Mount Idaho

Mount Idaho

June 25th, 2012, 11:42 pm #1

Has anyone approached it from the west side? The drainage that comes down to the Borah camp ground. It looks 'do-able' but it also looks like an awful, steep scree field. Does anyone have experience with this area?

Also - looking to get up there in about a month, if anyone has the desire to join.

Tom

June 26th, 2012, 1:14 am #2

The standard approach to Mt. Idaho is from the west via Elkhorn Creek. There is a small dry ravine on the north side of the canyon that gives you access to the west ridge of Idaho. I recall looking down from there into the canyon you're talking about (the one that is south of Borah and ends at Idaho's west ridge) and thinking it would be a long day but doable route. If there's snow on the slope leading up to the ridge you may have an easier time of it since you can avoid the scree.

splattski
splattski

June 26th, 2012, 1:15 am #3

Has anyone approached it from the west side? The drainage that comes down to the Borah camp ground. It looks 'do-able' but it also looks like an awful, steep scree field. Does anyone have experience with this area?

Also - looking to get up there in about a month, if anyone has the desire to join.

Tom
TR, but from May (a few years back)

http://www.splattski.com/2006/idaho/index.html

June 26th, 2012, 1:18 am #4

The standard approach to Mt. Idaho is from the west via Elkhorn Creek. There is a small dry ravine on the north side of the canyon that gives you access to the west ridge of Idaho. I recall looking down from there into the canyon you're talking about (the one that is south of Borah and ends at Idaho's west ridge) and thinking it would be a long day but doable route. If there's snow on the slope leading up to the ridge you may have an easier time of it since you can avoid the scree.
Here's a pic of Idaho's west ridge from near the top of the "secret" ravine that leads to it.

June 26th, 2012, 1:56 am #5

TR, but from May (a few years back)

http://www.splattski.com/2006/idaho/index.html
I think I mean Ceder creek. It's to the north of the west ridge. Not the standard approach. I guess I got turned around on google earth. Thanks for the responses and TR link, but I think it might be as bad as it looks! Guess I'll probably just stick to the standard approach / route.

June 26th, 2012, 2:41 am #6

Tom
...dropped and lost our roll of duct-tape down that drainage from the ridge-top... it rolled forever....

zdv

June 26th, 2012, 5:55 am #7

I think I mean Ceder creek. It's to the north of the west ridge. Not the standard approach. I guess I got turned around on google earth. Thanks for the responses and TR link, but I think it might be as bad as it looks! Guess I'll probably just stick to the standard approach / route.
I do recall that drainage appearing to have a significant talus field leading up to the summit ridge. Of course, so does the Elkhorn approach. Without having been on it, I can't say what it's like.

The Cedar Creek approach seems like it would differ mostly from the Elkhorn Creek in terms of distance (it is signifcantly further) and in terms of bushwhacking (Elkhorn Creek has a trail and one is likely not present in Cedar Creek). Mt Idaho is a big day using the standard route and those two items would make it even bigger.

If you do this, we'd all like to hear how it goes!

Confirmation of reply: