Need Snow and a place in SEI to XC Ski

Need Snow and a place in SEI to XC Ski

December 13th, 2010, 4:31 pm #1

The Pocatello area has had some charming warm winter weather and alas, there is hardly any snow left. What snow there is can only be found at higher elevations and can only be categorized as sheets of ice, smooth lovely sheets and blankets of ice. The skis I am using have metal edges, but, I have found myself missing lovely powder and snow that moves a bit. Missing snow a lot. The storm we were supposed to have came in the form as rain. This has not made for nice snow either. The storm was very disappointing.

Does anyone know where I might find, on my side of the state, some decent snow? Keep in mind I am in an all wheel drive car with all season tires. Yes, the snow thingys that I am drawing a blank on - chains, I need to get, because I get stuck and have to dig myself out or wait for some dear saint to help me.

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 13th, 2010, 5:02 pm #2

Craters of the Moon has a nice X-country track, about a 5-6 mile loop. If you catch it on a sunny wind free day it's a great little trip. Plowed parking and free.

December 13th, 2010, 5:18 pm #3

Ditto of Craters of the Moon. You may also want to try the Bear River Range which is between Preston and Bear Lake. There's some really good areas there and there should be quite a bit of snow right now. I can provide more specific info on that area if you want.

December 13th, 2010, 5:24 pm #4

I will try craters for sure. We are supposed to maybe get a little bit of snow this week. And yes, please Matt, provide me with some more info. I've hiked around that area a little bit. I would like head that way- and not get stuck.

my e is bella hike n climb found at gmail.

many, many thanks.

December 13th, 2010, 5:55 pm #5

You may also want to try the Island Park Area. It's usually pretty good and has a lot of possibilities.

Mike F.
Mike F.

December 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm #6

Has some fun trails and its not to far of a drive also up by Grand Targhee there is a great 6-7 trail that has great views of the teton range the entire way in. if you're not doing anything on Saturday I'd be more then happy to join you. I was planning a tip up north then anyway. Hope that helps,

Mike F

December 13th, 2010, 9:18 pm #7

Mike, I'll give you a call- think I still have your number. I would love to go together if I can work my weekend around it. I'm to the point where I need some pointers, so....

i keep just about pulling my shoulder out of my socket when I try to slow down and make a right turn- the attempt at slowing and turning causes my skis to go left and I fall with my right arm behind me and it it gets dragged behind the rest of my body-

IdahoCliff
IdahoCliff

December 14th, 2010, 10:52 pm #8

The Pocatello area has had some charming warm winter weather and alas, there is hardly any snow left. What snow there is can only be found at higher elevations and can only be categorized as sheets of ice, smooth lovely sheets and blankets of ice. The skis I am using have metal edges, but, I have found myself missing lovely powder and snow that moves a bit. Missing snow a lot. The storm we were supposed to have came in the form as rain. This has not made for nice snow either. The storm was very disappointing.

Does anyone know where I might find, on my side of the state, some decent snow? Keep in mind I am in an all wheel drive car with all season tires. Yes, the snow thingys that I am drawing a blank on - chains, I need to get, because I get stuck and have to dig myself out or wait for some dear saint to help me.

Thank you in advance.
Specifically for the Island Park area check out the Harriman State Park Web Page at:http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/harriman.aspx Note the links to their excellent trail maps.
The Idaho Falls Ski Club has a page of XC Ski Area Maps including most of the developed XC Ski Trails in Eastern Idaho at:http://www.ifskiclub.com/WeatherAreasMa ... fault.aspx Many of these sites also have un-groomed trails if thats more to your liking.

The Beaverhead-Deerlodge (BHDL) "Official" XC trail site has links to maps of XC Ski Trails east of Lost Trail Pass on Hwy 93 near the Montana Idaho border. One map shows the groomed XC trails and another shows ungroomed trails. - Go to my web page below for a link to this site.

The Caribou-Targhee NF Recreation Page has a link to Winter Sports and then to XC Ski Trails where you can find a list of trails. But they give absolutely no information. Check with one of their offices in Pocatello or Idaho Falls.

With the predicted La Niña year I would expect that you would eventually have plenty of snow in the Mink Cr. area near Pocatello.

For info on ungroomed trails near Salmon check out my web page at:http://home.custertel.net/~ckeene41/cksalxcski.htm I also have links to trails near Stanley and Ketchum. My page has contact info if you have specific questions.
/s/ Cliff

December 14th, 2010, 11:36 pm #9

Cliff:

That is quite a lot of great info on your page. Thanks. Yes, as soon as we get some snow, there are plenty of wonderful places 10 minutes away from me to ski. Until then, looks like I'll be heading over to Kelly Canyon and Craters later in the week. I really appreciate all the great links provided on your site. Thanks for sharing.

bella

Confirmation of reply: