Peak for Outing

Peak for Outing

Dan
Dan

April 8th, 2010, 4:03 pm #1

When picking a peak for the outing, I am keeping safety, scenery, camping, trip stats (mileage and gain), and this spring, accessibility, in mind. Not everyone is capable of a 5000' snow climb. Invisible, Smoky Dome, Goat Mountain, etc... are all wonderful ideas, but each are over 5000' feet of climbing. Not to mention the technical difficulty and avalanche danger that Invisible and Goat would introduce.

Some of the other ideas like 10941 in the Boulders didn't seem to thrill anyone.

John and I have been kicking around some ideas for peaks via email. Here is the best alternative in my mind:

Little and Big Sister in the Lemhis - Tom's book says they are great early season destinations. The access should be snowfree, as the approach roads are west facing and on alluvial fans, not canyons. The route is safe (on a moderately sloped ridge). The trip stats are reasonable at 5 miles and 3800' (for Little Sister, add more for Big Sister). There are also some potential gullies on the north side for those looking for some adventure (or the whole group if conditions are right). It keeps us in the Lemhi range. The views should be spectacular, as we will be between Bell and Diamond. And people that want to ski can ski it, and those that want to snowshoe can do that.

What do you guys think?

Dan
Dan

April 8th, 2010, 4:14 pm #2

April 8th, 2010, 4:32 pm #3

When picking a peak for the outing, I am keeping safety, scenery, camping, trip stats (mileage and gain), and this spring, accessibility, in mind. Not everyone is capable of a 5000' snow climb. Invisible, Smoky Dome, Goat Mountain, etc... are all wonderful ideas, but each are over 5000' feet of climbing. Not to mention the technical difficulty and avalanche danger that Invisible and Goat would introduce.

Some of the other ideas like 10941 in the Boulders didn't seem to thrill anyone.

John and I have been kicking around some ideas for peaks via email. Here is the best alternative in my mind:

Little and Big Sister in the Lemhis - Tom's book says they are great early season destinations. The access should be snowfree, as the approach roads are west facing and on alluvial fans, not canyons. The route is safe (on a moderately sloped ridge). The trip stats are reasonable at 5 miles and 3800' (for Little Sister, add more for Big Sister). There are also some potential gullies on the north side for those looking for some adventure (or the whole group if conditions are right). It keeps us in the Lemhi range. The views should be spectacular, as we will be between Bell and Diamond. And people that want to ski can ski it, and those that want to snowshoe can do that.

What do you guys think?
Usually a good bet, still, snow may still present a problem, either on the road in, or the climb itself.

Climbed these on more than one occasion. Beautiful scenery without a doubt. And there is that old cabin on the upper ridge of Little Sister, though this time of year it may be under 10 feet of snow.

Keep in mind that the NW portion of Little Sister is cliffy, very cliffy...just a FYI.

April 8th, 2010, 4:46 pm #4

It has been over 10 years since I have been up there.....so the cabin location may be a bit off....

michael
michael

April 8th, 2010, 5:00 pm #5

What do you guys think?
looks like a good option to me

Dan
Dan

April 8th, 2010, 5:28 pm #6

It has been over 10 years since I have been up there.....so the cabin location may be a bit off....
Thank you! That is very helpful.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 8th, 2010, 5:51 pm #7

What do you guys think?
I like the Boulders- I know 3 others besides myself that are going because off Peak 10941.

I know its hard to make everyone happy so you will have to do what makes the majority happy. Maybe set up 3 peaks to vote on and make your decison from that.

rob W
rob W

April 8th, 2010, 7:19 pm #8

What do you guys think?
I was just looking at Topo......just wondering where you approach from?

rob w
rob w

April 8th, 2010, 7:29 pm #9

park on the road at Clyde and go from there?

Dan
Dan

April 8th, 2010, 7:30 pm #10

I was just looking at Topo......just wondering where you approach from?
Mud Spring or the road that branches off from that.

Confirmation of reply: