Mustang Peak- NorthWest Face route pics

Mustang Peak- NorthWest Face route pics

SeanD
SeanD

July 25th, 2011, 4:23 am #1

Up in beautiful Wildhorse Basin today- found some really solid rock and did 7 roped pitches of climbing- 4th Class to 5.5 w/ some simul-climbing. This route is just west of the North ridge route. There's some great rock back there, and it's pleasantly solid. Used Leidecker's book to give us an idea of the rock climbing potential there. There's other ridges and rock routes all around.

Much of the route was 4th- to low 5th, but the 5th and 6th pitches were 5.5 and John led the 5th pitch here

John cleaning the last steep section near the top.

July 25th, 2011, 4:24 pm #2

Nice work Sean! Matt's book will have you looking close for little yellow dashed lines! I guess my question of the snow being off Broken Arrow is answered. How was the road past the campground?

SeanD
SeanD

July 25th, 2011, 8:13 pm #3

Thanks Ralph- The road past Wildhorse CG had a sign that said "Road closed due to Avalanche", but we got past and easily to the trail. That road is really rough- clearance and 4WD required. Think Hell Roaring Road. Snow wise, not much except on the upper north faces of Hyndman and Old Hyndman.

splattski
splattski

July 26th, 2011, 2:07 am #4

Nice work Sean! Matt's book will have you looking close for little yellow dashed lines! I guess my question of the snow being off Broken Arrow is answered. How was the road past the campground?
Congrats, Sean!

Ralph-
This just looks too cool.
My hand strength is coming back from pulling nails all summer. You driving?

July 26th, 2011, 4:46 am #5

Sean's Hell Roaring reference has me a little nervous! I might be able to swing something with taking my wife's truck instead of my Suby. Weather looks pretty good this weekend...

July 26th, 2011, 5:11 am #6

Just remembered your schedule! This weekend is out!

pat
pat

July 26th, 2011, 6:21 pm #7

Sean's Hell Roaring reference has me a little nervous! I might be able to swing something with taking my wife's truck instead of my Suby. Weather looks pretty good this weekend...
I recommend riding a mountain bike from Wildhorse campground. It takes about 15 minutes longer than driving up and won't hurt your car. Stash your bikes in the woods near the final big meadow/camping area and walk the last 1/4 mile. On the return, a bike may be faster than driving. The road is not steep and fine for biking.

crappyclimber
crappyclimber

July 28th, 2011, 3:54 am #8

Up in beautiful Wildhorse Basin today- found some really solid rock and did 7 roped pitches of climbing- 4th Class to 5.5 w/ some simul-climbing. This route is just west of the North ridge route. There's some great rock back there, and it's pleasantly solid. Used Leidecker's book to give us an idea of the rock climbing potential there. There's other ridges and rock routes all around.

Much of the route was 4th- to low 5th, but the 5th and 6th pitches were 5.5 and John led the 5th pitch here

John cleaning the last steep section near the top.
Nice job guys looks like that route was a blast to climb. VERY aesthetic!!

GP

dave b
dave b

July 28th, 2011, 1:23 pm #9

I recommend riding a mountain bike from Wildhorse campground. It takes about 15 minutes longer than driving up and won't hurt your car. Stash your bikes in the woods near the final big meadow/camping area and walk the last 1/4 mile. On the return, a bike may be faster than driving. The road is not steep and fine for biking.
We took the subi up last year but regretted it. Biking would be a good call.

Confirmation of reply: