sposed to receive evening showers tonight and Saturday evening.

Cheers!

Sean
Sean

July 3rd, 2010, 9:46 pm #6

4 inches of heavy wet snow last night at Island Lake near Ruffneck Peak- Frank Church / 7 miles NE of ID-21

July 3rd, 2010, 11:16 pm #7

1/2" at Goat Lake, and not nearly cold enough!

July 4th, 2010, 4:05 am #8

Goat Lake crew #2 showed up to relieve crew #1 (John and Ralph). The crews apparently crossed paths at the outlet to the lake, when a couple that was eating breakfast pointed to my left and said "those guys were just on Merritt". I only caught a glimpse of them. Too bad we didn't meet.

I first went up to Merritt Bowl because it's been looking great on the webcam over the past few weeks. View the other way is also nice:

After that I headed up to the Thompson col. Views of the peak across the small upper Goat lakes were outstanding:

From the col, I got a view of Merritt and the upper Goat lakes:

Thompson up close:

Photo of Castle for Dave, who hopefully was on that peak at this time:

Had a fun run from the col back toward the upper lakes. Snow was decent. Sticky, but hey, it's July:

Goat Lake from above:

Another good run down to the lake, and then it was time for fishing. Not often there's a fishing pole and ice ax on my pack:

Is there a better place to be on a summer day than an Idaho alpine lake:

Summer's in full bloom down low:

No fish caught today, but I should have better luck on my next attempt.

Hope everyone else is having a great Independence Day weekend.

Jim

July 4th, 2010, 5:23 am #9

Where is that lake you were taking picture of? Is there much for fish in there?

Jacob R.

July 4th, 2010, 5:51 am #10

Goat Lake.

I didn't catch anything and gave up after 20 casts or so. Didn't see any fish either.

Talked to a guy who caught 1 fish after 100 casts.

Doesn't seem to be much there. Or maybe fish haven't started biting yet?

Beautiful lake, though. Well worth the hike.

Jim

Confirmation of reply: