Official 2012 Spring Outing Plan

Official 2012 Spring Outing Plan

April 28th, 2012, 4:33 pm #1

The vote was a tie between Saddle and 10027. Since Matt changed his vote to 10027, that breaks the tie.

So we will be climbing Peak 10027 in the Sawtooth Mountains on May 12th. The peak is about 2 miles northwest of Alturas Lake.

We will plan to stay at Alturas Lake (assuming it is open by then). If the campground isn't open, we will find an alternative and publish at least a couple of days before the outing. Right now, lets plan to meet at the lake Friday night around 6pm. I plan to have food, drinks, a fire, and lots of laughs.

We will climb the peak from the Cabin Creek drainage. Here is a link to the trailhead on the forest service website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sawtooth ... 9&actid=50

The climb will be about 7.5 miles round trip with a 2900' gain. You will probably need snowshoes or skis. You might want crampons and an axe.

Options for the peak include possibly a harder route on the east face. Skiing down the east face. Traversing over to McDonald Peak.

This outing is open to everyone: young/old, fast/slow, experienced/novice, ugly/pretty (we do prefer pretty).

Plan to start the hike around 7am on Saturday morning. Based on weather, snow conditions, etc... that start time might move up or down by an hour or two.
Last edited by idahosummits on May 1st, 2012, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoove
Smoove

April 28th, 2012, 6:15 pm #2

If that campground isn't open, there's always the idea of camping along the road to Iron Creek Trailhead. We've stayed along that area for the past five years with no problems. Only issue is there are no established bathrooms, so you'll have to dookie in the woods if needed. Also, not sure if the road there is open, or where the snowline is. From looking at the Sawtooth webcam, all looks good to me. Granted, there would be a little drive on summit day.

Just a thought.

April 29th, 2012, 4:32 pm #3

The vote was a tie between Saddle and 10027. Since Matt changed his vote to 10027, that breaks the tie.

So we will be climbing Peak 10027 in the Sawtooth Mountains on May 12th. The peak is about 2 miles northwest of Alturas Lake.

We will plan to stay at Alturas Lake (assuming it is open by then). If the campground isn't open, we will find an alternative and publish at least a couple of days before the outing. Right now, lets plan to meet at the lake Friday night around 6pm. I plan to have food, drinks, a fire, and lots of laughs.

We will climb the peak from the Cabin Creek drainage. Here is a link to the trailhead on the forest service website:

The climb will be about 7.5 miles round trip with a 2900' gain. You will probably need snowshoes or skis. You might want crampons and an axe.

Options for the peak include possibly a harder route on the east face. Skiing down the east face. Traversing over to McDonald Peak.

This outing is open to everyone: young/old, fast/slow, experienced/novice, ugly/pretty (we do prefer pretty).

Plan to start the hike around 7am on Saturday morning. Based on weather, snow conditions, etc... that start time might move up or down by an hour or two.
thanks

Dan
Dan

May 1st, 2012, 2:52 am #4

I was a bit off on the trailhead... here is a link showing the trailhead (with coordinates):

John F
John F

May 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm #5

Dan, I am in. Not too sure if I will ski or hike, but I'll be there.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:46 pm #6

It will be nice to see you all again.

May 3rd, 2012, 3:18 pm #7

I have been out of town for the past 2 of these, and looks like I will be again this year. Have fun and I wish I could make it.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 3rd, 2012, 5:41 pm #8

Steve W., John P., Eric, Sean, Dave P., other Dave P., Nathan, Kris, Jacob, Margo, Steve M., Bob, Leslie, George, Pat, Rob, Margie, Zach, Michael, Aaron, Mike, etc... any of you guys/gals in?

Nathan B
Nathan B

May 3rd, 2012, 6:11 pm #9

I pretty sure I will come just got back from the Karakorum so trying to regroup life but want to be out on the weekends

splattski
splattski

May 3rd, 2012, 8:21 pm #10

I'm arriving late, but in.

Confirmation of reply: