Mt. Morrison

Mt. Morrison

Geo
Geo

July 29th, 2012, 10:22 pm #1

John R & I climbed Mt. Morrison yesterday via RB's Gully #3 route. I was expecting a scree slog, but we were pleasantly surprised. The footing was pretty solid in or near the bottom of the gully and there were some fun scrambling sections.

The view on top was great (linked to full size):

The descent (5000' in 2.5 miles as the crow flies) was brutal.

-George

splattski
splattski

July 30th, 2012, 2:10 am #2

More great shots, Geo.
That pano shows more route information than you can shake a stick at.

Wes
Wes

July 30th, 2012, 2:23 am #3

John R & I climbed Mt. Morrison yesterday via RB's Gully #3 route. I was expecting a scree slog, but we were pleasantly surprised. The footing was pretty solid in or near the bottom of the gully and there were some fun scrambling sections.

-George
I agree, Great photos! that gully looks like a bowling alley to me. Any sign of that giant Ram that hangs out up there?

Geo
Geo

July 30th, 2012, 2:31 am #4

Thanks, All.

...as far as the Ram goes, saw nothing but (old) turds.

Speaking of the pano ...The Sac looks kinda scary for the route I was thinking of taking!
-George

splattski
splattski

July 30th, 2012, 3:30 am #5

Our Sac route looks scary on that photo. Let me know if you want me to draw our route in for you, because it ended up not being that bad. I thought rather fun, actually.

I'm trying to figure out if you climbed the same gully on Morrison as Sean and I did in the snow. I don't think so- I think we were farther to the south (climber's right).
But in agreeing with Wes, a lot of loose crap looks much better when covered with snow.

Geo
Geo

July 30th, 2012, 6:33 pm #6

Spot 2 is the summit, spot 3 is the truck. The red line is a quick sketch of our ascent route. Agreed, it would have looked better covered with snow, but it wasn't that bad. There was so much rubble laying on the ground that it kept anything you kicked loose from traveling too far ...in most places. We merged into the ridge south of the gully on our descent. The trees are pretty thick and the ground is steep and covered with a thick carpet of pine needles. Any rocks kicked loose there went fast and far.

I'm not sure either if we were on the same route as you & Sean. If you'd just climb when the weather was better for pictures...

The other vector is to spot 1 at Park Ck campground where we spent the night. Had the place to ourselves until a rig rolled in just after dark. Found out the next morning that is was the Math Guys, who were headed into Copper Basin for some alpine adventure.

-George

splattski
splattski

July 30th, 2012, 6:59 pm #7

I think we were in the same gully, but finished up the last bit more climber's left.
We came out in a saddle on the ridge and couldn't tell which point was higher until we got to the summit (climber's right).

Geo
Geo

July 30th, 2012, 7:03 pm #8

After taking another look... I'd agree

our trip:

your trip:

-George

SummitGirl
SummitGirl

July 31st, 2012, 6:24 am #9

-George
Awesome Geo!!

splattski
splattski

July 31st, 2012, 3:10 pm #10

After taking another look... I'd agree

our trip:

your trip:

-George
Confirmed. Good detective work, Geo.

Nice study in contrast, too!

Confirmation of reply: