May powder

May powder

May 7th, 2012, 3:48 am #1

May powder is not easy to get given the high sun angle. But if you go on a cool day shortly after the snowfall, and ski steep north slopes at high elevation, it is possible. I went to the northern Sawtooths this weekend.

Saturday featured snowsqualls:

Followed by sunshine a few minutes later:

Some of the squalls were so intense I had to hunker down:

But was then skiing sunny powder shortly afterward:

Was thinking I should have brought the fishing pole:

Today was bluebird:

Highlight was skiing deep powder in a remote setting, ~10 miles from the trailhead. I was solo so I skied conservative runs:

Could see my tracks from miles away:

May 7th, 2012, 5:07 am #2

But what I could do and did was sneak away for a quick run in similar conditions up Brundage. Did you go by yourself? I was trying to find some ski partners.

How would you compare the snow up high in the Sawtooths with this time last year? I've got the last week of June off and was wondering if any cutthroat/coulair action will be left by then. If not, then maybe N to the Bitterroots or Canadian peaks.

May 7th, 2012, 5:11 am #3

May powder is not easy to get given the high sun angle. But if you go on a cool day shortly after the snowfall, and ski steep north slopes at high elevation, it is possible. I went to the northern Sawtooths this weekend.

Today was bluebird:

Highlight was skiing deep powder in a remote setting, ~10 miles from the trailhead. I was solo so I skied conservative runs:

Your pics are truly inspiring. Beautiful

May 7th, 2012, 1:53 pm #4

Today was bluebird:

Awesome!

May 7th, 2012, 4:13 pm #5

Today was bluebird:

Nice tracks! I think we could see them from the highway (unless there was someone else getting after it in the Northern Sawtooths).

I went out with the Z-Man yesterday and we managed to find some powder of our own south of Alturas Lake . . .

Dr. Z skinning up the ridge:

I was surprised to drop into some nice windblown powder on the face! Here are our tracks:

splattski
splattski

May 7th, 2012, 4:14 pm #6

Today was bluebird:

Very shapely turns, Jim.

Any beta on the approach? Where are you driving/parking?
Thanks-

splattski
splattski

May 7th, 2012, 4:18 pm #7

Nice tracks! I think we could see them from the highway (unless there was someone else getting after it in the Northern Sawtooths).

I went out with the Z-Man yesterday and we managed to find some powder of our own south of Alturas Lake . . .

Dr. Z skinning up the ridge:

I was surprised to drop into some nice windblown powder on the face! Here are our tracks:
More nice shots.
Eureka Gulch?

May 7th, 2012, 4:39 pm #8

Here's a picture looking south from Alturas Creek Rd. If you look close you can see our tracks.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 7th, 2012, 8:18 pm #9

Did you take the picture from west of Alturas Lake?

May 7th, 2012, 8:32 pm #10

Here is where it is on the map:

Confirmation of reply: